Rangers Crest

Right this has been doin my nut for ages and i've never had a decent answer. My pal whose a newcastle fan asked me why we have two badges and why don't we use the lion rampant one on the shirt. It was during a champions league draw a few years back, i couldn't answer. I always thought that the 'RFC' one was there for tradition, was our original crest, take it the lion rampant is fairly recent and we are a club that keeps our traditions. Anyone know?

Let's start a rumour that the RFC was in tribute to the Royal Flying Corps because several players served in it during WW1, after all it's no more unbelievable than the red at the top of the socks being the fenian blood that we are up to our knees in :cool:

All I can really say for sure is that the lion rampart was around in the 20s when the Bill Struth stand was built.

Another interesting question is when did Aye Ready became simply Ready?

yeah was wondering that the other day....be interesting to see if anyones got some answers!

All I can really say for sure is that the lion rampart was around in the 20s when the Bill Struth stand was built.

Why not put the two badges on the shirts? We could have one the front of shirt and one on the sleeve, they are both good designs and a credit to the club. It seems pretty clear that the crest with the lion rampant is more to do with business/advertising needs as all can understand what the badge is to do with.

'Aye Ready'....why was this dropped to only 'Ready'? A good question which i think is something to do with the fact that maybe alot of people today do not use or recognise the Scots language. I may be wrong here but how many, especially the younger generation, recognise the word 'Aye' as meaning 'Always'? The reason i say this as i see alot of folk using the word 'Aye' as meaning 'Yes' in texts and converation.

There are two ways of spelling what we say as I; 'Ay' meaning yes , and 'Aye' meaning always.

AYE READY

Always Ready(English translation)

ps. heres an other good example of the word 'Aye'; 'Aye tae the fore' meaning 'Always to the front'.

AYE READY; AYE TAE THE FORE

Let's start a rumour that the RFC was in tribute to the Royal Flying Corps because several players served in it during WW1, after all it's no more unbelievable than the red at the top of the socks being the fenian blood that we are up to our knees in :cool:

:D Funny you said that, 'cause I always think of the Gers whenever I'm reading tomes on the Great War and come across references to the Royal Flying Corps.

Thats a good one!!

:bouncy: :bouncy: I would like to see the Lion and Aye Ready badge on the shirt (above the heart !!) and maybe the RFC motif on the shorts. I can remember the first time I seen the RFC on the shirt would have been the mid-sixties, I think. Before that I don't think they had anything did they?? :rangers:

Originally it was "Aye Work Awa" then changed to "Ready Aye Ready" then again to "Aye Ready" and the last change to just "Ready"

The last change was due to Rangers legally binding the motto to the club in 1966.

Also the first crest we used was a blue hexagram used from 1876 to 1879, we then didnt use another crest until 1968

18ox0y.gif

We then changed it after Admiral began sponsoring us for the seasons 1990-1992, followed with adidas strip 1992 - 1994 shown above

258xv8h.gif

then back to the original after that, then Nike came in 1997 and put a shield round the RFC which was dropped for the following season.

I think we should keep the 'RFC' crest on the shirt like the simplicity of the design, everyone knows it as the rangers crest. Anyone seen Flamenco's rip off of it. They blatantly thought thats a good design!