Tactics

KeyserSoze

Anyone else notice at our throw ins in the last quarter Hill was standing at the front post. Drawing defenders to mark him and therefore allowing us to lump the ball into the box without being offside. 

Nice to see if we get anywhere with it but it looks kinda sensible to take advantage of not being offside from a throw in. 

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Anyone else notice at our throw ins in the last quarter Hill was standing at the front post. Drawing defenders to mark him and therefore allowing us to lump the ball into the box without being offside. 

Nice to see if we get anywhere with it but it looks kinda sensible to take advantage of not being offside from a throw in. 

Didnt notice but did hear big Pedro say 40% of goals are from set pieces. So i expect attacking and defending them will play a big part in our preparations now

Guest Lloyd72

I like that we're finally using our fullbacks ability to take long throw ins, I remember an interview Tav did not long after joining where he apologised for throwing one Long into the box and said he'd never do it again because it wasn't how Warburton wanted us to play. That's stupid as fuck imo, Warburton had no real knowledge of how the game should be played, his game management was non existent and that's why he'll forever be a failure

1 hour ago, Lloyd72 said:

I like that we're finally using our fullbacks ability to take long throw ins, I remember an interview Tav did not long after joining where he apologised for throwing one Long into the box and said he'd never do it again because it wasn't how Warburton wanted us to play. That's stupid as fuck imo, Warburton had no real knowledge of how the game should be played, his game management was non existent and that's why he'll forever be a failure

Yup.

Made far more sense to him to have a throw in near their box launched to our full back or centre half then played back to Wes.

Great for the possession stat that was, not so much the goals one though.

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I like the tactics but it's got nothing to do with offside. You can't be offside  if receiiving the ball directly from a throw-in, goal kick or corner no matter your position on the pitch

It seemed more to do with dragging players out of position.  Normally the centre backs are dangerous from set plays so he is likely to drag a few out of position.  Just wish we had the forwards to bury the chances we make.

Had Warburton been in charge yesterday, we may have still won but we'd have conceded and scraped by. 

Next match can't come quick enough now, yesterday was great. But I want to see how we deal with better quality than Hamilton, sheep shaggers away is the real test. 

Wasn't at the game and didn't manage to see it either but when I went out last night was speaking to 2 mates who are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to Rangers and whilst they acknowledge it was only Hamilton at Ibrox and potentially new manager syndrome they enjoyed our possession, pressure, passing based game. 

It's far too early to get carried away but it's a damn good start. It's OK saying it's only Hamilton but all season we've struggled against the Hamilton's of the league and basically all the league, generally.

It's pleasing getting a good solid win like that, with not another game for 2-weeks with it being international break so it's good going into the break with a nice result. 

1 minute ago, PRW. said:

@dougie_analysis: If you want an idea of Rangers' pressing yesterday, it was over 4 minutes before two Hamilton outfield players completed a single pass

Good stat that i know it was against a poor Hamilton team but we certainly stifled their play.

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

I don't know why people are telling you that you can't be offside from a throw-in, as you clearly mention it. But why do you say "therefore allowing us to lump the ball into the box without being offside" if you know we can't be offside from a throw? It's a bit confusing.

I took it as meaning that because Hill can't be offside, they have to mark him. Therefore moving the defender closer to the goal line so that he will play players onside for the 2nd phase of play after the throw in ?

1 minute ago, OhW said:

I don't know why people are telling you that you can't be offside from a throw-in, as you clearly mention it. But why do you say "therefore allowing us to lump the ball into the box without being offside" if you know we can't be offside from a throw? It's a bit confusing.

It's not my fault folks can't read contextual grammar. 

Buffoons. 

Just now, plumbGER said:

You can in Scotland mate.

Garner was also adjudged offside yesterday in his own half.

Different rules for the hoofball in this country.

Aye. What the fuck was that. If a linesman doesn't know you can't be offside in your own half they need fucking fired 

2 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

This all day:tu:

Fuck "taking care of the football" get it into the box to create goalscoring chances from every set peice opportunity you can.

19 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Aye. What the fuck was that. If a linesman doesn't know you can't be offside in your own half they need fucking fired 

The wee linesman will be fastracked to the top with decisions like that.

I mean how can he live with himself doing that to our Joe:lol:

At any throw in within 30/35 yards of our opponents goal we should have a player right in front of their goalie, or on the goal line & as you cant be offside from a throw in it means the opposition need to bring a man back to mark him. I think that this would then create more space as we can push further forward without being offside. 

2 hours ago, Misteral said:

I like the tactics but it's got nothing to do with offside. You can't be offside  if receiiving the ball directly from a throw-in, goal kick or corner no matter your position on the pitch

Cant be offside from the throw obviously but forces everyone deep for the subsequent play.