j1mgg

Ryan Jack

I think Tavenier is a massive asset to us and IMO the best way to accommodate him and cover for his weaknesses is to get somebody on the other side who can tuck in and almost turn us into a back three when we have the ball in a similar way to what Papac did when Hutton went forward.

An attacking full back with somebody playing from the position in front of them rather than somebody who hugs the touch line and a defensive minded full back with a winger to provide width in front of him would be my ideal set up.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Not with good scouting or an eye for a player with potential they won’t be - those players with those price tags are established elsewhere and even if we have the funds for them, face competition for them 

again just because we can’t afford better, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong about what I think or anything I’ve said is invalid - if you are asking me to pick my XI every week then Tav is in it because of those reasons - it doesn’t mean I think he’s great 

Yes I agree he's not great but he's adequate for our needs right now and is easily good enough to be part of a first 11 which could win the league. Truly how good were our fullbacks when we last won the league? Was Whittaker any worse at defending or Sasa any better going forward?

Just now, DBBTB said:

I think Tavenier is a massive asset to us and IMO the best way to accommodate him and cover for his weaknesses is to get somebody on the other side who can tuck in and almost turn us into a back three when we have the ball in a similar way to what Papac did when Hutton went forward.

Push Tavernier  in to midfield and put Jack in at right full back (if he is any good at the position). Tavernier  game is going forward and trying to cause problems in the oppositions 18 yard box, not defending, so let him do that. Our priorities should be left full back + left wing + right full back but if Jack is good in this position then he may  be the answer to a long standing problem. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Yes I agree he's not great but he's adequate for our needs right now and is easily good enough to be part of a first 11 which could win the league. Truly how good were our fullbacks when we last won the league? Was Whittaker any worse at defending or Sasa any better going forward?

I thought Sasa was as bad positionally as Tav if I’m honest 

Whittaker was similar to Tav in that attacking was his strong point but I still think he was superior in both attacking and defending 

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I thought Sasa was as bad positionally as Tav if I’m honest 

Whittaker was similar to Tav in that attacking was his strong point but I still think he was superior in both attacking and defending 

Odd that most recall Sasa as being a reliable not exciting player, am not disagreeing but I think that is how most would view him if asked I.E dependable and straightforward. Tav will do for where we are at however if we work our way back into EL or Cl in years to come then improvement will be needed not just at fullback positions but across the entire squad. I would love to be in CL games and so on but I really don't want us to be whipping dogs. I know that is nearly impossible with the income stream we and Scottish football has but a well thought out strategy and implementation of said strategy both in player purchases and in thinking ahead, bed a few younger players in and let them adjust and develop, save some much needed cash, use the cash we have for the oft spoke of spine and build around that, sorry going off topic, I get carried away!

4 minutes ago, badjon said:

Odd that most recall Sasa as being a reliable not exciting player, am not disagreeing but I think that is how most would view him if asked I.E dependable and straightforward. Tav will do for where we are at however if we work our way back into EL or Cl in years to come then improvement will be needed not just at fullback positions but across the entire squad. I would love to be in CL games and so on but I really don't want us to be whipping dogs. I know that is nearly impossible with the income stream we and Scottish football has but a well thought out strategy and implementation of said strategy both in player purchases and in thinking ahead, bed a few younger players in and let them adjust and develop, save some much needed cash, use the cash we have for the oft spoke of spine and build around that, sorry going off topic, I get carried away!

I wouldn’t worry about it it’s well off topic anyway we’ve went from Ryan Jack to debating the full backs and Tav in particular 

12 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I wouldn’t worry about it it’s well off topic anyway we’ve went from Ryan Jack to debating the full backs and Tav in particular 

Well then what about my long term plan? And my view on Sasa. Got to try and keep it going am not back and in bed till 02:30.

8 minutes ago, badjon said:

Well then what about my long term plan? And my view on Sasa. Got to try and keep it going am not back and in bed till 02:30.

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week ... done us a turn, was OK but nothing special and if you’re long term plan is league titles and CL then yes I agree we need upgrades all over the pitch - literally 8 or 9 players replaced and upgraded upon 

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week

Which IMO endeared him to the vast majority of our support-or at least me. Regards  fullback I really don't see what is going to happen as we have a loan player doing great stuff in some peoples opinion and in others not impressing enough would you give DJ a contract come December( he is supposedly on a free come May/June so pre contract or whatever it is ).

57 minutes ago, badjon said:

Imo Sasa was a steady 6/10 every week

Which IMO endeared him to the vast majority of our support-or at least me. Regards  fullback I really don't see what is going to happen as we have a loan player doing great stuff in some peoples opinion and in others not impressing enough would you give DJ a contract come December( he is supposedly on a free come May/June so pre contract or whatever it is ).

Unsure if John is the answer - he looks ok attacking against some of the weaker sides but we need a big upgrade 

38 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Unsure if John is the answer - he looks ok attacking against some of the weaker sides but we need a big upgrade 

In your opinion would you rather Wallace? Take away John as an option in front of him who would you prefer as our LB in an OF game?

3 minutes ago, Band of Brothers said:

In your opinion would you rather Wallace? Take away John as an option in front of him who would you prefer as our LB in an OF game?

Wallace which isn’t saying much 

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Wallace which isn’t saying much 

Agree we need a serious upgrade not just on the left but right also.

I don’t have a bad word to say about John but we need top quality. It’s the same for any position really. We can’t settle for just an improvement on the incumbent player!

8 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Windass > Candeias..

Ffs :lol:

Some.of.tavs worst games for us have been the times he's played midfield.

Why are people wanting to move a cm to rb and our rb to rm?

All because malky mourinho decided to move Jack there? If Pedro or Warburton had done that people would've done their dinger

9 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Some.of.tavs worst games for us have been the times he's played midfield.

Why are people wanting to move a cm to rb and our rb to rm?

All because malky mourinho decided to move Jack there? If Pedro or Warburton had done that people would've done their dinger

Because our right back can’t defend, but has attacking qualities 

our Center midfielder is shite/ineffective (people can decide what word to use) at midfield but can defend it appears going on last nights apparent showing 

If Pedro or Warburton made a switch like that and it worked people would be happy to see it in the next game 

5 minutes ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

People forget we signed Papac as a centre half and converted him to left back because he couldn't head the ball.

Same with Broadfoot he was originally a Center half ... I never liked the 2 of them but they did us a turn moved into full backs out the road of the buses so to speak 

7 minutes ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

People forget we signed Papac as a centre half and converted him to left back because he couldn't head the ball.

Played CH for his country successfully for 10 years , and is a far better player/defender than anything we have had for the last 6 years.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Played CH for his country successfully for 10 years , and is a far better player/defender than anything we have had for the last 6 years.

He might have played Center half for Bosnia but depends on how you define successful - how many tournaments did they qualify for? How many games they win? How many goals they concede? Papac was terrible at ch for us 

Just now, K.A.I said:

He might have played Center half for Bosnia but depends on how you define successful - how many tournaments did they qualify for? How many games they win? How many goals they concede? Papac was terrible at ch for us 

The dross that parade in our strip for the last six years are nowhere near the quality of Sasa and that includes the guy that replaced him , Wallace.

Remember arguing on here with the usual experts about Wallace being nowhere near as good as him.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

The dross that parade in our strip for the last six years are nowhere near the quality of Sasa and that includes the guy that replaced him , Wallace.

Remember arguing on here with the usual experts about Wallace being nowhere near as good as him.

Your conflating different things here - I’m not talking about the last 6 years we are talking about when Papac was here and his stints at CH before going to left back and becoming useful