Floyd V Manny

quinty

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not entirely sure how wearing heavier gloves (a couple of ounces heavier that is) makes you more vulnerable to the body punches of lighter journeymen, to be honest. And if he didn't make weight and got punished for it, it would suggest he WASN'T sufficiently dehydrated. But regardless, Marquez 4 wasn't in the Philippines, and neither was Morales 1, which was arguably more impressive than a KO. Morales didn't get a lucky shot, he brawled with him and won clearly.

Whatever Manny's advantages over Mayweather, I'd have a hard time imagining Mayweather losing to Morales, and I'd back Mayweather against Marquez every single time. Boxing is about finding the answers for each opponent. Manny learned against Morales. He never seemed to against Marquez, the smartest guy he has fought. His offensive skillset has never been more effectively neutered by anyone else than this elite counter-puncher.

It's hard to keep guys off when you're wearing pillows. The fights he got stopped in early are in youtube if you ever fancy looking them up. He was certainly drained, he failed to make weight for those fights and moved up after those losses. There is a double-standard with Pacquioa's detractors, they point out his early losses when he wasn't close to being fit to fight yet downplay his win & performance over DeLaHoya given Oscar's conditioning.

As for Floyd losing to Morales, it's a fairly common knowledge Morales lit him up in sparring, and incidently, Morales has picked Pacquiao, citing too much workrate & heart for Floyd. And Morales is certainly better than Castillo who I had getting the better of Mayweather over 24 rounds.

I don't much buy the Mayweather-Marquez comparisons, I hear a lot this point that Floyd's just a better counter-punching version of Marquez which is ridicolous. Pacquiao himself is a counter-puncher. all 3 of them have hugely different styles. In order for Marquez to land his best punches in 4 fights he had to take a lot of punishment (such is the nature of his style), being dropped 4 times in 4 fights.

I don't see Floyd winning this fight. He's not going to plant his feet like Marquez once he fires that first counter-punch, he's a pot-shot & runner, those tactics aren't going to wash with Pacquiao, who has faster feet, equally as fast hands, and head/lateral movement that Floyd's never seen before. I think the fight will be pretty similar to the Pacquiao-Bradley fights. Pretty lop-sided in favour of Pacquiao with some dodgy judging and people claiming it was close when it wasn't.

Pacman can't fight for a full round any more and his 1 punch knock out power seems to have left him as well.

Mayweather will win this, he will abandon his usual head roll because he is facing a southpaw, he'll engage more as his footwork is slowing but ultimately he will win on points. If Marquez can time Pacman so can Mayweather.

This fight is being made 3 years to late. Mayweather, as normal, has waited until his opponent has started to slide.

Pacman can't fight for a full round any more and his 1 punch knock out power seems to have left him as well.

Mayweather will win this, he will abandon his usual head roll because he is facing a southpaw, he'll engage more as his footwork is slowing but ultimately he will win on points. If Marquez can time Pacman so can Mayweather.

This fight is being made 3 years to late. Mayweather, as normal, has waited until his opponent has started to slide.

You mean shoulder roll? :lol:

It's hard to keep guys off when you're wearing pillows. The fights he got stopped in early are in youtube if you ever fancy looking them up. He was certainly drained, he failed to make weight for those fights and moved up after those losses. There is a double-standard with Pacquioa's detractors, they point out his early losses when he wasn't close to being fit to fight yet downplay his win & performance over DeLaHoya given Oscar's conditioning.

As for Floyd losing to Morales, it's a fairly common knowledge Morales lit him up in sparring, and incidently, Morales has picked Pacquiao, citing too much workrate & heart for Floyd. And Morales is certainly better than Castillo who I had getting the better of Mayweather over 24 rounds.

I don't much buy the Mayweather-Marquez comparisons, I hear a lot this point that Floyd's just a better counter-punching version of Marquez which is ridicolous. Pacquiao himself is a counter-puncher. all 3 of them have hugely different styles. In order for Marquez to land his best punches in 4 fights he had to take a lot of punishment (such is the nature of his style), being dropped 4 times in 4 fights.

I don't see Floyd winning this fight. He's not going to plant his feet like Marquez once he fires that first counter-punch, he's a pot-shot & runner, those tactics aren't going to wash with Pacquiao, who has faster feet, equally as fast hands, and head/lateral movement that Floyd's never seen before. I think the fight will be pretty similar to the Pacquiao-Bradley fights. Pretty lop-sided in favour of Pacquiao with some dodgy judging and people claiming it was close when it wasn't.

I think the opposite :lol: This is why I love boxing. I would of said Pacquiao 3 years ago but now I think Mayweather will be able to time him now. But Mayweather will have to work a lot more against Pac than he has done for a long time.

I'm not at all surprised Morales picks Manny. Virtually every fighter with a loss to someone backs that someone in future fights. It makes his win over Manny look even better (and it was a great, great win, as Manny is a great, great fighter) if Manny goes on to defeat other all-time greats, and it makes him feel better about getting whipped twice by Manny. I wouldn't take sparring to mean very much. Zahir Raheem was like Floyd-lite and he comprehensively outboxed Morales. Styles, as the cliche goes, make fights.

As for Marquez, he's certainly not much like Mayweather as a fighter, I agree, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to mention his knockdowns as if three out out of four weren't in the first round of the first fight. I think it's fair to say he adjusted pretty well. He didn't need to "take a lot of punishment" in winning the majority of the remaining 11 rounds. He gave Manny trouble with his movement, his sense of distance and his timing, he didn't exactly drop his hands and throw haymakers :P

I don't think it's crazy to say that even without any outrageous judging, Pacquiao could easily be 0-4 against Marquez. Which would add up to eight losses. As lacking as Mayweather's CV might be in some regards, there's one arguable loss on there (I score it a win for Castillo in the first fight, but it's not a scandal or anything).

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with Mayweather vs Pacquiao is a moot point, I can't really call it at this point, and I certainly HOPE Manny wins, but yeah, stylistic differences aside I think Mayweather has been the better boxer. Because he has found the answers when needed.

And there's a reason why manny has lost 5 fights and should be more.

And yet Floyd has been ducking Manny for years on end, he knows he wouldn't be able to cope with him back then.

It won't be as clear cut this time since manny is on the decline but he will still beat him.

I'm not at all surprised Morales picks Manny. Virtually every fighter with a loss to someone backs that someone in future fights. It makes his win over Manny look even better (and it was a great, great win, as Manny is a great, great fighter) if Manny goes on to defeat other all-time greats, and it makes him feel better about getting whipped twice by Manny. I wouldn't take sparring to mean very much. Zahir Raheem was like Floyd-lite and he comprehensively outboxed Morales. Styles, as the cliche goes, make fights.

As for Marquez, he's certainly not much like Mayweather as a fighter, I agree, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to mention his knockdowns as if three out out of four weren't in the first round of the first fight. I think it's fair to say he adjusted pretty well. He didn't need to "take a lot of punishment" in winning the majority of the remaining 11 rounds. He gave Manny trouble with his movement, his sense of distance and his timing, he didn't exactly drop his hands and throw haymakers :P

I don't think it's crazy to say that even without any outrageous judging, Pacquiao could easily be 0-4 against Marquez. Which would add up to eight losses. As lacking as Mayweather's CV might be in some regards, there's one arguable loss on there (I score it a win for Castillo in the first fight, but it's not a scandal or anything).

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with Mayweather vs Pacquiao is a moot point, I can't really call it at this point, and I certainly HOPE Manny wins, but yeah, stylistic differences aside I think Mayweather has been the better boxer. Because he has found the answers when needed.

I find the conspiracy theories over who someone picks tiresome. Hopkins picked Mayweather; he's an African-American supremacist. Cotto picked Pacquiao; he's brainwashed by thier common trainer Freddy Roach. Marquez picked Mayweather, his trainer Nacho Beristain picked Pacquiao. Could it just be Morales & Cotto picked Pacquiao because they think he will win, and vice-versa for Hopkins & Marquez?

As for Pacquiao's problems with Marquez, personally i think if you take the KO out of the equation Pacquiao without doubt got the better of Marquez. Infact if it weren't for a judge incorrectly scoring round 1 of fight 1 10-7 instead of 10-6, Pacquiao would have been 3-0 over Marquez. Never-the-less the point is legitimate. Pacquiao has barely lost a round since coming to America to fight Ledwaba. Only really Morales in 1 fight & Marquez over 4 fights managed to compete with Pacquiao. But they both had 1 crucial factor; punch power. Both are all-time-great Mexican warriors and could keep Pacquiao at bay, particularly Marquez, snapping his head back with counters to keep him off from time-to-time. Maywether on the other hand, i'm not sure he hits hard enough to keep Pacquiao off, and even if he could he doesn't sit down on his shots like he would have to, as it would put him in the trenches with Pacquiao. He's going to utilise his reach as he always does, throwing arm punches off the back foot. That isn't going to keep Pacquiao off him. and from that end, it will be Pacquiao forcing Floyd to fight his fight, where as the mainstream seem to believe this fight takes the same old pattern as any other Floyd fight as if he were facing the slow, flat-footed Guerrero or Alvarez and not Pacquiao.

I think you will see a more effective punch ratio from floyd

He's just as fit, if not fitter than manny.

The guy trains for 90 mins without taking a 60 second rest at times in the gym

He can easily throw as many punches per round as manny , only he chooses not too

He's quicker than manny and will counter punch him if needed but I think floyd will throw more punches than we have saw from him in years

Nice one mate, much was the ticket :matron:?

Not got a ticket for the fight mate! Over from the 30th of April til the 9th of May! Flights were £730 and my hotel room is $600 all in for the 10 nights.

Thankfully had it booked before the fight was confirmed as it's $500 a night on the Friday and Saturday now at The Linq :lol:

Not got a ticket for the fight mate! Over from the 30th of April til the 9th of May! Flights were £730 and my hotel room is $600 all in for the 10 nights.

Thankfully had it booked before the fight was confirmed as it's $500 a night on the Friday and Saturday now at The Linq :lol:

Fucking hell :lol: