Wage demands

nvager

As stated in the Shittu thread, the deal collapsed over the wages of 15,000 per week demanded by the player.

Is it not true that others in the team earn more? Some considerably more?

If we were to go after a quality player then should we not expect demands of this level considering wages paid elsewhere?

Did Celtic last year not pay S Brown 24,000 per week? Graveson was quoted at 40,000 per week? Balde?

How much then would S Davis be earning at Fulham? What would we offer him?

This has left me puzzled. Perhaps they saw Shittu as a back-up for Weir and not a replacement?

What do you all think?

tbh 15 grand a week is quite a bit of cash,hes a championship player and i feel that we may have made the right decision,we cant be held to ransom by players who think they are better than they actually are,mibee hes been learning from the bobo balde book of taking the cnut.

Too risky to spend that kind of wages on someone.

Same with Brown and Walter was right there (or should we say Bain was right, or do we only bring him into it when deals fall flat?), and Graveson turned out to be shit too. We don't want to be stuck with rubbish players on high wages.

Shittu could've been shit tu. (Get it?)

Well we thought he was good enough to spend 1.5m quid on - that fee then cannot get you 15k a week. You need to be worth 2m or more to get the 15k per week?

We obviously rated him but just not that highly. Maybe as Weir's back-up?

shittu is on £10,000 a week at watford and his demnds are £20,000 a week. we had offered £15,000 but rangers pulled out becuse shittu was sticking to the £20k and nt willing to change his demands. fair play to rangers sticking firmly to their offer but we wont get any 'quality' if this is gonna happen all the time.

we need to be able to take a risk on wages with 1 or 2 players. we can get sum 'quality' but bain has to stop bein tight b*stard n at least give a fair offer for players.

walters views on a quality signings differs from mine

kenny mhiller ffs

will be hard to get another player like king carlos in

but here is hopeing we can pull summit out the bag

I'm sure we can offer enough wages when the standard of player requires it.

In saying that we have a wage structure which reflects the league we play in. It's not realistic to play over £30K p/week anymore for us and it's definitely not realistic to pay a Championship defender £20 p/week either.

just a shame we don't target that standard of player anymore.

Too true... :(

However, bargains and quality players can be had at the level we buy players for. The quality of the Millers and McCullochs of this world can of course be debated but I think we can all agree Cuellar represents great value at a similar cost. I also think Lafferty will go on to become an important player for us.

There's no doubt to maximise such signings and any wage costs thereafter, our scouting system has to improve and we need to be more efficient in other ways.

Some cans help as well by being realistic in their expectations and not writing off every new player before they've even had a chance to impress.

I think reading Smith's quotes this morning, it appears that its not a case of not being able to afford Shittu's demands but that the management dont feel he is worth what he is asking for, which i think is fair enough. I doubt there are many at Ibrox on the £20 grand a week Shittu is looking for, in saying that i would hope that if we ever get in the position of being in the position to sign a player of a higher standard than we currently have we would pay the £20-25 grand a week they maybe looking for.

shittu is on £10,000 a week at watford and his demnds are £20,000 a week. we had offered £15,000 but rangers pulled out becuse shittu was sticking to the £20k and nt willing to change his demands. fair play to rangers sticking firmly to their offer but we wont get any 'quality' if this is gonna happen all the time.

we need to be able to take a risk on wages with 1 or 2 players. we can get sum 'quality' but bain has to stop bein tight b*stard n at least give a fair offer for players.

One word, Cuellar!

Did I also not read that he (his agent) said he didnt want a new contract because he is happy with his wages as well?

English players ALL think they are better than they are, and, that they should be paid stupid amounts, same as the teams expect stupid amounts for their players. Its due to the nature of the game down there. I am really pleaseed we havent given him £20k a week, I dont think he is worth it, is he better than Carlos? I would wager the answer is a big fucking NO!

Call me old-fashioned, but I would like to think that for a player, given the opportunity to play for Rangers would not have money foremost in his mind.

Sadly it doesnt seem to be the case today :(

Indeed it is sad, some players don't know how lucky they are these days. :(

Incidently... I think Rangers could afford £20k per week... just not for a player of Dan's standards.