Ryan Jack

j1mgg

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

And Tav can get back in position? His positional sense is awful - it’s almost like because he’s got a few assists this season, people have forget how awful a defender he is 

re Hutton you can’t be a dreadful defender if you can utilise pace and make last ditch tackles - that’s what a good full back should be about pace and good tackles. 

Hutton wasn’t an amazing defender hence why I said “even Hutton” because defensive he’s still better than any full backs in that regard we’ve had for past good few years 

You might be right! But I'd rather having an attacking Full back like Tavernier who will create chances when we have 60-70% of possession than someone like Hodson who thinks he needs his passport to cross the half way line

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

You might be right! But I'd rather having an attacking Full back like Tavernier who will create chances when we have 60-70% of possession than someone like Hodson who thinks he needs his passport to cross the half way line

Each to their own but I don’t went an extreme like Hodson either - Hodson can’t defend, run, attack he’s literally no redeeming features 

whats wrong with just a solid full back? Why we have to settle for one who’s good in one aspect but shit in a few others 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Each to their own but I don’t went an extreme like Hodson either - Hodson can’t defend, run, attack he’s literally no redeeming features 

whats wrong with just a solid full back? Why we have to settle for one who’s good in one aspect but shit in a few others 

I want full backs who can defend, carry the ball to about the halfway line and pass it on. Goals conceded zero would be nice.

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Because genuinely we can't afford a full back like that these days.  And as a better team in the league should be concentrating on the attacking side

8 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I want full backs who can defend, carry the ball to about the halfway line and pass it on. Goals conceded zero would be nice.

And no doubt if we got full backs who did that people would be on here complaining about how our full backs offer nothing in an attacking sense because they never venture over the half way line.

Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Because genuinely we can't afford a full back like that these days.  And as a better team in the league should be concentrating on the attacking side

I don’t disagree but we shouldn’t be deluding ourselves and pretending Tav is something he isn’t or any of our full backs 

Guys like Tav and our left backs really get shown up against the tarriers positionally with the space their attackers get - helped in no small part by a weak midfield in all fairness - that last old firm game Jack and Dorrans were fucking pathetic for so called Rangers men and Pena was plonked in a hole isolated from everyone 

4 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

This in a nutshell. The type of player @K.A.I has mentioned is way out of our price range. Numan was £5M and that was when the market was a lot cheaper than it is now. Fuck even Hutton at his peak was sold by us for £9M.

Tavernier was bought for £315K. Despite his defensive deficiencies there can be no denying that he was an absolute bargain and to compare him to Numan and Alan Hutton (purely in the six months prior to leaving us) is unfair.

I don’t disagree but we shouldn’t be deluding ourselves and pretending Tav is something he isn’t or any of our full backs 

Guys like Tav and our left backs really get shown up against the tarriers positionally with the space their attackers get - helped in no small part by a weak midfield in all fairness - that last old firm game Jack and Dorrans were fucking pathetic for so called Rangers men and Pena was plonked in a hole isolated from everyone 

You hit the nail on the head with our midfield. The problem is cover.

That's one of the main priorities as a defensive midfielder is to cover the full backs who are bombing forward. You fill in when they are up the park which out midfield has sadly neglected.

Could we get better than Tavernier? Yeah I think so.

Is he our worst player and a position that is priority? No I don't think so if the players work properly on the shape of the team and he certainly does contribute a lot more than certain other players on the team.

Just now, DBBTB said:

And no doubt if we got full backs who did that people would be on here complaining about how our full backs offer nothing in an attacking sense because they never venture over the half way line.

Best right back I have seen was Sandy Jardine, He could spring attacks, carry the ball, pass it on and defend. I do not recall  Sandy getting the ball and acting like road runner to try and hit their bye line. Tavernier  should be shown footage of Sandy and how he played the position as Tavernier  is clueless about how to play the position. If Jack is better in the position than Tavernier  then he should be played there as our defence has leaked to many soft goals and usually when Tavernier  is absent.

Just now, Jamie0202 said:

This in a nutshell. The type of player @K.A.I has mentioned is way out of our price range. Numan was £5M and that was when the market was a lot cheaper than it is now. Fuck even Hutton at his peak was sold by us for £9M.

Tavernier was bought for £315K. Despite his defensive deficiencies there can be no denying that he was an absolute bargain and to compare him to Numan and Alan Hutton (purely in the six months prior to leaving us) is unfair.

Not with good scouting or an eye for a player with potential they won’t be - those players with those price tags are established elsewhere and even if we have the funds for them, face competition for them 

again just because we can’t afford better, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong about what I think or anything I’ve said is invalid - if you are asking me to pick my XI every week then Tav is in it because of those reasons - it doesn’t mean I think he’s great 

1 minute ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

That's one of the main priorities as a defensive midfielder is to cover the full backs who are bombing forward. You fill in when they are up the park which out midfield has sadly neglected.

Is he our worst player and a position that is priority? No I don't think so if the players work properly on the shape of the team and he certainly does contribute a lot more than certain other players on the team.

For £315K? I don't think so.

How much then would we need to pay for a better right back than Tav? That's the real problem. Cashalito.

2 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Good post (even tho I disagree with the priority point as I think our full backs should be a priority)

I think Tavenier is a massive asset to us and IMO the best way to accommodate him and cover for his weaknesses is to get somebody on the other side who can tuck in and almost turn us into a back three when we have the ball in a similar way to what Papac did when Hutton went forward.

An attacking full back with somebody playing from the position in front of them rather than somebody who hugs the touch line and a defensive minded full back with a winger to provide width in front of him would be my ideal set up.

Not with good scouting or an eye for a player with potential they won’t be - those players with those price tags are established elsewhere and even if we have the funds for them, face competition for them 

again just because we can’t afford better, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong about what I think or anything I’ve said is invalid - if you are asking me to pick my XI every week then Tav is in it because of those reasons - it doesn’t mean I think he’s great 

Yes I agree he's not great but he's adequate for our needs right now and is easily good enough to be part of a first 11 which could win the league. Truly how good were our fullbacks when we last won the league? Was Whittaker any worse at defending or Sasa any better going forward?

Just now, DBBTB said:

I think Tavenier is a massive asset to us and IMO the best way to accommodate him and cover for his weaknesses is to get somebody on the other side who can tuck in and almost turn us into a back three when we have the ball in a similar way to what Papac did when Hutton went forward.

Push Tavernier  in to midfield and put Jack in at right full back (if he is any good at the position). Tavernier  game is going forward and trying to cause problems in the oppositions 18 yard box, not defending, so let him do that. Our priorities should be left full back + left wing + right full back but if Jack is good in this position then he may  be the answer to a long standing problem. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Yes I agree he's not great but he's adequate for our needs right now and is easily good enough to be part of a first 11 which could win the league. Truly how good were our fullbacks when we last won the league? Was Whittaker any worse at defending or Sasa any better going forward?

I thought Sasa was as bad positionally as Tav if I’m honest 

Whittaker was similar to Tav in that attacking was his strong point but I still think he was superior in both attacking and defending 

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I thought Sasa was as bad positionally as Tav if I’m honest 

Whittaker was similar to Tav in that attacking was his strong point but I still think he was superior in both attacking and defending 

Odd that most recall Sasa as being a reliable not exciting player, am not disagreeing but I think that is how most would view him if asked I.E dependable and straightforward. Tav will do for where we are at however if we work our way back into EL or Cl in years to come then improvement will be needed not just at fullback positions but across the entire squad. I would love to be in CL games and so on but I really don't want us to be whipping dogs. I know that is nearly impossible with the income stream we and Scottish football has but a well thought out strategy and implementation of said strategy both in player purchases and in thinking ahead, bed a few younger players in and let them adjust and develop, save some much needed cash, use the cash we have for the oft spoke of spine and build around that, sorry going off topic, I get carried away!

4 minutes ago, badjon said:

Odd that most recall Sasa as being a reliable not exciting player, am not disagreeing but I think that is how most would view him if asked I.E dependable and straightforward. Tav will do for where we are at however if we work our way back into EL or Cl in years to come then improvement will be needed not just at fullback positions but across the entire squad. I would love to be in CL games and so on but I really don't want us to be whipping dogs. I know that is nearly impossible with the income stream we and Scottish football has but a well thought out strategy and implementation of said strategy both in player purchases and in thinking ahead, bed a few younger players in and let them adjust and develop, save some much needed cash, use the cash we have for the oft spoke of spine and build around that, sorry going off topic, I get carried away!

I wouldn’t worry about it it’s well off topic anyway we’ve went from Ryan Jack to debating the full backs and Tav in particular 

12 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I wouldn’t worry about it it’s well off topic anyway we’ve went from Ryan Jack to debating the full backs and Tav in particular 

Well then what about my long term plan? And my view on Sasa. Got to try and keep it going am not back and in bed till 02:30.

8 minutes ago, badjon said:

Well then what about my long term plan? And my view on Sasa. Got to try and keep it going am not back and in bed till 02:30.

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week ... done us a turn, was OK but nothing special and if you’re long term plan is league titles and CL then yes I agree we need upgrades all over the pitch - literally 8 or 9 players replaced and upgraded upon 

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week

Which IMO endeared him to the vast majority of our support-or at least me. Regards  fullback I really don't see what is going to happen as we have a loan player doing great stuff in some peoples opinion and in others not impressing enough would you give DJ a contract come December( he is supposedly on a free come May/June so pre contract or whatever it is ).

57 minutes ago, badjon said:

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week

Which IMO endeared him to the vast majority of our support-or at least me. Regards  fullback I really don't see what is going to happen as we have a loan player doing great stuff in some peoples opinion and in others not impressing enough would you give DJ a contract come December( he is supposedly on a free come May/June so pre contract or whatever it is ).

Unsure if John is the answer - he looks ok attacking against some of the weaker sides but we need a big upgrade 

38 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Unsure if John is the answer - he looks ok attacking against some of the weaker sides but we need a big upgrade 

In your opinion would you rather Wallace? Take away John as an option in front of him who would you prefer as our LB in an OF game?

Archived