Barry Ferguson

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if Barry might find his way back to Rangers for a third spell...

How can he have seen his stock diminish so much that he's now out on loan playing for Fleetwood? He's had his indiscretions and we all know about them but at 34 surely he has more to offer.

When we're allowed to sign players again in 10 months' time he'll be 35 and still surely a good move for Rangers and for BF?

Not as a player, maybe a coach if hes matured enough by now, but certainly not as a player, hes hardly the future is he, and i would hate to see a younger lad like Lewis Macleod lose his place to accomadate Barry.

I hear what the OP is saying, you do need some old heads around the place as we try and climb the leagues.

I was at a Berwick v Clyde games years ago (long story) and watched a washed up Charlie Nicholas look like Pele. Barry even at 35 would buy time for fun in the lower divisions.

If it was just playing, we'll need to see at the time if it would benefit us. It's a no no on the coaching front though, it would just be more of the same and that's an area we really need to look at.

you'd better ask his big brother derek first to see if he's allowed back, remember he was the one that kept telling him to leave the "biggest club in the world" and head down south, and what good advise that was ? done fuck all when he left and done fuck all when he came back so I don't think he'll do much if he came back again !

Of the two - for me, Derek was the better footballer when he was younger, he was a class act when he burst onto the scene back in the 80s.

I've no idea where it went wrong though ??

I'm hoping Edmiston Drive can give us the inside info on this one.

Of the two - for me, Derek was the better footballer when he was younger, he was a class act when he burst onto the scene back in the 80s.

I've no idea where it went wrong though ??

I'm hoping Edmiston Drive can give us the inside info on this one.

He didn't like Souness telling him what to do.

Was it down to Derek Ferguson being an arse - or Souness' "man-management" skills ??

I would be guessing at a bit of both. Look at the way McCoist was treated at times by Souness and he managed to stick it out and, like Alan partridge, needless to say he had the last laugh...!

I was told Barry was the more sensible of the two when Barry was looking like a great prospect around 14/15 years old. Derek didnt have much discipline.

You have to remember Souness had just been playing in Serie A and had experienced the discipline, diet and training out there. He was much fitter than the younger guys. I always remember the footage of the squad doing shuttle runs and Souness was leading the way with the rest looking knackered. Remember wee Flecky's red cheeks as he struggled to run...! :lol:

I also think that Barry suffers from the tendency that some fans have of putting down their own. Whether it be jealousy or something else I am not certain but I would certainly say that many of us are guilty of being over-the-top in our criticism of Ferguson.

I don't think anyone would dispute that both Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Ronald de Boer were bona fide world-class footballers and Barry Ferguson partnered them both in the Rangers midfield without looking out of place.

An absolute legend who dedicated his career to Rangers, a shame some do not appreciate, as much as I do, all he gave for the club.

I think his relationship with the fans was tarnished with the PLG and Scotland nonsense. The Scotland episode was not befitting the behaviour required of a Rangers captain unfortunately.

Still the standout Ranger in the last 20 years IMO, a wonderful player.

Was it down to Derek Ferguson being an arse - or Souness' "man-management" skills ??

I knew that Derek was sent out on loan somewhere (just checked - it was Dundee) and then punted to Hearts in 1990. He was still only 22 / 23.

I wish he had stayed and knuckled down as this seemed to be the start of a footballing fall from grace which culminated in spells at Thistle, portadown and Adelaide Force :disappointment:. In between he had short spells at Sunderland, Falkirk and Dunfermline.

Derek unfortunately pished it up againt the wall. Souness apparently moved him.into his gaff to sort him out and get him off the Hugo Boss, but it didn't work. Think it was Dundee away where their fans were chanting about him being an alkie (ED?) That didn't work.

Scottish football is full of could have beens. It's sad as fuck.

Still think all things being fair, Barry would still have been better.

He is though as much as you can call anyone a legend which of course is a term banded about too often these days. Can't think of a better home grown talent in recent times.

Sure, we might not all agree on the way he left and influence towards the end, but on the playing front he was the business