• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm up for a discussion.

Should Boyd have started today?

He should start in all of our home games IMO

The factor which determines his success in my opinion is whether we're dominating possession or not. In games where we dictate the play he doesn't get isolated or hurt us too much by giving the ball away, but in games where we aren't dominating possession (top six sides away from home, old firm games, European games) he finds it far more difficult to make an impact and causes us massive problems with his inability to hold on to the ball.

Kris Boyd's form is as bad as all the other forwards right now, if he'd started i doubt it would have made much difference. He was perhaps a bit more of a goal threat but overall there wasn't much impact.

But today did prove that taking him out of the team isn't going to solve all our problems like some people might think.

But today did prove that taking him out of the team isn't going to solve all our problems like some people might think.

Sure did. It showed that the main problem in our team isn't Kris Boyd.

I wouldn't say he's the main problem in the team, but I wouldn't say he's the solution to our problems either.

Younger members wont remeber Ally siiting on the bench for long spells, they also don't remember the amount of poor performances he put in for rangers and popped up with the winner - which we all praised him for at the time

I am glad he stuck it out because he ended up being a legend

What confuses me is how good a footballer he is made out to be, anyone who saw rangers during his time would never put footballing ability before his goalscoring ability

Ally is a Rangers legend for his goalscoring not his footballing ability

He is in my opinion a better all round player than Boyd - but I find it quite sad the criticism Boyd gets whenever the full team struggle against anyone

My respect for Boyd is because of his goalscoring record - I don't think he is playing as badly as some on here make out - but all opinions are valid

He certainly gets more stick on the internet than he gets at ibrox or any game I have been at

Lets hope he regains his scoring form soon and we can all get to supporting the team instead of looking for a scapegoat

Well said! :clap:

Younger members wont remeber Ally siiting on the bench for long spells, they also don't remember the amount of poor performances he put in for rangers and popped up with the winner - which we all praised him for at the time

I am glad he stuck it out because he ended up being a legend

What confuses me is how good a footballer he is made out to be, anyone who saw rangers during his time would never put footballing ability before his goalscoring ability

Ally is a Rangers legend for his goalscoring not his footballing ability

He is in my opinion a better all round player than Boyd - but I find it quite sad the criticism Boyd gets whenever the full team struggle against anyone

My respect for Boyd is because of his goalscoring record - I don't think he is playing as badly as some on here make out - but all opinions are valid

He certainly gets more stick on the internet than he gets at ibrox or any game I have been at

Lets hope he regains his scoring form soon and we can all get to supporting the team instead of looking for a scapegoat

Well said! :clap:

I second this.

Its amazing how someone who has scored so many goals for us, is constantly used as a scapegoat.

Give Kris Boyd his chance against Seville

I was at Ibrox as a punter — I’m afraid journalistic impartiality forbids me from stating which colours I was wearing — sitting in the Broomloan Road stand the last time Rangers beat Spanish opponents in European competition.

Through the glaur and gloom of that torrential Glasgow night 24 years ago I can still see Craig Paterson up at the other end of the field, straining his neck like a giraffe to reach Hugh Burns’ improbably adept free kick and head Rangers’ winner against Osasuna in the old Uefa Cup.

Burns, soon to become a victim of the Graeme Souness revolution at Rangers, whipped in a free kick of such pace and venom that the Osasuna defenders were quite confounded by it. An entire choir of heads went up for that delivery, but it was Paterson who reached it to thrust the ball into the net.

The former Rangers captain, now a highly respected BBC Scotland pundit, has been contacted by one or two media people in recent days to talk about his goal, given the historic significance of it in relation to Rangers’ meeting with Seville in the Champions League at Ibrox tomorrow night. Like most people — including Walter Smith — Paterson thinks the current Rangers side face a tall order in trying to quell Manolo Jimenez’s rampant team, and there may be some truth in this. But I have to say, I beg to differ.

Rangers, despite their stodgy form in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, have plenty of skill in their side. It is a peculiarity of Smith’s team that they may just have the players who can be more attuned to European football, where the pace is slower and time on the ball less harassed, rather than the frisky stampede of much SPL business. We saw glimpses of this when Rangers drew 1-1 with Stuttgart in Germany 11 days, and we may be about to see it again when Seville arrive tomorrow.

Much will depend on who is fit and available to Smith, but such players as Allan McGregor, Madjid Bougherra, David Weir, Steven Whittaker, Kevin Thomson, Pedro Mendes, Steven Davis and Steven Naismith have enough ability between them to form the nucleus of a team that should be suited to European competition and do well in the early stages of the Champions League. Seville are a better side than Rangers but the Scottish champions should still be able to contest evenly with them with home advantage at Ibrox. The cynicism coming from many about Rangers’ chances in this Champions League group stage seems overly gloomy.

Much may depend on Smith’s tactics, and therein lies a dilemma for the Rangers manager. It has remained a nagging issue for Smith that, while wishing to make his team more attractive and attack-minded in Europe, he nonetheless had such success two years ago playing 4-1-4-1 while concentrating more on stopping others than advancing Rangers. Smith’s side was widely slated for their playing style while reaching the 2008 Uefa Cup final, but Smith himself hardly cared about that, and nor did most of the club’s supporters.

Yet Smith, while experimenting recently with more attack-minded players such as Naismith and Nacho Novo in the wide areas of a 4-5-1, has never quite squared the circle in his mind. He still knows Rangers may be more successful in Europe by being obdurate rather than offensive, so will he succumb to temptation tomorrow by reverting to defensive type, or will he open Rangers up as a more penetrating force against Seville? And the even bigger question — just who is going to score for Rangers when the chances come?

It would be uplifting if Smith chose to advance the Kris Boyd debate by simply throwing him into this game tomorrow to see what he could do. The 26-year-old striker — yes, sometimes lazy and clumsy — has committed the cardinal sin of being a rampant goalscorer for Rangers, yet is so often confined to the bench for such occasions. Smith claims this is because Boyd is ill-suited to many of Rangers’ European strategies but, when playing at home and seeking a victory, this argument sounds less convincing.

Smith may shun such advice, but it would be good to see what Boyd could do against the Spaniards. Moreover, should the striker start and duly flounder, his manager would have further evidence with which to rebuff Boyd’s staunchest supporters. Yet the fact remains that any striker who has averaged two-goals-per-three-games, as Boyd has done in his three and half years at Ibrox, should be worth a punt tomorrow evening.

“We are getting the opportunities to score, it’s just that we’re not taking them,” the Rangers manager said after Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Aberdeen at Ibrox. The solution to this seems obvious. The Rangers team tomorrow night will reveal just how highly — or lowly — Smith thinks of his most prolific striker.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6851535.ece

Give Kris Boyd his chance against Seville

(tu)

Struggles against SPL defences, would hate to see him against one of Spain's finest!

They could play with two at the back, and we'd still struggle because playing Boyd means Walter Smith would have to play 4-4-2.

It doesn't work in the SPL so it sure aint going to work in the Champions League.

Boyd up against Dragutinović, Escude, Squillaci and Navarro?

That would be awful.

After Saturday, would it be any worse than punting long balls up to Novo/Miller??

Our whole pool of forwards is so poor, very overrated I think.

Thing is nothing is working just now, Boyd not in the box enough, midfield totally shot shy, or best attacking force is Bougie, Miller is just fucking awful. Frankly without lafferty I'd rather have Naismith or Boyd up front (or even my pet hate McCulloch) before Miller

Our whole pool of forwards is so poor, very overrated I think.

To be honest our midfield is just as bad. Our team and strikers used to thrive on great delivery and service into the box, look at a ton of McCoists goals, i think even he'd struggle for us now with how poor our service is up front.

As for Boyd..

Watching the KRIS BOYD 100 GOALS video, you can see he thrives on decent crosses and passes by other players, as you could also see when he made the run from a great Mendes ball that set up naismith last week.

If there was decent support to him he wouldn't struggle as much, goes for him and any of the strikers.

Our teams become to dependent on wanting the strikers to do it all and come take the ball from the midfield, when we should be feeding them the ball to score. I'm not saying all they have to do is stand in the 6 yard box, but we've gone from feeding strikers goals to having almost no shots at all during a game, if any.

It's woeful.

There is a ray of light with Rothen, i get the feeling his service into the box is just what Boyd and co need.