The old players

MacBoyd

9 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

I had completely forgotten about Arfield which kind of says it all.

Davis, Arfield, Stewart, Barker, Defoe, Middleton next out the door please.

Save a serious wedge clearing that lot out on top of Ojo, Holt, Halliday, Rossiter, Foderingham and Flanagan.

That would be twelve off the books we would not miss and that doesn’t even include Hastie, Jones, Docherty or Polster.

Absolutely horrendous waste of money.

With SIXTEEN away, that would still leave:-

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barisic, Kamara, Jack, Hagi, Aribo, Kent, Morelos

Subs: Firth, McCrorie, Patterson, Edmundson, Helander, Kamberi.

Must be one of the most bloated squads we’ve ever had. And we decided we needed Andy King at one point because that lot wasn’t enough!

:headwall:

Kamberi isn’t our player 

11 hours ago, KBOO72 said:

And yet arguably had a worse season than both. His form particularly in the first few months of the season was horrendous. I'd be extremely unhappy if we were relying on any of the 3 to be more than dependable squad players next season. 

I think he was knackered from playing with Canada last Summer. He only got a few weeks off. I think this lockdown may aid him and Davis/Defoe.

13 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Anyone else share my fears about this lay off for Davis Defoe and possibly even shagger?

Davis was very poor after xmas anyway and Defoe is clearly a distant second choice striker but losing what they provided early last season would take a lot to replace.

Aye, I mentioned it when this all kicked off that a six month+ layoff for the likes of Davis & Defoe could be really bad for them.

4 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Defoe is a interesting one. He was razor sharp at the end of last and the start of the cancelled season. By November time he seemed to lose a bit although still scored some goals. Dont think he was helped by our slight change in tactics of tav/borna whipping in crosses from everywhere like the liverpool fullbacks.

Great professional but I can't see him even making an impact of the bench unless we change formation.

The notion that we bin Defoe is just knee jerk imo, if you break it down, he is a back up striker, even allowing his injury at the turn of the year and playing 2nd fiddle to Alfie he was well on course to scoring 20+ goals for us last term....I'm not sure the market is flooded with back up strikers who are capable of yielding such returns...even if we changed tact and went for 2 up top I would want another striker brought in...Defoe still has ability to do us a turn but peoples judgements have been left clouded after the defeat at tynecastle....their will still be more good than bad where JD & Rangers are concerned 

50 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Kamberi isn’t our player 

Fair point but he’s been part of our squad for months and he’s burned his bridges with the spoonburners. Be surprised if the next strip he puts on isn’t ours. He’s ours if we want him.

53 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Kamberi isn’t our player 

That bench would also be one of the worst benches I have ever seen during our time supporting us.

People might not like them but players like Davis, Defoe and Arfield still have a (reduced) part to play next season. This Summer has to be about adding 3 or 4 quality players to the starting 11 rather than having another root and branch clear out that leaves is needing to bring in 8, 9 or 10 players.

Just now, DBBTB said:

That bench would also be one of the worst benches I have ever seen during our time supporting us.

People might not like them but players like Davis, Defoe and Arfield still have a (reduced) part to play next season. This Summer has to be about adding 3 or 4 quality players to the starting 11 rather than having another root and branch clear out that leaves is needing to bring in 8, 9 or 10 players.

Definitely need to have some of the players that are  considered as first team players relegated to squad players and as you say bring in some quality players 

Plenty suggestions Davis is finished , miby he is miby just hit the slump like the rest , when up to speed last season and the first half of this he was our best midfielder by an absolute mile 

2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Plenty suggestions Davis is finished , miby he is miby just hit the slump of the rest , when up to speed last season and the first half of this he was our best midfielder by an absolute mile 

He wasn't as good as Jack in the first half of the season, no way. Jack was the only player in the conversation for POTS with Morelos. 

His drop in form after the break was as alarming as the rest of the squads though, although in still not convinced that he was ever 100% fit. 

1 minute ago, KBOO72 said:

He wasn't as good as Jack in the first half of the season, no way. Jack was the only player in the conversation for POTS with Morelos. 

His drop in form after the break was as alarming as the rest of the squads though, although in still not convinced that he was ever 100% fit. 

Davis is a better player than jack mate 

People talk about Arfield like he is an old man. He is 31 and in the prime of his career. I wouldn't quite say the Canada thing is a myth but it gets overplayed on here in my opinion. Simply put,Scotty is a decent player who works tirelessly but is no superstar. He is definitely not old in today's football.

Defoe is never going to push hard/snap at heels to start in front of Morelos. This leads to Alfie knowing this and not too bothered about it and therefore becomes complacent 

we need a player desperate to knock Alfie out the team, this is called “competition for places”. Any rookie coach has this drilled into them.  

our squad is full of players happy enough to kick about in our tracksuit  getting the odd game.  It’s a feature that needs smashed. 

Davis has been poor lately and should go.  

Shagger is the best keeper in Scotland and will be for the next two seasons. 

On 27/05/2020 at 13:32, bluenoz said:

People talk about Arfield like he is an old man. He is 31 and in the prime of his career. I wouldn't quite say the Canada thing is a myth but it gets overplayed on here in my opinion. Simply put,Scotty is a decent player who works tirelessly but is no superstar. He is definitely not old in today's football.

I agree , people have to remember that he has always been a player who performs well for only a few weeks every season, he is not and never has been a player who performs consistently over the season.

Archived