No Pope, Priest or Holy Water. A MOPE quandary.

Colonel Mustard

I was just thinking about the song in my thread title, and what the reaction might be if it made a comeback among the Rangers support.

I mused that if we sang it, it would include 2 terms of debate in the "sectarian argument", and wondered how the MOPE and the sectarian industry would react to these words.

OK, here we go for my explanation...

The words of the song, for those too young to have been there, is...

No pope priests or holy water,

No home rule for Ireland,

If I had a Tommy gun,

I'd shoot every f****n h**,

Just for walking on the Queen's highway.

So, with the "banning" of the TBB anthem for the use of the word "f enian", and the refusal to act on the "Go home ya H***" and other use of the H word by the scum, how would the sectarian crusaders act towards a song with both words in the lyric?

Would they go after "f enian" and ignore "h un"?

Would they ignore both because they didn't want to chase them for "h un"?

Or would they be forced to finally clamp down on both, making any reference to the H word an actionable crime against the tarriers, because the crusaders would have to keep up their stance against us using "f enian?

It would be interesting to find out by singing the song. If nothing else happened, at least it's a good Proddy re-addition to the repertoire.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

celtic were called the H*** before they started calling us it. they got called it for supporting germany in the wars.

typical of them to deflect things on to us.

Of course, it all makes sense. I always thought it was "one"

I'd shoot every fen**n one. Tbf "one" does sound better

I was just thinking about the song in my thread title, and what the reaction might be if it made a comeback among the Rangers support.

I mused that if we sang it, it would include 2 terms of debate in the "sectarian argument", and wondered how the MOPE and the sectarian industry would react to these words.

If I had a Tommy gun,

So, with the "banning" of the TBB anthem for the use of the word "f enian", and the refusal to act on the "Go home ya H***" and other use of the H word by the scum, how would the sectarian crusaders act towards a song with both words in the lyric?

Or would they be forced to finally clamp down on both, making any reference to the H word an actionable crime against the tarriers, because the crusaders would have to keep up their stance against us using "f enian?

It would be interesting to find out by singing the song. If nothing else happened, at least it's a good Proddy re-addition to the repertoire.

They'd ban it for being inappropriate and it would likely see us facing fines and all sorts.

Whether or not they go into the details of why they ban it is a different story.

Wouldn't want it to be sung these days anyway, would be of no benefit to the club as things stand.

They'd ban it for being inappropriate and it would likely see us facing fines and all sorts.

Whether or not they go into the details of why they ban it is a different story.

Wouldn't want it to be sung these days anyway, would be of no benefit to the club as things stand.

Point well and truly missed.

Point well and truly missed.

I said it would be banned regardless but whether or not they addressed the specifics ( such as condoning the use of either word ) would be in question.

I could see them banning it because it is sectarian rather than actually say 'we banned it because of this word and that one'.

Hardly point missed.

I said it would be banned regardless but whether or not they addressed the specifics ( such as condoning the use of either word ) would be in question.

I could see them banning it because it is sectarian rather than actually say 'we banned it because of this word and that one'.

Hardly point missed.

You mean they would ban it without being specific about what was offensive? I'm fucking shocked.

I'd never have thought that the sectarian industry would do that. I'm beeling I tell ye.

I'm no expert at song lyrics but that sounds ridiculous

Where did you grow up that you don't know that song mate? We sang that everyweek on our bus (Ayr) - one guy in particular, wee Rocky, absolutely loved it.

It's still popular in my house.

:crabflute:

The majority of Gers fans are non-religious now anyway and the numbers are growing at such a fast rate. Religion is a doomed tradition that nobody can protect. I get the point you were trying to make but i suspect regardless it would end up with the club being punished so its not worth even experimenting with.

:21: :21: :21: :21: :mad: :mad: :21: :21: :21: :21:

The majority of Gers fans are non-religious now anyway and the numbers are growing at such a fast rate. Religion is a doomed tradition that nobody can protect. I get the point you were trying to make but i suspect regardless it would end up with the club being punished so its not worth even experimenting with.

:21: :21: :21: :21: :mad: :mad: :21: :21: :21: :21:

No Surrender.

On my old busit had already been changed to bum, if memory serves.

H*n had already been hijacked by that time. Although no doubt they will deny that, just as Rodgers and Hamerstein never wrote the song walk on for their musical.

"It wiz uz thit rote that, so it wiz. dey yanks knocked it oaf maan"

If I had a Tommy gun,

I always thought it was no nuns priests or holy water not no pope with the pope being in instead of mope but that's not the point it would be banned the first time we sang it.

Having said that it could be then argued that as a song containing the H word has been banned then the word should be banned in total.

Thought it was already illegal anyway.

On my old busit had already been changed to bum, if memory serves.

H*n had already been hijacked by that time. Although no doubt they will deny that, just as Rodgers and Hamerstein never wrote the song walk on for their musical.

"It wiz uz thit rote that, so it wiz. dey yanks knocked it oaf maan"

Aye. It was changed to I'd shoot every f****n bum"...on the planet Uranus.

What is this song, "Walk on"?

I always thought it was no nuns priests or holy water not no pope with the pope being in instead of mope but that's not the point it would be banned the first time we sang it.

Having said that it could be then argued that as a song containing the H word has been banned then the word should be banned in total.

Thought it was already illegal anyway.

Did you read that back before clicking "post"?