The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Think one of the big problems has been that because journalists are still working, they are doing anything to get clicks. Sports guys are going to keep writing about sport and its the low-hanging fruit. 

As more places take up the government's 80% wage grant youll maybe see it go down a bit because workers need to be furloughed to claim it. 

Funnily enough the sports guys were writing about tax 8 to 10 years ago  so spare me that shit. 

We are all worried for our health and our livelihoods and football should be the last thing we need to concern ourselves with.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dummiesoot said:

Funnily enough the sports guys were writing about tax 8 to 10 years ago  so spare me that shit. 

We are all worried for our health and our livelihoods and football should be the last thing we need to concern ourselves with.

There wasn't any sort of link to football there right enough.

Football totally should be the last thing we need to concern ourselves with but I'm still having to work so need to write about football, I can't just say to my boss that I don't really fancy it today. I'm sure that'll be the same for most folk (or at least those that have to work from home). Believe me though - and I don't say this in some way to defend how shameless some of the coverage has been - I'm sure there's plenty things most of them would much rather be doing just now than writing about how the season should end.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Think one of the big problems has been that because journalists are still working, they are doing anything to get clicks. Sports guys are going to keep writing about sport and its the low-hanging fruit. 

As more places take up the government's 80% wage grant youll maybe see it go down a bit because workers need to be furloughed to claim it. 

Aye cunts like u

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Football totally should be the last thing we need to concern ourselves with but I'm still having to work so need to write about football, I can't just say to my boss that I don't really fancy it today. I'm sure that'll be the same for most folk (or at least those that have to work from home). Believe me though - and I don't say this in some way to defend how shameless some of the coverage has been - I'm sure there's plenty things most of them would much rather be doing just now than writing about how the season should end.

How much freedom do you have? 

Freedom of the press is a right. 

You should write about liewell being at celtic when BAD things were happening. 

If your boss says no, you should write about that elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Can you not write about things that people are wanting answers to like......

How the refereeing system can be improved before the football starts back.

How the different clubs will be using the lock down to make improvements for their club

How the small clubs are coping and what sort of help they need.

How grass roots football is being affected.

What technology can scouts use to find new players in lockdown.

How will the potential lawsuit against cfc affect their club.

Just now, Redwhiteandblue said:

How much freedom do you have? 

Freedom of the press is a right. 

You should write about liewell being at celtic when BAD things were happening. 

If your boss says no, you should write about that elsewhere.  

I have a certain amount of freedom but it's always got to be related to Rangers somehow. Whether that's an ex-player or manager, women's football, academy teams or even the fans, it'll normally be cool.

I couldn't touch the Lawwell stuff and get to publish it on my work's site. Without any evidence of anything or someone actually claiming it directly as a witness, I'd just be opening myself up to defamation action. Freedom of the press is a right but I can't just make allegations or even the sort of suggestion given the reach we have. Christ, I once had GCC complain that I hadn't given them the right of reply on something utterly trivial.

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Can you not write about things that people are wanting answers to like......

How the refereeing system can be improved before the football starts back.

How the different clubs will be using the lock down to make improvements for their club

How the small clubs are coping and what sort of help they need.

How grass roots football is being affected.

What technology can scouts use to find new players in lockdown.

How will the potential lawsuit against cfc affect their club.

Some of those are being done and particularly some of the ones around the smaller clubs are being covered by sites like nottheoldfirm.com and youthfootballscotland.co.uk. When it comes to the papers websites it's about what gets most clicks. Ad revenues have fallen through the floor in the last week so while advertisers would pay, say (not the actual figures, I don't know what our ad figures are) £1 for 1000 clicks, now its 70p for 2000 and by this time next week it'll be 35p for 5000 clicks. Traffic has also fallen pretty spectacularly over the last few days for lots of sites across the board.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I have a certain amount of freedom but it's always got to be related to Rangers somehow. Whether that's an ex-player or manager, women's football, academy teams or even the fans, it'll normally be cool.

I couldn't touch the Lawwell stuff and get to publish it on my work's site. Without any evidence of anything or someone actually claiming it directly as a witness, I'd just be opening myself up to defamation action. Freedom of the press is a right but I can't just make allegations or even the sort of suggestion given the reach we have. Christ, I once had GCC complain that I hadn't given them the right of reply on something utterly trivial.

The DR always writes about what Rangers fans are saying about "x" on fans sites and often mention FF. 

Contact celtic park and ask them if they have anything to say about what fans are saying about liewell.  If they make no comment, then surely you can write about it? It's in the public interest.  Especially after what has just gone on with Alex Salmond. 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They were all pretending to be tax experts, they dont want to know about paedo cover ups, I wonder why? 

Our tax situation was highly complex proven by us winning the lower tier tribunals assessed by tax experts, the uppers were decided by non tax experts, it was beyond the Ken of these journals yet they all had an opinion,  all pretty much against Rangers.

Can you for once not stand up for your profession that gets less professional by the day. 

58 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

The lockdown is now official. The SFA/SPFL should now void all competitions so that clubs can activate their insurance policies. Competition money should be pooled so that ALL 42 clubs can apply for funding should their insurance not cover them.

Has anyone confirmed if insurance will pay out in this situation?  I am unsure as it’s government ordered shutdown if the likes of business interruption actually pays out. 

4 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

They were all pretending to be tax experts, they dont want to know about paedo cover ups, I wonder why? 

Our tax situation was highly complex proven by us winning the lower tier tribunals assessed by tax experts, the uppers were decided by non tax experts, it was beyond the Ken of these journals yet they all had an opinion,  all pretty much against Rangers.

Can you for once not stand up for your profession that gets less professional by the day. 

There are far stricter regulations around publishing stories related to sexual abuse of children so would probably be a good place to start.

You're right, it was a ridiculously complex situation and look how much of a cunt of it the journos made of it by trying to punch well above their weight. 

3 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Has anyone confirmed if insurance will pay out in this situation?  I am unsure as it’s government ordered shutdown if the likes of business interruption actually pays out. 

Will depend on each club's policy.

4 minutes ago, gj923 said:

You would think insurance would be protected by "an act of God" ???

9 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

No mate, the virus. You on lockdown?  Here in Canada we just declared a state of emergency.  Think non essential businesses will be closed by Wednesday. 

Basically been in lockdown for the past 10 days. 115 cases but because of us being such a small country we track everyone down that the infected have been in contact with. We have quarantined about 1000 people and many more have self quarantine. No serious cases so far. People are very respectful of the messages coming from the government and nobody is buying anymore bread or toiletpaper than they need. 

Just now, johanhentze said:

Basically been in lockdown for the past 10 days. 115 cases but because of us being such a small country we track everyone down that the infected have been in contact with. We have quarantined about 1000 people and many more have self quarantine. No serious cases so far. People are very respectful of the messages coming from the government and nobody is buying anymore bread or toiletpaper than they need. 

Good stuff. Be safe mate. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There are far stricter regulations around publishing stories related to sexual abuse of children so would probably be a good place to start.

You're right, it was a ridiculously complex situation and look how much of a cunt of it the journos made of it by trying to punch well above their weight. 

You just need to be vague about it to avoid libellous comments.  Like writing "lots of people have been commenting about who was at celtic when things were happening and are still at the club" etc...

Do it, don't bottle it.  We need someone to get out our thoughts like they did against us.  

There should at the very least be a public inquiry into what happened because if people who were there when it was proven things happened and are still there, things may still be going on. 

2 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Are you in Denmark or still in the Faroes mate?

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Some of those are being done and particularly some of the ones around the smaller clubs are being covered by sites like nottheoldfirm.com and youthfootballscotland.co.uk. When it comes to the papers websites it's about what gets most clicks. Ad revenues have fallen through the floor in the last week so while advertisers would pay, say (not the actual figures, I don't know what our ad figures are) £1 for 1000 clicks, now its 70p for 2000 and by this time next week it'll be 35p for 5000 clicks. Traffic has also fallen pretty spectacularly over the last few days for lots of sites across the board.

They'd get more clicks if they balanced the stories through out the 42 clubs There's too many negative click bait faux stories out there about Rangers. The club are giving opportunities for positive stories but I can see them censoring journo's in the future by banning those who continue to give them bad press.

Personally I'd like to read about the random acts of kindness from the football community whilst the country is battling the coronavirus pandemic, stories like that give people hope in dire times.

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

You just need to be vague about it to avoid libellous comments.  Like writing "lots of people have been commenting about who was at celtic when things were happening and are still at the club" etc...

Do it, don't bottle it.  We need someone to get out our thoughts like they did against us.  

There should at the very least be a public inquiry into what happened because if people who were there when it was proven things happened and are still there, things may still be going on. 

We can't, it doesn't fit in on a Rangers news site and would be immediately pulled the minute it got pitched.

I totally agree there should be a public inquiry and I hope it has a very narrow scope to only include direct links to  football and football clubs to avoid it being watered down. I don't want it all bundled into one big general child abuse inquiry because there have been very clear problems in football and at particular clubs like celtic, Hibs and Crewe.

Archived