The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

Just now, kelvd1873 said:

Dude have you or will you please, mention to officials from other clubs that a precedent had been set for abandonment of a season in 1939?  I’d love to hear what they have to say about that!

Its not a precedent and has absolutely no relevance to this. It was a different league body under a different rule book. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thats the timeline being predicted by professors, doctors and scientists.

Strange, I've heard differently. As could be anything from 1yr to 18 months. May depend on the severity of it at any given time. Is this based on the virus in general, or the virus in comparison to sporting events being able to commence? 

Even then I think you'll find, Doctors, Scientists etc don't know enough about this virus to say for sure, so going bk to my original point, it all appears to be a guesstimate. 

Just now, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Strange, I've heard differently. As could be anything from 1yr to 18 months. May depend on the severity of it at any given time. Is this based on the virus in general, or the virus in comparison to sporting events being able to commence? 

Even then I think you'll find, Doctors, Scientists etc don't know enough about this virus to say for sure, so going bk to my original point, it all appears to be a guesstimate. 

I've not heard any expert say a shut down and social isolation could last as long as 18 months in the UK. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I've not heard any expert say a shut down and social isolation could last as long as 18 months in the UK. 

Dr Hilary Jones did hint at it on "This morning" a few days ago, and last time I looked he is a qualified doctor that is probably well informed.  Again that may depend what context you are meaning. 

He didn't say isolate, or shutdown, he simply meant that could be the period of time we all may be  affected with this situation in the long run, whichever circumstances that may incur. 

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes, to a point, based on what I've been told from people at clubs. 

People at clubs who are in uncharted water like the rest of the football world including players and fans.

Could come down to anything they are even looking at their insurance policies so if the league was void they could perhaps claim for lost revenue were as if the league is concluded they may lose revenue and can't claim because the league finished.

TV money as well still has a payment to be made no football no payment.

2 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Dr Hilary Jones did hint at it on "This morning" a few days ago, and last time I looked he is a qualified doctor that is probably well informed.  Again that may depend what context you are meaning. 

He didn't say isolate, or shutdown, he simply meant that could be the period of time we all may be  affected with this situation in the long run, whichever circumstances that may incur. 

Hes probably better informed than most but he's not exactly the most authoratitive. It's certainly not a quick fix anyway

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Its not a precedent and has absolutely no relevance to this. It was a different league body under a different rule book. 

Aye ok pal, 

abandonment likely - check!!

not mathematically won yet - check!!

world crisis - check!!

Scotland's top league at the time - check!!

hmm seems almost identical to me!!

1 minute ago, sRcFoCt said:

People at clubs who are in uncharted water like the rest of the football world including players and fans.

Could come down to anything they are even looking at their insurance policies so if the league was void they could perhaps claim for lost revenue were as if the league is concluded they may lose revenue and can't claim because the league finished.

TV money as well still has a payment to be made no football no payment.

Yep, they are although they are in regular contact with the SFA and SPFL so have a slightly better idea than most what's going on. 

1 minute ago, kelvd1873 said:

Aye ok pal, 

abandonment likely - check!!

not mathematically won yet - check!!

world crisis - check!!

Scotland's top league at the time - check!!

hmm seems almost identical to me!!

Different rule book? Check

Rules in place to deal with existing crisis? Check

Wholly different circumstances? Check

Different organising body? Check

Different number of games to be arranged? Check

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Disregarding means not to include, to disregard. The term was disregarding postponed and abandoned games, 38 shall be played. Words to that effect.

You posted " Disregarding postponed matches. We have ninepostponed matches which we are unable to schedule." That reply of yours was in reply to 

C14: The Clubs for the time being entitled in terms of these Rules to participate in the Premiership shall, disregarding any abandoned or postponed matches, play in 38 League Matches in any one Season

To me it appears you misread that and have been basing part of your argument. Is that why edited your post? 

What other way of reading it can there be? Is it an spfl way of it not being interpreted as it reads?

@The Dude I think this post slipped you by.

You appear to have misinterpreted the whole disregard postponement and abandoned games thing. The one where you promptly edited your post.

Was that your misinterpretation or was that how it was misexplained to you? Was it by someone pro finishing the league and awarding the scum the title?

Can you recall yet the other way it was explained to you?

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

@The Dude I think this post slipped you by.

You appear to have misinterpreted the whole disregard postponement and abandoned games thing. The one where you promptly edited your post.

Was that your misinterpretation or was that how it was misexplained to you? Was it by someone pro finishing the league and awarding the scum the title?

Can you recall yet the other way it was explained to you?

Haven't edited any post so no idea what you mean. 

No, someone who would prefer they didn't win it and the club they work for stand to seriously lose out by the standing being kept. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

every nation had a different rule book but it did not stop the games being cancelled across the world when world war 2 kicked off. thats like how many organisations? that is how many different rule books ?

the SFA can try and stop the season being cancelled but legally can they provide anything from their rule book that states an uncompleted season will be handed to the team currently sitting top.

the games will not be played in the summer. we can barely rearrange a match under normal circumstances. each day my point will be made abundantly clear with the rise in cases.

the only feasible options are hand a team trophy they have not won or cancel the season. sing , dance and murmer all you want but it comes down to this if we truly have to simplify things.

This wont be going away anytime soon.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Wholly different circumstances?? I know it’s not war but it’s still a global crisis which will most likely end the same way with abandonment.

different organising body on paper but still Scotland's top tier governing body! 

All teams have not played 30 games, that’s been repeated on here, is there anything in that in the rules? 

And just to clarify please, what are the exact rules in place for this crisis? 

On 11/03/2020 at 18:42, Valance1690 said:

Think of it this way, we kicked on after the new year & ended up 10 clear of them, about to lift 55 then all this shit happens...would you be happy with them scrapping the league? 

Moot argument though mate, because if we were ten points clear the taigs would be pushing for it to be scrapped so I’m not really having the “shoe on the other foot” point some folks in here keep saying. 
point of the matter is it should be cancelled. Nobody winning anything, nobody relegated, euro places for next season awarded to same teams as this season, as competitions didn’t end. Fairest and easiest way imo. 

3 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Wholly different circumstances?? I know it’s not war but it’s still a global crisis which will most likely end the same way with abandonment.

different organising body on paper but still Scotland's top tier governing body! 

All teams have not played 30 games, that’s been repeated on here, is there anything in that in the rules? 

And just to clarify please, what are the exact rules in place for this crisis? 

I mean more the fact that there's no opportunity to play football now whereas the abandoned 1940 season was replaced by wartime cups at the agreement of clubs. That won't be happening this time as the players union won't even recommend players to play closed doors games. 

It doesn't matter if both are Scotland's top tier league body. Just because one done something in 1940,it doesn't mean they are  bound by it forevermore. That would be ridiculous. Players would still be amateurs and we'd not have substitutes. 

No idea where this thing about teams having to play 30 games has come from. There's absolutely nothing in the SPFL's rules about it. 

Go back through the thread. The relevant one on who is champion is c38

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

@SeparateEntityMyArse

Basically it can also be taken to mean that if no games are permanently cancelled that teams will play 38 games. (which I'm sure youll dispute but it's not my interpretation) I kinda get what is meant by it but don't necessarily agree myself. 

I think we both know thats a nonsense interpretation.   

Strange that you've spoken to folk who seem to be so in the know about what the spfl are planning and why, yet someone from a club with much to lose speaks waffle on the matter. Maybe needs to speak to a lawyer.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean more the fact that there's no opportunity to play football now whereas the abandoned 1940 season was replaced by wartime cups at the agreement of clubs. That won't be happening this time as the players union won't even recommend players to play closed doors games. 

It doesn't matter if both are Scotland's top tier league body. Just because one done something in 1940,it doesn't mean they are  bound by it forevermore. That would be ridiculous. Players would still be amateurs and we'd not have substitutes. 

No idea where this thing about teams having to play 30 games has come from. There's absolutely nothing in the SPFL's rules about it. 

Go back through the thread. The relevant one on who is champion is c38

Cheers👍🏻🇬🇧

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think we both know thats a nonsense interpretation.   

Strange that you've spoken to folk who seem to be so in the know about what the spfl are planning and why, yet someone from a club with much to lose speaks waffle on the matter. Maybe needs to speak to a lawyer.

Well, that seems to be the path theyre heading down so if its waffle we may well see it torn to pieces. 

Archived