Divided Support

minstral

Move with the time, yes we should...forget and give up our beliefs and traditions that made Glasgow Rangers Football Club what it is today...no thanks!

Good traditions? Like sporting endeavour, dignity, respect, a will to win and a club forever working to take us forward, to be better in every way we can. Modern day examples of progressive change would be the rebuilding of Ibrox, the signing of Super Mo and the foundations created for our future in Auchenhowie.

Rangers have always enjoyed widespread support and if anyone is really under the impression that we are more divided now than in the 'auld days' - I'd refer them to the period in the late seventies/early eighties before the Holmes, Souness and Murray era.

Back then bears fought amongst themselves in Ibrox. Back then we regularly had low crowds - ave. att. of around 18,000 in 82/83. Almost unimaginable now, but, hey, it was the good old days :rolleyes: Back then you could get away with songs of hate that are no longer acceptable. Back then you could take a bevvy into the ground - then lob it at your fellow bears when you lost it about something.

I'm proud of the changes for the betterment of The Rangers, proud of the modern era success and delighted that divisions amongst the support currently get expressed on internet forums rather than battering someone over the head with a Lanliq bottle.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move with the time, yes we should...forget and give up our beliefs and traditions that made Glasgow Rangers Football Club what it is today...no thanks!

Good traditions? Like sporting endeavour, dignity, respect, a will to win and a club forever working to take us forward, to be better in every way we can. Modern day examples of progressive change would be the rebuilding of Ibrox, the signing of Super Mo and the foundations created for our future in Auchenhowie.

Rangers have always enjoyed widespread support and if anyone is really under the impression that we are more divided now than in the 'auld days' - I'd refer them to the period in the late seventies/early eighties before the Holmes, Souness and Murray era.

Back then bears fought amongst themselves in Ibrox. Back then we regularly had low crowds - ave. att. of around 18,000 in 82/83. Almost unimaginable now, but, hey, it was the good old days :rolleyes: Back then you could get away with songs of hate that are no longer acceptable. Back then you could take a bevvy into the ground - then lob it at your fellow bears when you lost it about something.

I'm proud of the changes for the betterment of The Rangers, proud of the modern era success and delighted that divisions amongst the support currently get expressed on internet forums rather than battering someone over the head with a Lanliq bottle.

The best post I have read on this Forum

Totally agree :rangers:

Superb Post ... totally agree.

its sad to see because at one time we stood as one without the pc brigade, we were a community a way of life with a strong identity. we watched each others backs, and looked out for our own, we sang our hearts out, and all suffered together when not winning a title for 9 years. i remember when you could walk in with your drink and stand on the terracing, with a flute band belting out the songs behind you. but now rangers are a shell of a institution, discoloured by the pc brigade led by murray and bain, and there is a lot of our fans who would rather surrender that fight instead of sticking together.

There were a couple of flute bands in Manchester...took me back to the good days.

ffs are you another one who still believes Johston was the first catholic on our books :lol:

thak fuck i dont mix with the type of fan that you are, and by the way i was talking about the sixties, and for you all you are is a dreamer, still waiting for your answer about the songs you dont like, plus its do gooders like you that is the problem with our club.

ffs are you another one who still believes Johston was the first catholic on our books :lol:

Far from it - but I cant fail to recognise that the signing of Super Mo smashed an acknowledged, but never spoken of tradition worthy of being broken. His signing publicly and profoundly declared that The Rangers had shifted in outlook.

A brilliant, bold and brave move by our club. But, even that was bettered on the day he drilled the ball past Bonner to ignite wild celebrations and nail his acceptance by The Rangers support at large.

Magnificent :rangers:

thak fuck i dont mix with the type of fan that you are, and by the way i was talking about the sixties, and for you all you are is a dreamer, still waiting for your answer about the songs you dont like, plus its do gooders like you that is the problem with our club.

But you do mix with Rangers supporters like me all the time. People who don't want our club dragged back to the dark days surround you at Ibrox these days. And as for the sixties? You'll find again that many, many more surround you now than then. You say I'm a dreamer? I'm talking about the reality of the changes. Your romantically harking back to a period that saw Rangers fall sharply away from our biggest rivals, dreaming of a time when crowds were substantially lower than we have enjoyed since Holmes, Souness and Murray, but somehow still able to dismiss the problems we overcame. Like the violence, the hate-songs and celebration of a culture that meant any player of a catholic faith had to keep that very quiet.

Do you think, for example, that Lorenzo Amoruso could have been captain of The Rangers back then? No chance. None at all.

How can you not be proud of changes that allowed the likes of Super Mo, Amoruso, Albertz, Porrini, Gatusso and the like to not only be welcomed at Ibrox, but to be celebrated for the great players they were whilst no one gave a flying one about their religious beliefs? Don't you like the fact the clubs attendances have been sustained at record highs for such a long period - dwarfing the average crowds in the periods you refer to? Can anyone genuinely say they prefer the old stadium to the magnificent, safe arena we enjoy now? I'm taking it as read that no one but the nutters misses the fighting and violence and flying drink missiles.

And do you really need a list of the songs that we no longer sing? Can you not remember?

I'm not saying it was all bad, far from it. My favourite ever Rangers eleven is peppered with players from those days. I loved Wallace's trebles, the '72 Barcelona triumph, watching the likes of Henderson, Greig, Baxter, Smith, MacDonald and loving our club. I simply love more what it has evolved to be today and have immense pride in the way The Rangers continue to strive to be better still.

I don't hate the way you see things, even if I can't see the attraction, but you can't reasonably expect to romance those days and not accept an alternative response to how things really were.

By the way, my greatest ever Rangers eleven from players I have watched would be.

Goram

Jardine, Forsyth, Butcher, Greig.

Laudrup, Gascoigne, Souness, Baxter

McCoist, D Johnstone.

No bad! :rangers:

It wasnt that long ago that the words MORE THAN A CLUB were displayed in the Govan stand for all to see but sadly in the future with the way things are going we will be just another club.

Still adorns my desktop here at work that image. Sadly, you are correct. We will be, but, not in my heart

But you do mix with Rangers supporters like me all the time. People who don't want our club dragged back to the dark days surround you at Ibrox these days. And as for the sixties? You'll find again that many, many more surround you now than then. You say I'm a dreamer? I'm talking about the reality of the changes. Your romantically harking back to a period that saw Rangers fall sharply away from our biggest rivals, dreaming of a time when crowds were substantially lower than we have enjoyed since Holmes, Souness and Murray, but somehow still able to dismiss the problems we overcame. Like the violence, the hate-songs and celebration of a culture that meant any player of a catholic faith had to keep that very quiet.

Do you think, for example, that Lorenzo Amoruso could have been captain of The Rangers back then? No chance. None at all.

How can you not be proud of changes that allowed the likes of Super Mo, Amoruso, Albertz, Porrini, Gatusso and the like to not only be welcomed at Ibrox, but to be celebrated for the great players they were whilst no one gave a flying one about their religious beliefs? Don't you like the fact the clubs attendances have been sustained at record highs for such a long period - dwarfing the average crowds in the periods you refer to? Can anyone genuinely say they prefer the old stadium to the magnificent, safe arena we enjoy now? I'm taking it as read that no one but the nutters misses the fighting and violence and flying drink missiles.

And do you really need a list of the songs that we no longer sing? Can you not remember?

I'm not saying it was all bad, far from it. My favourite ever Rangers eleven is peppered with players from those days. I loved Wallace's trebles, the '72 Barcelona triumph, watching the likes of Henderson, Greig, Baxter, Smith, MacDonald and loving our club. I simply love more what it has evolved to be today and have immense pride in the way The Rangers continue to strive to be better still.

I don't hate the way you see things, even if I can't see the attraction, but you can't reasonably expect to romance those days and not accept an alternative response to how things really were.

By the way, my greatest ever Rangers eleven from players I have watched would be.

Goram

McCoist, D Johnstone.

we will never agree but i suggest you read the fantastic article called the forgotten ones by a member called d artangnan.

we will never agree but i suggest you read the fantastic article called the forgotten ones by a member called d artangnan.

Not agreeing is fine - there's room for us all to voice an opinion :unionflag:

I'll happily read the article you refer to if you could let me know where to find it.

its sad to see because at one time we stood as one without the pc brigade, we were a community a way of life with a strong identity. we watched each others backs, and looked out for our own, we sang our hearts out, and all suffered together when not winning a title for 9 years. i remember when you could walk in with your drink and stand on the terracing, with a flute band belting out the songs behind you. but now rangers are a shell of a institution, discoloured by the pc brigade led by murray and bain, and there is a lot of our fans who would rather surrender that fight instead of sticking together.

Nail on the head minstral, nail on the head.

By the way, your user name isnt thru a bar used by a section of our support in the 80's early 90's per chance? Had a few mad one's in there.. :unionflag:

Some of the post on here a like the last roars of the dinosaurs; people who are unable or unwilling to adapt to the fact that Rangers are now a multi-faith club playing in a multi-cultural Scotland.

If you want to hear flute bands and celebrate your protestant heritage - fine nobody is stopping you but do it via the lodge and let Rangers get on with the job of being a footballing institution rather than a loyal one.

Some of the post on here a like the last roars of the dinosaurs; people who are unable or unwilling to adapt to the fact that Rangers are now a multi-faith club playing in a multi-cultural Scotland.

If you want to hear flute bands and celebrate your protestant heritage - fine nobody is stopping you but do it via the lodge and let Rangers get on with the job of being a footballing institution rather than a loyal one.

Very true....some of these fans are living in a world than no longer exists and they just can't accept it. Rangers should have no particular religious ties.....yes we have a Protestant heritage/past, but they key word is 'past'....all that was over 100 years ago....for christ sake....100 years ago...it's gone...finished...things have changed....get over it!

The days of Orange walks and Flute bands at Ibrox are gone...if you want to celebrate your religion then I suggest a Church and not a football stadium. Most these fans moaning about our heritage/flute bands have probably not been in a church since their days at school. Rangers is not the place to practice your religion...find your local church and go there.

You don't see fans of Man United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid going on about religion and they are far more famous/successful clubs than Rangers. Rangers is a football club which used to have religious ties...it no longer does...either accept it or find a new hobby as the days of old are long gone.

All this stuff about 'our heritage' being denied is nonsense...who is denying Rangers used to be closely linked with the Protestant religion? Nobody, we all know this. Rangers of today has no ties whatsoever with any Religion.....many of the fans do...but the club does not. Nobody is stopping any Rangers fans practicing their faith....just don't do it at Ibrox as a football stadium is not the correct place to worship whatever faith you choose to follow......that's what churches are for. Come to Ibrox for the football and go to church for your praying just like any normal person does!

Rangers are a multi faith club....so if you want to celebrate the Protestant religion in the stands then would you also accept Catholic Rangers fans crossing themselves in the stands at Ibrox? Nope, they would be beaten up. Would you accept Catholic Rangers fans singing songs about the Pope? Nope, they would get beaten up. The simple facts are that the 'Flute Band' brigade do not want Rangers to be a club open to everybody...they want the 'good old days' of the club being the sporting symbol of the Protestant religion. Well nae luck...because it no longer is and never shall be again.

Just for the record, I was born a Protestant but I am now an atheist as I never believed in God and never practiced any form of religion. I chose to support Rangers as I was a big fan of Davie Cooper's skills as a child...so I chose Rangers based on football and not for misguided religious reasons. To be honest, people who choose their football clubs based on their religion (celtic are the worst for it) paint rather sorry figures in my eyes! It's football...a game involving a ball...it's a concrete stadium you go to every week...not Noah's Ark or Mount Sinai!

Rangers are a multi faith club....so if you want to celebrate the Protestant religion in the stands then would you also accept Catholic Rangers fans crossing themselves in the stands at Ibrox? Nope, they would be beaten up. Would you accept Catholic Rangers fans singing songs about the Pope? Nope, they would get beaten up. The simple facts are that the 'Flute Band' brigade do not want Rangers to be a club open to everybody...they want the 'good old days' of the club being the sporting symbol of the Protestant religion. Well nae luck...because it no longer is and never shall be again.

Before I was banned from Follow Follow, one poster said he would happily go back to the dark days of the early 80s if it meant he could sing the Billy Boys.

Very true....some of these fans are living in a world than no longer exists and they just can't accept it. Rangers should have no particular religious ties.....yes we have a Protestant heritage/past, but they key word is 'past'....all that was over 100 years ago....for christ sake....100 years ago...it's gone...finished...things have changed....get over it!

The days of Orange walks and Flute bands at Ibrox are gone...if you want to celebrate your religion then I suggest a Church and not a football stadium. Most these fans moaning about our heritage/flute bands have probably not been in a church since their days at school. Rangers is not the place to practice your religion...find your local church and go there.

You don't see fans of Man United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid going on about religion and they are far more famous/successful clubs than Rangers. Rangers is a football club which used to have religious ties...it no longer does...either accept it or find a new hobby as the days of old are long gone.

All this stuff about 'our heritage' being denied is nonsense...who is denying Rangers used to be closely linked with the Protestant religion? Nobody, we all know this. Rangers of today has no ties whatsoever with any Religion.....many of the fans do...but the club does not. Nobody is stopping any Rangers fans practicing their faith....just don't do it at Ibrox as a football stadium is not the correct place to worship whatever faith you choose to follow......that's what churches are for. Come to Ibrox for the football and go to church for your praying just like any normal person does!

Just for the record, I was born a Protestant but I am now an atheist as I never believed in God and never practiced any form of religion. I chose to support Rangers as I was a big fan of Davie Cooper's skills as a child...so I chose Rangers based on football and not for misguided religious reasons. To be honest, people who choose their football clubs based on their religion (celtic are the worst for it) paint rather sorry figures in my eyes! It's football...a game involving a ball...it's a concrete stadium you go to every week...not Noah's Ark or Mount Sinai!

Reading that mate all i can say is its a lot of drivel, absolute drivel...

There is no doubt that todays times are different from 100 years ago but for you to say "all that was over 100 years ago....for christ sake....100 years ago...it's gone...finished...things have changed....get over it!" really makes me wonder what type of person you are!

Are you suggesting that as some of the beliefs and morals Rangers were founded on dont fit in with todays society we should abandon them?

Im not being niave or a victim of blind faith but simply put Rangers for me are more than a football club! When you look at how our club was founded and the people that founded it, it beggars belief to say that Rangers are simply a football club and no more!

Im sorry but i cant forget the events that shaped the club and people we are simply because its doesnt suit the pc brigade!!

who is denying Rangers used to be closely linked with the Protestant religion? Nobody, we all know this.

It would depend on various periods in our illustrious history. When the club was formed it had no such religious links - they grew over time, peaked and now are on the wane.

I have no problem with Rangers being an iconic symbol for it's support - how that is expressed is fundamentally important however. Any baggage of bias - be it religious, racial or otherwise - is a load we could well do without and it is heartening to acknowledge it's diminishing importance.

It's also worth noting that Rangers were founded with no religious identity. We were just a sporting club. This remained so for 50 years until the great depression when, as is often the case, increased poverty brought increased social friction. Our most popular players of recent years have been Catholics, e.g. Dado, Nacho and Amoruso who was also captain and Le Guen's only issue was results.

We had Catholic players before and after Celtic were founded. We had Catholics before they had Protestants.

It's all irrelevant now.

Are you suggesting that as some of the beliefs and morals Rangers were founded on dont fit in with todays society we should abandon them?

To my knowledge, the four men from Garelochhead, Shandon and Rhu who formed the club had one goal in mind - to form a football club. There is no record whatsoever of the club founders setting out to achieve this with a focus on religious beliefs or morality. So, erm, what are you talking about?

I know there is a new book being written by a Helensburgh man about the founders with new information about them - I understand Rangers played against Helensburgh as a notable example - and part of it's focus will celebrate the fact that The Rangers are a club formed by Scottish Highlanders.

To my knowledge, the four men from Garelochhead, Shandon and Rhu who formed the club had one goal in mind - to form a football club. There is no record whatsoever of the club founders setting out to achieve this with a focus on religious beliefs or morality. So, erm, what are you talking about?

I know there is a new book being written by a Helensburgh man about the founders with new information about them - I understand Rangers played against Helensburgh as a notable example - and part of it's focus will celebrate the fact that The Rangers are a club formed by Scottish Highlanders.

What i was meaning was, fair enough the actuall members who invented/created/founded the club may not have set out with that focus the making of the club as it is today lies in religious beliefs and religious morality and to abandon them would be to forget everything that Rangers stands for!

And can you elaborate on the Scottish Highlanders part...as far as i was aware Garelochhead, Shandon and Rhu are far from the highlands!

Goram

McCoist, D Johnstone.

I respect and can understand all the points of view expressed. I have also been a Rangers fan for the years covered during this discussion and supported them through the lean years and the good times. Unfortunately, when I was younger I could not go to as many games as I would like to have attended for fear of being caught in the middle of a scuffle or hit by flying bottles etc. (some of you may not think women should be at a game anyway). Although I loved the banter and had no problem with the back and forth trading of insults things just too often got out of hand and nasty. For many years young supporters missed out on a chance to see the team play and their heroes up close because it was just not safe for them to go to Ibrox. At that time the players were to the most part Scottish home grown talent, things were bound to change when the market was opened to players from other countries. They just don't have that same passion an don't care about events 100 of yeras ago. Living abroad may have changed how I look at things now, but one thing I do know my passion for Rangers and the game of football has not wavered. I know I won't change anybodies view, just as I know I won't change mine (after all being stubborn is a Scottish trait). The team won't survive if it doesn't move on and win a few big trophy's and we have to think of the bears to come who deserve to have a team to be proud of with a good reputation throughout the world :rangers: .

lies in religious beliefs and religious morality and to abandon them would be to forget everything that Rangers stands for!

This is just drivel...please give me an example of the "religious morality" we have abandoned? As far as i'm aware there has been no official statement from Rangers telling us to start killing grannies and robbing pensioners.

Most our fans have no real religious belief's at all...most are paper Protestants just like I used to be. And who is asking you to abandon being a Protestant??? I can not see one example where Rangers have asked any fan to stop being a Protestant and I can't think of one example where Rangers or any Rangers fans have requested that we abandon Christian morals and start going around raping and pillaging towns and villages!

Rangers do not stand for anything other than football anymore. Do you not understand? The club has no ties anymore to any official religion and i'm not sure it ever did! (it certainly did not when it was formed).

Nobody at Rangers is asking you to stop being a Protestant...go to church, go on your Orange Walks, go to your lodge for a drink...what's the problem?