Rioting in M/chester from 11.30am

Gaffbear

I see they are now saying we rioted in Manchester from 11.30am,that we looted shops and merchandise stalls,fought with locals and police.I asked coppers outside Bar 38 at tea time if there had been any bother and he said only the Zenit fans throwing flares and chairs at Rangers fans and coppers.

They are blaming us for urinating in the street when they didn't supply enough toilets.I was asking a copper where to piss at Albert square and he said in that doorway mate.......then they turn on us for doin it.

But as far as the first bit goes then i must have been living on a defferent planet cos i saw nothing at all all day.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Albert Square and didn't see anything at all. The only problem was all the rubbish - but what did they expect if there were no bins. They had weeks to prepare for it and it was a complete shambles. They knew how many were coming.

According to the sun, GMP or Man council released a dossier over the weekend about us and the trouble started at 11.15am.

Anyways i read the whole story but let me ask the vital question, if this all took place at this time then why didn't the news reporters who where at the game (at piccadilly gardens) pick up on this? how come all the cctv footage that they (GMP) released is night time? and none of the day time?.

Somebody is covering something up and blaming us.

According to the sun, GMP or Man council released a dossier over the weekend about us and the trouble started at 11.15am.

Anyways i read the whole story but let me ask the vital question, if this all took place at this time then why didn't the news reporters who where at the game (at piccadilly gardens) pick up on this? how come all the cctv footage that they (GMP) released is night time? and none of the day time?.

Somebody is covering something up and blaming us.

Exactly Buba

Sorry, I'm not going to believe this unless someone shows me the CCTV footage timed 11am.

If this were true, how come no-one I've spoken to, and NOTHING I've read so far (whether fans, locals, statements from the police etc) have mentioned anything about this up until this "dossier" was released? Surely someone would have been aware of this so-called "rioting" during the day and would have mentioned it, especially considering the number of websites and forums we have been absolutely torn apart on about this. There were so many reporters around the fanzones doing pieces for the local news, but still nothing gets mentioned. Everything so far has been about how trouble kicked off after the screen went down.

Being in and around the city centre and fanzones for the afternoon, I saw no hint of trouble, and neither did any of the people I knew who were there. Rubbish, yes. Lack of toilets, yes. Pished people, yes. Rioting, no. The atmosphere was great during the day and the police were all laid back and friendly - if there had been rioting before this, I doubt they would have been acting like that.

Something about this smells very much like GMP trying to get themselves off the hook here. "Oh, it doesn't matter that we let too many people in to the fanzones, didn't police it well, and had a total lack of organization etc etc. There was rioting before all that!"

Hmm. <_<

I left the city centre for the stadium just after 5pm, when some our drunken tossers were throwing half full bottles of beer onto the pavements which were full of our own fans and locals leaving their work, this was just across from the Piccadilly zone. At that point, I decided to get out of the area.

I did not see any trouble before this, although a lot of people were legless or on their way there, everything seemed reasonably good natured and there was a good relationship with the police, who turned a blind eye to lots which would have not been tolerated in Glasgow.

I cannot comment on what went on later as I was at the match and I had parked on the other side of the city from the centre. But let us stop kidding ourselves that our supporters were angelic.

I left the city centre for the stadium just after 5pm, when some our drunken tossers were throwing half full bottles of beer onto the pavements which were full of our own fans and locals leaving their work, this was just across from the Piccadilly zone. At that point, I decided to get out of the area.

I did not see any trouble before this, although a lot of people were legless or on their way there, everything seemed reasonably good natured and there was a good relationship with the police, who turned a blind eye to lots which would have not been tolerated in Glasgow.

I cannot comment on what went on later as I was at the match and I had parked on the other side of the city from the centre. But let us stop kidding ourselves that our supporters were angelic.

Don't kid yourself on that more than 0.01% were responsible for the trouble.

...minor offences such as drunkenness.

I think that attitude is one of the biggest problems in our society...and I say that as someone who has been drunk in public many times.

I think that attitude is one of the biggest problems in our society...and I say that as someone who has been drunk in public many times.

Oh, yeah. British people can't drink but that's due to "stupid culture" we have. It's clever to be stupid and stupid to be clever. Waste your money on more alcohol than you can handle, thus harming your health and endangering your own safety in order to prove what a man you are.

Such attitudes are an indication of immaturity, and emotional insecurity.

Why drink so heavily on the day of your club's biggest match in 36 years? Did they want to forget the whole occasion?

"Shon, ah wiz as pished as a fart." "Aw Dad, yer such a big man!"

Oh, yeah. British people can't drink but that's due to "stupid culture" we have. It's clever to be stupid and stupid to be clever. Waste your money on more alcohol than you can handle, thus harming your health and endangering your own safety in order to prove what a man you are.

Why drink so heavily on the day of your club's biggest match in 36 years? Did they want to forget the whole occasion?

I meant that drunk and disorderly is considered a minor offence (even a comical matter). I think it's time for that to change.

It was a great day and the police & locals were mixing with us and having a good time. There was no organisation what so ever from the council & quite ironic that they set up the beer tents in a prime location yet they had the toilets outside the fan zones.

The majority of people were drunk but well behaved so parts of the latest news reports are unfair in pointing the finger at "rangers fans". The people who started to lob bottles at the screen were complete morons - the engineer obviously didn't feel safe and was right in getting out. There were a number of scummy bastards that call their selves fans in Manchester who spoiled it for everyone and I hope the police do catch them and they don't come near anything to do with the club again.

Rangers' Uefa Cup riot details revealed by Uefa

Monday, June 16, 2008

rangers blood

An official report into the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester has found evidence of anti-social behaviour eight hours before the match kicked off.

The study found the final between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg generated £20million for the local economy.

But the report into the violence which marred the event on May 14 revealed problems began in the morning of the game.

The Manchester City Council report detailed how acts on a fan zone stage were struck by missiles, fans urinated in the street and frightened staff were forced to flee from a merchandise stall.

Violence later broke out in Piccadilly Gardens when a big screen showing the match between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg failed to work shortly before the game started.

The report noted that the violence, in which 39 police officers were injured, involved a small number of 'isolated' incidents.

And it found that the 37,000 Rangers fans inside the City of Manchester stadium were well behaved and 'a credit to the club'.

Around 130,000 Rangers fans were in Manchester for the final, which, the report found, brought £20 million to the city's economy.

It stated: 'At 11.30am there was the first report of anti-social behaviour - missiles being thrown at the (Piccadilly Gardens) stage and the first reported fight between fans.

'The first act on stage lasted only 20 minutes out of the 45 minutes scheduled because they were pelted with cans and coins.'

It added: 'From 4pm the operators of the merchandise unit reported increasing problems in Piccadilly Gardens. Fans jumped over the security barrier and climbed on top of the sales unit.

'Large numbers of people were jumping up and down on the roof and urinating on top of the unit.

'Although the police were called the sheer numbers surrounding them meant there was little they could do.'

The report added that by 5pm the Piccadilly fan zone was almost full and stewards had to call for police assistance as 'large volumes' of fans forced the gates.

It added that by 7pm the merchandise unit was 'overrun' and frightened staff had to leave.

'Shutters could not be closed as the electrics had been damaged and the shop was full of rowdy fans. When they returned the next day, the tills were smashed and everything stolen.'

The report adds that a marquee was damaged and its contents looted and at 7.30pm the area behind the screen at Piccadilly Gardens was 'invaded' by fans.

It stated: 'Following the announcement of the screen failure, several hundred people became directly involved in acts of disorder, some caused criminal damage and considerable violence was directed at the police.'

The report was prepared by Manchester City Council chief executive Howard Bernstein. It will be considered by the authority's Communities and Neighbourhoods Committee tomorrow and the full council next week.

It is recommended that councillors note the successful staging of the final, comment on how the event was planned and run, and request that organisers of future large scale events in the city take account of the lessons learned.

The report found 39 fans were arrested across the city for offences including public disorder, assault and possession of offensive weapons.

But it stated that more than 99% of Rangers supporters had no involvement in any trouble.

It also revealed that the problem with the Piccadilly Gardens screen was due to failed signal reception.

Bottles were thrown at technicians trying to sort the problem and the report stated that the screen could have been fixed by kick-off if it had not been for the 'violence of the crowd'.

The stabbing of a Zenit St Petersburg fan was found to be an 'isolated incident' and fans inside the stadium were praised for their overall conduct during the match, which Rangers lost 2-0.

The report said complaints that police response to the disorder was heavy-handed would be dealt with by Greater Manchester Police's complaints committee.

It noted that the response of the multi-agency committee to the Rangers fans was the correct one and banning alcohol could have caused more serious disorder.

The report recommended that future city centre events of such a scale should be ticketed, and fan zones should only be set up in venues which can replicate conditions at football grounds, including controlled access to alcohol.

It said Piccadilly Gardens should not be used for similar events in the future. Toilet facilities in place on May 14 could not cope with the number of fans.

'The visit of Glasgow Rangers to Manchester for the UEFA Cup final in May was an extraordinary event,' it said.

'Apart from a small number of isolated incidents, the only serious disorder took place in Piccadilly Gardens with fighting and looting in the afternoon turning into an assault on police and stewards once the screen failed to function.

'Nevertheless it must be noted that this involved a number of hundreds of Rangers fans with 99%-plus having no involvement whatsoever.'

So basically all the criticisms of GMC and GMP were right.

Don't you ever get drunk or enjoy yourself or are you as far up your own arse in your every day life as you are on here.

Don't you ever get drunk or enjoy yourself or are you as far up your own arse in your every day life as you are on here.

I'll have 3, 4 or 5 pints or a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz or Merlot in an evening, but rarely much more. I don't get "drunk" but do enjoy myself.

Enjoyment can be a conscious experience.

Manchester & Manchester only are to blame imho. If they had managed the whole day properly and made provisions for at least double the amount of fans that was required, nothing would have happened, FACT.

And i still believe the polis woman who told me after the picadilly screens had 'failed', that the council had decided at 3pm they were not gonna show the game on the screens there for fear of trampling if we scored, she said she felt us, The Rangers fans had been set up as well as themselves the GMP, from the council.

Looking forward to travelling down to a city game next seeason now.

Am sure i just seen ma cousin on the news, holding his hands up whilst the GMP riot squad was indiscriminatly attacking innocent fans, whilst the troublemakers were well gone. twats..

I'll have 3, 4 or 5 pints or a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz or Merlot in an evening, but rarely much more. I don't get "drunk" but do enjoy myself.

Enjoyment can be a conscious experience.

I've never heard of those beers. where are they from?

Synopsis fro The Metro; which is far less hysterical and more balanced.

The Manchester City Council report detailed how acts on a fan zone stage were struck by missiles, fans urinated in the street and frightened staff were forced to flee from a merchandise stall.

Violence later broke out in Piccadilly Gardens when a big screen showing the match between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg failed to work shortly before the game started.

The report noted that the violence, in which 39 police officers were injured, involved a small number of 'isolated' incidents.

And it found that the 37,000 Rangers fans inside the City of Manchester stadium were well behaved and 'a credit to the club'.

Around 130,000 Rangers fans were in Manchester for the final, which, the report found, brought £20 million to the city's economy.

It stated: 'At 11.30am there was the first report of anti-social behaviour - missiles being thrown at the (Piccadilly Gardens) stage and the first reported fight between fans.

'The first act on stage lasted only 20 minutes out of the 45 minutes scheduled because they were pelted with cans and coins.'

It added: 'From 4pm the operators of the merchandise unit reported increasing problems in Piccadilly Gardens. Fans jumped over the security barrier and climbed on top of the sales unit.

'Large numbers of people were jumping up and down on the roof and urinating on top of the unit.

'Although the police were called the sheer numbers surrounding them meant there was little they could do.'

The report added that by 5pm the Piccadilly fan zone was almost full and stewards had to call for police assistance as 'large volumes' of fans forced the gates.

It added that by 7pm the merchandise unit was 'overrun' and frightened staff had to leave.

'Shutters could not be closed as the electrics had been damaged and the shop was full of rowdy fans. When they returned the next day, the tills were smashed and everything stolen.'

The report adds that a marquee was damaged and its contents looted and at 7.30pm the area behind the screen at Piccadilly Gardens was 'invaded' by fans.

It stated: 'Following the announcement of the screen failure, several hundred people became directly involved in acts of disorder, some caused criminal damage and considerable violence was directed at the police.'

The report was prepared by Manchester City Council chief executive Howard Bernstein. It will be considered by the authority's Communities and Neighbourhoods Committee tomorrow and the full council next week.

It is recommended that councillors note the successful staging of the final, comment on how the event was planned and run, and request that organisers of future large scale events in the city take account of the lessons learned.

The report found 39 fans were arrested across the city for offences including public disorder, assault and possession of offensive weapons.

But it stated that more than 99% of Rangers supporters had no involvement in any trouble.

It also revealed that the problem with the Piccadilly Gardens screen was due to failed signal reception.

Bottles were thrown at technicians trying to sort the problem and the report stated that the screen could have been fixed by kick-off if it had not been for the 'violence of the crowd'.

The stabbing of a Zenit St Petersburg fan was found to be an 'isolated incident' and fans inside the stadium were praised for their overall conduct during the match, which Rangers lost 2-0.

The report said complaints that police response to the disorder was heavy-handed would be dealt with by Greater Manchester Police's complaints committee.

It noted that the response of the multi-agency committee to the Rangers fans was the correct one and banning alcohol could have caused more serious disorder.

The report recommended that future city centre events of such a scale should be ticketed, and fan zones should only be set up in venues which can replicate conditions at football grounds, including controlled access to alcohol.

It said Piccadilly Gardens should not be used for similar events in the future. Toilet facilities in place on May 14 could not cope with the number of fans.

'The visit of Glasgow Rangers to Manchester for the UEFA Cup final in May was an extraordinary event,' it said.

'Apart from a small number of isolated incidents, the only serious disorder took place in Piccadilly Gardens with fighting and looting in the afternoon turning into an assault on police and stewards once the screen failed to function.

'Nevertheless it must be noted that this involved a number of hundreds of Rangers fans with 99%-plus having no involvement whatsoever.'

Just thinking about the week before it all kicked off, we got told there was only going to be about 30-40 thousand rangers fans going to manchester, but of course we kicked up a stink about, treated unfairly etc, however they caved under the pressure and said we're all welcome.

looking back at that one has to wonder if this was all planned?