Defenders badly needed

BLUEDIGNITY

1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Think you've missed what's really happening....

We've only scored 15 goals in 12 domestic games since the winter break.  

To me our style of play (keep possession,  stretch teams get it wide and get crosses in) has been sussed.  Teams don't come out and pack their box making space fuckin impossible.  We get lucky the odd time but we have no alternative way of playing.  Our defence get caught napping because we're light at the back because of our style, and any mistake can be sooo dangerous.  I don't think we're bad defenders (see Europe), but we definitely need to find another way of playing.  We're so predictable now on the domestic scene.

giphy-4.gif.3b1e86c304593f790aed5cdecb4257df.gif

Coopsleftboot has it spot on, we are too predictable same setup same style of attack. SPFL teams know they only have to defend with nine men in the 18 yard box and we have no idea how to break it down.

15 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

I’d get rid of Tav, Goldson, Kamara, Morelos in the summer. Barisic I’d rather keep but if we get 12+ for him there’s no option. 

Bring in 15 total for Kamara, Tav + Goldson. Morelos 15, Barisic 12.

Get a complete rebuild of the core team, it’s needed. 

Foderingham, Halliday, Flanagan, Jones, Murphy, Barker, Stewart, Polster, Tav, Goldson, Kamara, Davis and Morelos. I'd rather keep Barisic as well but chances are he's offski, get hopefully 10+million for him, hopefully £10 million for the above mentioned diddies and use it all to stop the 10. 

I think Katic, Helander could be a potential partnership...we have to play to our business model and think who do we give the chances to regarding their value likely increasing.

Last season, and in Old Firm games,Katic was getting rave reviews and is on the fringes of the Croatia team (i think). Then Gerrard throws him under the bus after one, two mistakes and he's out the picture...suddenly his potential value plummets. 

Goldson, who has less sell on value...wont play for england and is older than Katic...makes mistakes but gets away with it becsuse he's Gerrard's chosen man. 

Helander and Katic have potential to play in euros/ world cups so their value could go 10/15m....Goldson isnt going to command a figure in that region imo.

If your the director of football surely your're looking at every players longevity, value and what Gerrard says and does needs to be aligned to that of Wilson - he must pull his hair out with Gerrard's selections and comments. Even if Gerrard thinks Katic is rank rotten,he needs to play him now to put him in the shop window and increase his value. 

14 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Going to be hard to get the perfect balance of no nonsense and a ball player, let’s face it if we signed big hardy tacklers but they couldn’t cut it in Europe and we got slaughtered then the same folks that are wanting Gerrard gone would still be saying the same next year.

I’d agree if they weren’t cutting it domestically, but if they were mopping up everything in the SPL & seriously looking like stopping the tarriers getting ten, you wouldn’t get much of a complaint.

15 hours ago, HG5 said:

I’d agree if they weren’t cutting it domestically, but if they were mopping up everything in the SPL & seriously looking like stopping the tarriers getting ten, you wouldn’t get much of a complaint.

I think we would if we were getting pasted in the Europa qualifiers.

31 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

I think we would if we were getting pasted in the Europa qualifiers.

Getting pasted, perhaps.

But once you’re out, you’re out.

Then, when the benefits of free mid-weeks, the opportunity to really work with the players, proper recovery between matches, etc. kicks in, it’s to be hoped we’d have a more stable league campaign.

Archived