Christian Gentner

Inigo

So Gentner was knocked oot after a challenge by the Wolfsburg goalie, seems to have had convulsions on the pitch and suffered multiple fractures to his lower and lateral eye sockets, nose and upper jaw.

It's always been a mystery to me why goalies get away with leading with the knee the way they do. How is this kind of challenge deemed acceptable considering what else is deemed dangerous these days?

What say the forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CkcLHnGmPA

On 17/09/2017 at 22:29, don logan said:

Ruined his career and the cunt got off scot free.

There wasn't really that much wrong with Oliver Kahn's tackle to be honest.

I always remembered it as he completely done him but I was watching the game the other night on YouTube and I was surprised at how run of the mill it was.

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There wasn't really that much wrong with Oliver Kahn's tackle to be honest.

I always remembered it as he completely done him but I was watching the game the other night on YouTube and I was surprised at how run of the mill it was.

Khan did absolutely nothing wrong.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Khan did absolutely nothing wrong.

Aye I was really surprised watching the game back.

I was only 9 or 10 when that game was played and vaguely remember watching it at the time, but over the years I've just heard people going on about him and how bad a tackle it was and how he ruined Mols' career.

So apparently he swallowed his tongue as well, so it was a genuinely life threatening situation. The club Doctor's prompt treatment was vital.

And still I can't see any discussion in the media about whether that kind of challenge needs dealt with.

Weird blind spot, this kind of challenge.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Aye I was really surprised watching the game back.

I was only 9 or 10 when that game was played and vaguely remember watching it at the time, but over the years I've just heard people going on about him and how bad a tackle it was and how he ruined Mols' career.

It's become some kind of weird myth. Some people will still insist he did something wrong even right after watching it. Bizarre.

Khan did nothing wrong with the challenge on Mols, the bit that annoys me is that he is miles out from goal and had no need to be out there. Probably symptomatic of the doing we were giving them that night, don't think they were thinking that clearly that evening. 

I remember Hitzfeld hiding his face with 10 minutes to go, greatest performance I think I have ever seen from a Rangers team that ended in defeat.

4 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Khan did nothing wrong with the challenge on Mols, the bit that annoys me is that he is miles out from goal and had no need to be out there. Probably symptomatic of the doing we were giving them that night, don't think they were thinking that clearly that evening. 

I remember Hitzfeld hiding his face with 10 minutes to go, greatest performance I think I have ever seen from a Rangers team that ended in defeat.

I've always thought that it was Kahn's ego that took him out to the touchline, he was was one of those German players with a supreme self-confidence bordering on arrogance. As if he felt he was so good he could time that run and make a tackle as good as an outfield player in the same situation.

Mols was too much of a gentleman, he landed awakwardly and it looked as if that happened because he was trying to avoid landing on Kahn and maybe injuring him.

I could still weep at the thought of what that incident cost us, probably one of our greatest ever European results, and more importantly a wonderfully talented player was out for a long, long time then he was never the same player again..

9 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

I don't get why him doing something that he's entitled to do would annoy you? Don't see the difference whether it was just outside the box or on the touchline, was just one of those things either way.  We'd have been happy for him to be there if he'd misjudged things and a goal had come from it.

Was indeed a great performance though. The most unlucky performance I've seen us give, I think. Hit the woodwork 3 times and had numerous other chances. Should have beaten Bayern twice that season (remember their hugely deflected freekick equaliser) and qualified but for terrible luck.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

I don't get why him doing something that he's entitled to do would annoy you? Don't see the difference whether it was just outside the box or on the touchline, was just one of those things either way.  We'd have been happy for him to be there if he'd misjudged things and a goal had come from it.

Was indeed a great performance though. The most unlucky performance I've seen us give, I think. Hit the woodwork 3 times and had numerous other chances. Should have beaten Bayern twice that season (remember their hugely deflected freekick equaliser) and qualified but for terrible luck.

It annoys me because I think it is one of those chance things, Kahn chose to be out in a part of the pitch I have only seen goalies been in once or  twice before. Very  unusual.