Gerrard: Transfers & The Board

Steven Gerrard on Rangers prospects ahead of new season: "We need more. I've told the club that, I've been honest and open with what I feel we need. In terms of where we are at from a financial point of view, they are questions for other people, but I have made it quite clear that we need to add to what we've got. We need to add players into the 11 to make us stronger and then, naturally, that will make the squad stronger. At the moment, we still need to get people in the door."

“I am content here, I’m happy,” he said. “My people haven’t heard anything from Bristol City, so I think it’s just paper talk and rumours.”

Andy Newport Twitter

I'd say we also need go get rid of the deadwood as well and free up the wages.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already a similar debate in the transfer section but reading between the lines I think that tells us we won't be getting these 3 players the XI is crying out for.

Reluctant to blame the board on this one on the surface of it because they've backed him heavily and he's not delivered. It might be a case of "there's nothing left in the well - you've been front loaded cash, we need to go with what's there" 

It's not great, but I understand it (if that's the case) 

It's just making me irate that we never seem to learn the lessons in the transfer market. Yesterday's latest signing included. Yet folk can't really see the money we are wasting - even when it happens in front of their own eyes every time someones signed. They prefer to convince themselves it's exactly what we need, every time.

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Already a similar debate in the transfer section but reading between the lines I think that tells us we won't be getting these 3 players the XI is crying out for.

Reluctant to blame the board on this one on the surface of it because they've backed him heavily and he's not delivered. It might be a case of "there's nothing left in the well - you've been front loaded cash, we need to go with what's there" 

It's not great, but I understand it (if that's the case) 

It's just making me irate that we never seem to learn the lessons in the transfer market. Yesterday's latest signing included. Yet folk can't really see the money we are wasting - even when it happens in front of their own eyes every time someones signed. They prefer to convince themselves it's exactly what we need, every time.

It's like him and the recruitment team don't understand opportunity cost. The wages for Balogun could cover another position that he wants.

We have Helander, Goldson and Edmundson. Bassey signs and apparently can play CB. Why then go and get another CB? If they don't rate Bassey there then why was he rolled out claiming he can play at CB? You can not let Mayo go on loan. He plays McCrorie there in a game against Lyon, despite previously claiming McCrorie could be ruined there. Does he now think McCrorie can be a CB? There's plenty of options there.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Is this the get out if they win league and Gerrard walks away/ is sacked.

”I done all i could but wasn’t backed etc”

Funnily enough, it’s the first time i can remember him coming out with this.

Despite ober 20 million quid spent 😂😂

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's like him and the recruitment team don't understand opportunity cost. The wages for Balogun could cover another position that he wants.

We have Helander, Goldson and Edmundson. Bassey signs and apparently can play CB. Why then go and get another CB? If they don't rate Bassey there then why was he rolled out claiming he can play at CB? You can not let Mayo go on loan. He plays McCrorie there in a game against Lyon, despite previously claiming McCrorie could be ruined there. Does he now think McCrorie can be a CB? There's plenty of options there.

Especially since Bolgun's pre-season break is just starting and by the time he's had his rest, Helander might be weeks away from returning anyway.

I know we've got European qualifiers coming up too - but we don't play celtic until match day 11. We could cope until then with Goldson and Edmunson, surely? I know they aren't great but provided the tactics are correct and the players do their jobs we should be OK.

We should have won the league last season. It was in our own hands. Our squad last season was good enough to win the league IMO.

This season, our squad looks stronger. The signings have been solid, individuals from last year look better and youngsters look ready to play a part. We should be another year older, another year wiser. Our squad as it stands is good enough to win the league IMO.

Everyone knows how important this season is. The club knows this. The manager knows this. The players know this. Gerrard has been backed over the years. I think he'll be backed again but if not he needs to offload some of his failures and recruit better. 

Transfer budgets chat is boring. It's the go to excuse everyone makes. There are thousands of players out there available for good value. Spending big money doesn't guarantee success. You could argue most of our best signings over the years were bought for a relative pittance.

I would absolutely want more signings. I think everyone at the club has to give us the best opportunity to succeed this season. However I'm fed up of excuses. There can be no excuses this season.

21 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

As I just posted in another thread: he can sign all the players he wants but he needs to come up with a better system for playing against 80% of the SPFL.

Totally agree mate.

We are not going to find a better striker than Morelos for the position he plays, the system is the problem, it is also doubtful if the system were changed Morelos could be a part of it. I only see two up front being successful in the league and I don't think Morelos can work with another striker.

Some difficult decisions are on the horizon for the club I think.

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We have a squad of 29 players. We need to get some out of the door first.

Docherty, Jones, Murphy, Barker, McCrorie, Middleton, Barjonas and Stewart 

8 players leaving that doesnot devalue the squad quality. Get those 8 out and 4 quality players in and we are much better off.

Didn't realise we had so many in the squad

We definitely need to get rid of some.

1 minute ago, MorelosRangers said:

Jones and Docherty not being involved means they must be out the door soon.

Jones well and truly fucked his Rangers career up, and Docherty's already been told by Gerrard he's not wanted.

Hopefully we can get a buyer for both

Archived