Have we brought anyone in?

j1mgg

16 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

What if Defoe and Morelos stay injury and suspension free for the rest of the season though? We’re not going to get anyone remotely decent when there’s a fair chance they won’t even get on the pitch.

Not a gamble worth paying imo . 

We're playing 2 games a week now , if Alfie or Defoe pick up an injury that has them out for even 3/4 weeks that's a lot of games to miss . 

In a perfect world I'd go for a promising young player that , hopefully we don't even have to call upon this season  , but can watch and learn and fit into the team when either Defoe retires or Morelos moves .- had Shankland been at Ayr , he'd have been ideal . Unfortunately I don't see us achieving that scenario at this late hour , but we should definitely bring someone in as cover for our front two . 

23 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

What if Defoe and Morelos stay injury and suspension free for the rest of the season though? We’re not going to get anyone remotely decent when there’s a fair chance they won’t even get on the pitch.

Think Greg Stewart is 3rd nominated cf cover. 

6 minutes ago, gmcf said:

We're playing 2 games a week now , if Alfie or Defoe pick up an injury that has them out for even 3/4 weeks that's a lot of games to miss . 

In a perfect world I'd go for a promising young player that , hopefully we don't even have to call upon this season  , but can watch and learn and fit into the team when either Defoe retires or Morelos moves .- had Shankland been at Ayr , he'd have been ideal . Unfortunately I don't see us achieving that scenario at this late hour , but we should definitely bring someone in as cover for our front two . 

It seems we tried that with the young guy from England Tyrese Campbell.  Didn’t work out but the club is trying.

8 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I agree that a Shankland at Ayr type would be ideal, but I can’t think of anyone else who fits the bill. I just mean that anyone who would be willing to come in as third choice is not likely to be any better than Stewart or one of our own youngsters.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

It seems we tried that with the young guy from England Tyrese Campbell.  Didn’t work out but the club is trying.

Think he's re-signed for Stoke which was unfortunate , but it's the right idea of going about the future . 

3 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

I agree that a Shankland at Ayr type would be ideal, but I can’t think of anyone else who fits the bill. I just mean that anyone who would be willing to come in as third choice is not likely to be any better than Stewart or one of our own youngsters.

Don't know much about him , but boy at work was talking about a boy from Dunfermline , Nesbit , I think , who's seems pretty prolific right now . Personally I'd aim for someone higher , but for a couple of  hundred grand could be worth a punt . 

21 hours ago, Blue Viking said:

I bloody hope we get another striker in- there is no other potential goal scorer sitting on our bench if Morelos gets injured / red carded / misses more games - and Defoe is not on his game or just more knackered - we should be able to bring on another striker who can do the job and help us win this league

What if we bring in a third striker and he also gets injured or suspended or goes off his game should we have a fourth striker ready to come in just incase all the what if scenarios happen? 

should have kept Sadiq imo

😆

19 hours ago, Ger_onimo said:

We have missed the boat on Shankland, for the price we would pay now he is not worth the gamble. We should have got him for free last summer and put him on loan in the SPFL.

Just because DUFC got him free, does not mean they will sell him cheap, anymore than we would let Morelos go cheap because we got him for £1 mil (the players are a different order of magnitude but the principle is the same).

I reckon they would want £2-3mil for Shanks

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

We have missed the boat on Shankland, for the price we would pay now he is not worth the gamble. We should have got him for free last summer and put him on loan in the SPFL.

Just because DUFC got him free, does not mean they will sell him cheap, anymore than we would let Morelos go cheap because we got him for £1 mil (the players are a different order of magnitude but the principle is the same).

I reckon they would want £2-3mil for Shanks

That’s why I said at Ayr, we’ve definitely missed the boat on him. Not worth the punt at £3m or whatever they want for him.

i'd say the team we have is more than enough to win the league but getting rid of players, loaning some out and extending contracts is probably the best thing. if we did sign anyone it'd need to be a back up striker. the strength is there to win but we just need to make the team more efficient and optimised.

1 hour ago, BillyG91 said:

i'd say the team we have is more than enough to win the league but getting rid of players, loaning some out and extending contracts is probably the best thing. if we did sign anyone it'd need to be a back up striker. the strength is there to win but we just need to make the team more efficient and optimised.

Adding into that Europe and cup, then it might not be enough.

Archived