Gerrard: Transfers & The Board

27 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Already a similar debate in the transfer section but reading between the lines I think that tells us we won't be getting these 3 players the XI is crying out for.

Reluctant to blame the board on this one on the surface of it because they've backed him heavily and he's not delivered. It might be a case of "there's nothing left in the well - you've been front loaded cash, we need to go with what's there" 

It's not great, but I understand it (if that's the case) 

It's just making me irate that we never seem to learn the lessons in the transfer market. Yesterday's latest signing included. Yet folk can't really see the money we are wasting - even when it happens in front of their own eyes every time someones signed. They prefer to convince themselves it's exactly what we need, every time.

Go read the new signing thread for a laugh 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

C'mon mate, every manager in the world is going to cry out for more. Even Pep.

It's certainly not a statement of a goner. 

Mate I get you're a Gerrard guy, but at worst case it is a roll of the dice without worrying about the consequences. Gerrard has had lots of money to spend here. A large majority of his buys have failed. He has one of the biggest sqauds and he has not utelized them very well at all. He has a bit of a cheek to demand more.

21 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If the players are good enough he won't need to worry about a system.

The players were good enough to dominate the league cup final and then bounce back to go on a run during the tricky December fixtures and be leading the league at Christmas. 

We’ve seen the same performance at Rugby park about four times now and nothing seems to change. It’s rare you’re going to be able to continue with the same XI/formation for an entire season. Teams will see what you’re doing and adapt to try and stop it. He needs to be able to show some flexibility when it’s not working. 

He’s been backed with more than enough to consistently beat 10 of the 11 teams in league yet we keep dropping points in the ‘lesser’ games. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We have a squad of 29 players. We need to get some out of the door first.

Docherty, Jones, Murphy, Barker, McCrorie, Middleton, Barjonas and Stewart 

8 players leaving that does not devalue the squad quality. Get those 8 out and 4 quality players in and we are much better off.

Squad of 29 yet we just signed 2 defenders while having goldson, tav, Patterson, edmunson, barisic, katic, helander and mccrorie on the books

Problem is yes we still might need more but we wouldn’t need as much if we’d had a successful summer window last season. 

Our issues are mainly due to the signings we made last year and at the time I honestly thought we turned a corner with managing to get wasters out the door and quality in. 

Since we came up we mustve spent the best part of £10m on transfers and wages on absolute shite. Warburton, Caixhina especially and Gerrard have all been guilty of it

At the end of the day, the sqaud Gerrard has/had has been more than capable of beating Hamilton, Hearts, Ross County etc. We failed in those games due to lack of an alternative plan/system. I would be apprehensive if I was on the board to give him even more money.

50 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

How so?

He's signed something like 30 players now. He's been backed. He has the players to play differently but he chooses not too. 

How many teams did we drop points to between August and December last season using this system that doesn't work against 80% of the SPFL teams? 

22 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Squad of 29 yet we just signed 2 defenders while having goldson, tav, Patterson, edmunson, barisic, katic, helander and mccrorie on the books

He's signed a one year deal because there's a possibility Katic might not make it this season. He signed a centre back, how are Tav, Patterson and Barisic relevant to that position? 

38 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Since we came up we mustve spent the best part of £10m on transfers and wages on absolute shite. Warburton, Caixhina especially and Gerrard have all been guilty of it

Garner, Pena, Cardoso, Herrera, Dorrans, Grezda. Must be close to 10 million in transfer fees for those guys alone with next to no return from any of them.

42 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Problem is yes we still might need more but we wouldn’t need as much if we’d had a successful summer window last season. 

Our issues are mainly due to the signings we made last year and at the time I honestly thought we turned a corner with managing to get wasters out the door and quality in. 

He said quality over quantity then signed quantity over quality :stevieg:

1 hour ago, Supersonic said:

Think it's about £23m+ on fees on 35 or so players. Doesn't include signing bonuses or wages either. Backed to the hilt for fuck all in return. 

Bit bored but here's what I've got (some of the figures might be wrong, but that's just how I see them).

Alan McGregor - free.
Andy Firth - free.
Jon McLaughlin - free.

Joe Worral - loan.
Jon Flanagan - free.
Helander - 3.5-million.
Goldson - 3.5-million.
Katic - 2-million.
Barisic - 2-million.
Polster - 200k.
Edmunson - 600k.
Balogun - free.
Bassy - free.
McAuley - loan/free.

Ejaria - loan.
Coulibaley - loan.
Ojo - loan.
Kent - 7-million.
Jones - free.
Stewart - free.
Hastie - free.
Hagi - 3.5-millon.
Aribo - development fee (300k)
Davis - free.
Kamara - 50k.
Barker - 600k.
Arfield - free.
Grezda - 2-million.
King - loan.
Murphy - 700k.

Sodiq - loan.
Defoe - free.
Kamberi - loan.
Lafferty - 450k.

I've got that as around 26.5-million, in 2 seasons. 

and a shit load of players (somewhere in the region of 35) - except forwards - which infuriates me. A couple of loans, one of whom never played, the other is Lafferty and also a 36-year old Defoe on (what I'm guessing) is a good wedge in wages per week.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Bit bored but here's what I've got (some of the figures might be wrong, but that's just how I see them).

Alan McGregor - free.
Andy Firth - free.
Jon McLaughlin - free.

Joe Worral - loan.
Jon Flanagan - free.
Helander - 3.5-million.
Goldson - 3.5-million.
Katic - 2-million.
Barisic - 2-million.
Polster - 200k.
Edmunson - 600k.
Balogun - free.
Bassy - free.
McAuley - loan/free.

Ejaria - loan.
Coulibaley - loan.
Ojo - loan.
Kent - 7-million.
Jones - free.
Stewart - free.
Hastie - free.
Hagi - 3.5-millon.
Davis - free.
Kamara - 50k.
Barker - 600k.
Arfield - free.
Grezda - 2-million.

Sodiq - loan.
Defoe - free.
Kamberi - loan.
Lafferty - 450k.

I've got that as almost 26-million, in 2 seasons. 

and a shit load of players - except forwards - which infuriates me. A couple of loans, one of whom never played, the other is Lafferty and also a 36-year old Defoe on (what I'm guessing) is a good wedge in wages per week.

That makes horrible reading.

That seems like a different angle from SG, he was just saying a few days ago that the board had backed him well.

I would also add that he is right we need 2 - 4 better players to make the team stronger, but we have bought far too many players the last couple of season that are not good enough and unless we give them away we are unlikely to get rid of them, especially the ones sitting on good wages. 

Just now, Bears r us said:

That seems like a different angle from SG, he was just saying a few days ago that the board had backed him well.

I would also add that he is right we need 2 - 4 better players to make the team stronger, but we have bought far too many players the last couple of season that are not good enough and unless we give them away we are unlikely to get rid of them, especially the ones sitting on good wages. 

That's why the comments are so interesting - to me anyway.

It sounds like something has changed past few days, because his tune's changed - as you point out. 

He may feel that because he's said in public that he's pleased with the backing as some sort of tactic to go into new discussions with them to curry favour, not heard what he wanted at the discussions and now his tone has changed. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

That's why the comments are so interesting - to me anyway.

It sounds like something has changed past few days, because his tune's changed - as you point out. 

He may feel that because he's said in public that he's pleased with the backing as some sort of tactic to go into new discussions with them to curry favour, not heard what he wanted at the discussions and now his tone has changed. 

I have not been on RM much tonight but was a very surprised when I read that from him. 

I am not sure the reasons but it is different and the first since he came I am sure.

Time will tell I suppose.

20 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Alan McGregor - free.
Andy Firth - free.
Jon McLaughlin - free.

Joe Worral - loan.
Jon Flanagan - free.
Helander - 3.5-million.
Goldson - 3.5-million.
Katic - 2-million.
Barisic - 2-million.
Polster - 200k.
Edmunson - 600k.
Balogun - free.
Bassy - free.
McAuley - loan/free.

Ejaria - loan.
Coulibaley - loan.
Ojo - loan.
Kent - 7-million.
Jones - free.
Stewart - free.
Hastie - free.
Hagi - 3.5-millon.
Davis - free.
Kamara - 50k.
Barker - 600k.
Arfield - free.
Grezda - 2-million.

Sodiq - loan.
Defoe - free.
Kamberi - loan.
Lafferty - 450k.

I've got that as almost 26-million, in 2 seasons. 

and a shit load of players - except forwards - which infuriates me. A couple of loans, one of whom never played, the other is Lafferty and also a 36-year old Defoe on (what I'm guessing) is a good wedge in wages per week.

Plus we made murphy permanent when Gerrard came in for about £1m I think?

I don't think Hastie was free either and Andy King isn't on that list either.

Fucking mental when you look at it though

Just now, Supersonic said:

Plus we made murphy permanent when Gerrard came in for about £1m I think?

I don't think Hastie was free either and Andy King isn't on that list either.

Fucking mental when you look at it though

Forgot about them, cheers, I'll update. Think Murphy was 700k.

Archived