The official RM El Clásico thread

TMWWBK

FC BARCELONA VS. REAL MADRID

Camp Nou

Saturday, December 13, 2008

21:00 GMT

15hmxb9.jpg

33lpo4w.jpg

So, the Primera Liga's first "Clasico" is just around the corner and it looks as if it's going to be the best in years...

If you're a Barca fan that is! :D

No, but seriously, in Madrid's case it's amazing what one win can do for morale. Whilst many Madridista's (and indeed the now ex manager) have abjectly wrote the game off as a training session for Barca for weeks now, Wednesday nights win over Zenit has given everyone at the club an implicit boost. Sure, Zenit were no great shakes, but it was only a couple of weeks ago when Madrid were struggling to scrape wins against the likes of Recreativo (the worst team in Spain) and were being completely destroyed by Getafe. Don't get me wrong, i don't think there's one Blanco out there who expects to take anything from the game, but Señor Ramos has instilled a new sense of umm.. well, he's instilled a new sense of something, put it that way.

As for Barca, well they want blood after Madrid's back to back victorys over them last season. Incase you haven't heard (or have been in a coma), Pep Guardiola's current Barca side is apparently better than the "Dream Team" that he marshalled under Johan Cruyff's guidance during the 90's. Prior to this match they've thwacked Valencia 4-0 at the Camp Nou and Sevilla 3-0 at the Pizjuan. A minor hiccup against Victor Munoz' Getafe side apart, domestically they've been stunning. With Henry, Eto'o and Messi all in captivating form, the Madrid defence have really do have their work cut out.

El Clasico wouldn't be El Clasico it's usual pre match rumours. The rumour in Madrid is that Jerzy Dudek will start ahead of San Iker Casillas, with Michel Salgado starting only his second ever game as a left back. In Catalonia, there's been mutterings about Eidur Gudjohnsen coming in to fill the Iniesta role in midfield.

Probable line up's -

FC Barcelona

GK: Victor Valdés

RB: Dani Alves

CB: Márquez

CB: Puyol

LB: Abidal

CM: Xavi

DM: Yaya shoot

CM: Gudjohnsen

RW: Messi

CF: Eto'o

LW: Henry

Real Madrid

GK: Dudek

RB: Metzelder

CB: Cannavaro

CB: Ramos

LB: Salgado

RM: Van Der Vaart

CM: Gago

CM: Guti

LM: Drenthe

SS: Higuain

CF: Raul

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't miss it. A truly magical occasion that mixes techincal mastery with passionate, unrelentless desire.

TM's prediction: Barcelona 3 - 1 Real Madrid.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to this!

I'm going to go against everyone and put £50 on a Real Madrid win - everyone will be backing Barcelona but Juande Ramos will have had 5 days in charge, that is a long time in football - Rea Madrid know they can't afford to lose, they'll sneak a win!

3-0 Barca. If Salgado plays left back Messi will have a field day....wait it doesn't matter who plays left back, Messi WILL have a field day :D

Barca are too hot just now, although a new manager seems to get an upturn in results for a while I don't Ramos' appointment will have a factor imo.

I admire your risk tasking bud, but that's a bold, bold bet.

At best, Madrid could take a draw, but even then i'd say that's a 50-1 shot.

Thanks mate.

Its near Christmas, that win or tbh any winnings could pay for most of it than my wages doing it - which would be a bonus.

And to be really honest, I'm actually more of an admirer of Barca but money is money.

I cant see past a Barca win Unfortunately!

Pepe was outstanding in the Camp Nou last year and they will miss him this weekend!

As for the line-ups i would prefer Ramos to play RB and Metzelder to play alongside canavarro but i dunno if that will happen!

Hala Madrid! Into these terrorist supporting scum!

LA LIGA

Venue: Camp Nou, Barcelona Date: Saturday 13 Dec Kick-off: 2100 GMT

Coverage: Live on Sky Sports One, live text commentary on BBC Sport website

New Real Madrid coach Juande Ramos insists his team can beat Barcelona at the Camp Nou to boost their ailing hopes of retaining the league title.

Ramos's predecessor Bernd Schuster was sacked on Tuesday after stating Real were incapable of winning the match - but the Spaniard believes they can.

"We're going to the Camp Nou to win," said the ex-Tottenham coach on Friday.

"We're capable of doing so, as has happened on other occasions. It's going to a great, hard-fought game."

Reigning Spanish champions Madrid sit fifth place in La Liga, nine points adrift of leaders and arch-rivals Barcelona.

Ramos replaced Schuster on a six-month contract to become Madrid's eighth coach in less than six years.

The former Tottenham coach's first league game is crucial as he bids to avoid a defeat that would leave his new club 12 points adrift.

If there is a team capable of winning in the Camp Nou, it's us

Real Madrid's Fabio Cannavaro

Madrid have lost three of their past four league matches, while Barcelona have won 11 and drawn one of their past 12, during which they have scored 43 goals.

Arjen Robben was sent off in the closing stages of Sunday's 4-3 home defeat by Sevilla and is suspended along with left-back Marcelo.

Robben says his team have not given up on winning a third straight league title despite their poor start.

"Not at all. I mean if we win on Saturday anything can happen," said the Dutchman.

Since Madrid beat Barcelona 4-1 three days after winning its second straight league title, the Catalan team has been transformed by coach Pep Guardiola, who replaced Frank Rijkaard at the end of last season.

"A win would give us an important advantage over Madrid and a boost to help us make progress," said Mexican defender Rafael Marquez.

"Hopefully it will be a great game and we can convince people that the 4-1 is forgotten. It's something that I don't like thinking back to and I understand people want revenge."

And Guardiola predicts Madrid will adopt a new style on Saturday under Ramos, who was formerly in charge of Barcelona's reserve team.

"With Schuster, we knew more or less what they were doing," he said. "With Juande, I imagine they'll do other things."

Barcelona should have a near fully fit squad to choose from for Saturday.

Striker Samuel Eto'o missed training but is expected to return, while Andres Iniesta is recovering well from injury.

Real are reeling from the news that Ruben de la Red, who collapsed unconscious during a match at the end of October, could miss the rest of the season.

He joins long-term absentees Ruud van Nistelrooy and Mahamadou Diarra on the sidelines.

"I can't remember a situation like the one we are in right now, with three players sidelined for the entire season," Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon told Spanish TV on Thursday.

But Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro has insisted Real can still take three points from Barcelona on Saturday: "If there is a team capable of winning in the Camp Nou, it's us," the Italian said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7776472.stm