Your 1st Rangers away game

1 minute ago, Billy1984 said:

DuriesĀ first the day I'm on about he rounded the keeper, I'm sure it was a league game though as they were in second place and remember it being a big game.

I kinda remember that game, fuck me it ain't good trying to jog the memory these days

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, buster. said:

Was my first 'favourite player' although Sandy Jardine came a close second as it was good to see him do well at an International level (especially the WC74).

Watched him regularly for Manchester City under that cunt Billy McNeil and heĀ was superb in a fucking awful team.

St Mirren 2 - 3 Rangers at the now deceased Love Street, August 6th 1991. Stood behind the goal at Love Street end.

Campbell Money testimonial. Spencer, Durrant and Johnston scored for us and IIRC it was Mark Walters' last game before he went to Liverpool.

8012226159_d0af18fbdf_b.jpg

Good question and I can't honestly remember. My old man didn't really travel to away games, preferring to go to see the reserves or the juniors, so it would have been a few years after my first game at Ibrox in 64. Ā Would probably have been local, Clyde, Thistle or possibly Motherwell.

As a kid, do remember some really scary moments going to away games in the late 60s. Ā Getting into the groundsĀ was a nightmare if you weren't there early. Ā There was no crowd control so it was a complete rabble, everyone for themselves tryingĀ to get to the turnstiles. Ā What made it worse was the pubs shut at 2.30, so at quarter to three there would be a surge from behind as the throngs leaving the pubs joined the masses trying to get in. Ā Followed by another surge,Ā as the crowd inside the ground welcomed the teams, and those outside doubledĀ their effortsĀ to get in before the match started. Ā Remember one occasion fighting for space to stop getting crushed against the turnstile wall at Somerset Park. Had similar scary moments gettingĀ intoĀ Broomfield andĀ Fir Park. Ā It was ironic the disaster occurredĀ at Ibrox as it was a damn siteĀ safer to get into and out of than the smaller away grounds.

2-1 Celtic park 1980 , Wee bud Johnstone throws a shy in front of the jungle to the edge of the box and boom goal Alex Miller in the last minute. Ā As a 10 year old I had never seen anything like it and what an experience. Ā 

Did Jim Bett score our equaliser ? Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

2-1 Celtic park 1980 , Wee bud Johnstone throws a shy in front of the jungle to the edge of the box and boom goal Alex Miller in the last minute. Ā As a 10 year old I had never seen anything like it and what an experience. Ā 

What a great 1st away day! Wasn't there but remember that game. Ā Couldnae wait fur Scotsport or Sportscene to show highlights.

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Had forgotten about Jim Bett but what a fine player he could be onĀ his day.

1 minute ago, Copland bear said:

Stayed 5 minutes from the shit hole so that's why I was probably there that dayĀ 

I think that was our 1st win there for a couple of seasons. Ā The old Rangers end with the terracing held 20000+Ā was magic back then. Ā Think it was about 88 or 89 before I got a brief for there for the 1st time. Ā My best time there was 3-1 with Brown smashing in a daisy cutter near FT. Ā Brilliant

10 minutes ago, DexterMorgan said:

I think that was our 1st win there for a couple of seasons. Ā The old Rangers end with the terracing held 20000+Ā was magic back then. Ā Think it was about 88 or 89 before I got a brief for there for the 1st time. Ā My best time there was 3-1 with Brown smashing in a daisy cutter near FT. Ā Brilliant

And our last until we wonĀ 2-1 again with Woods saving a Joe Miller penalty in 1989,