Walter says ''"He (Barry) is starting to play at the top of his game again.'

Boab

RANGERS manager Walter Smith reckons captain Barry Ferguson is back to his best at exactly the right time.

The Ibrox midfielder produced a man-of-the-match performance as well as scoring the winning goal at the weekend in his side's 1-0 win over Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park.

Ferguson has come in for criticism this season for failing to hit top form after returning from ankle surgery at the beginning of the season.

But Smith has noticed an improvement in his skipper's displays recently and said: "Barry has been playing well for the last month and he is starting to pick up.

"He was out for a period of time in the early part of the season and it was always going to be difficult to come back, when you take into consideration that the whole team started the season slowly.

"When you're Rangers captain and have been here a few years as Barry has people forget that you're the same as everyone else and when you've been out for a while, it takes a while to get back from injury.

"But I think he has been playing exceptionally well in the last period and he played well on Saturday.

"He is starting to play at the top of his game again.

"You could see signs of that in spells of games that we've had and that was his most consistent performance for us since he came back. There's no doubt he sets a high standard himself in terms of his performance "Hopefully, he can continue that now for the rest of our games this season."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2493293.0.0.php

Ferguson and Mendes probably can't play together.

So far this year, Mendes has looked better alongside Thomson and Barry has now looked better alongside Edu.

I've said before that I don't think you can have two 'ball-players'.

You need a 'creative destroyer' in there alongside either Mendes or Ferguson.

I'm a great believer in the old adage that good players can play together but I'm not seeing much evidence of it with Barry and Pedro. Both good players but far too similiar in that they both want to be the main man in midfield.

I'm a great believer in the old adage that good players can play together but I'm not seeing much evidence of it with Barry and Pedro. Both good players but far too similiar in that they both want to be the main man in midfield.

There's so many examples of two similar players not being able to play together.

I'm like you - an idealist who wishes that wasn't the case, but the evidence to suggest that two players of the same ilk aren't compatible is overwhelming.

One solid game from the whole season and Walter's heaping praise on him. :rolleyes:

Ill be praising him if he keeps producing the goods until the end of the season, but he doesnt merit such praise on the back of one good performance.

Thought Fergie played well on Sat but would stop short at saying he was playing at the top of his game. I look to games before he left for Blackburn, his first old firm game back and his performance against Villarreal as being Ferguson at the top of his game

Take the 4-2 game at parkhead - thomson doing the dirty work with mendes creating....

I would love to meet the person who has told captain barry that he is an attacking midfielder - young barry was an inspiration in the holding / sitting midfield with tugay / reyna/albertz/von bronkhorst in front of him those years ago ..... he cant shoot, dribble or has great pace - he is a sitting midfileder

God how many times have we seen it years going by with him running all the way back to take the ball of the toes of the centre backs

One decent game and all of a sudden 'he has been playing exceptionally well in the last period and he played well on Saturday - he is starting to play at the top of his game again'

Come on now Wally, you are kidding yourself. Even Barry knows that he's not been playing well, his brother has been saying that there is something not right with him but hopefully his goal can lift him.