80,s crowd lies

minstral

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from a Thread last night where one of our members said that in the eighties some of our crowds never reached 5,000.I have never seen a 5000 crowd at ibrox In the eighties, only time was in the league cup in 1982-83 against kilmarnock, which was over 2 legs and we won the first leg 6-1 and the crowd for the second leg was 5,342. It was the tims who started spreading those lies and some people think its true.

i said we were lucky if we had 5,000 in the eighties as i remember.

it was an off the cuff remark and i can assure you i am not a liar pal

i have no idea what the exact crowds were all i can remember was ibrox had a hell of a lot of empty seats in it

sorry if you think i called you a liar, but i did not say that in my post, so how you have come to that conclusion i dont know. :)

Guest Andypendek

I remember buying the Clydesdale Bank Review of Scottish Football in 1986 and it had a wee snippet mentioning how, although we finished 5th we had the highest average in the league. Wish I'd kept it, I always liked throwing that one up.

And btw, the atmosphere was absolutely shite until Souness came along. Then it got shite again after 2 seasons, and it's been shite ever since.

The papers probably said we had 15,000 this day.

I was in the enclosure and it was amazing......i had turned 16 about 4 or 5 weeks earlier...We finished 5th that season but would swap going to Ibrox and away back then with today anytime.

Attendance 37,599. :sherlock:

[quote name='Andypendek' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:44 PM' post='3191958'

And btw, the atmosphere was absolutely shite until Souness came along. Then it got shite again after 2 seasons, and it's been shite ever since.

You should've come and stood with the drunken Highlanders in the EE....always a good atmosphere. (tu)

I remember playing Morton 1 week and i was the only person in the stadium.

Bet the atmosphere was better than noo ! :sherlock:

I tried to grass on myself for having a half bottle, but there was no-one to tell.

I tried to grass on myself for having a half bottle, but there was no-one to tell.

now we have grasses all over the stadium that would get you thrown out or jailed.

now we have grasses all over the stadium that would get you thrown out or jailed.

Personal Shoppers a think they call thereselves noo ! :sherlock:

Guest Andypendek

I was a West Enclosure man myself. '<adopts hoarse voice> 'Chewin gum an yer macaroooooon bahhhhhs!'

But the place was empty, and the atmos was mince.

I remember buying the Clydesdale Bank Review of Scottish Football in 1986 and it had a wee snippet mentioning how, although we finished 5th we had the highest average in the league. Wish I'd kept it, I always liked throwing that one up.

Ypu must have sat in the Govan then :pipe:

Guest Andypendek

I've been in the Govan a whole 2 times in my life! Once, Glasgow Cup Final v tims, 3-2 McCoist hattrick, and last season v East Stirling. Lessee, that's 1986 then 2008. Good God, nearly 23 years since that Friday night. I can remember it clear as a bell.

I've been in the Govan a whole 2 times in my life! Once, Glasgow Cup Final v tims, 3-2 McCoist hattrick, and last season v East Stirling. Lessee, that's 1986 then 2008. Good God, nearly 23 years since that Friday night. I can remember it clear as a bell.

Twice only myself also!! In the Section Red with the Bad Boys against Hibs in 86 and Super Ally hatrick v Hearts April 87!! :praise:

i loved the sixties in among crowds in the cup finals with crowds of over 100,000 when you could sing what you wanted, and the ground would be bouncing.

I really miss those standing Hampden finals too!!

i loved the sixties in among crowds in the cup finals with crowds of over 100,000 when you could sing what you wanted, and the ground would be bouncing.

I really miss those standing Hampden finals too!!

Bet the SFA miss them even more with today's prices. The last 100,000 plus Final I reckon was the Centenary final in'73 when Big Tam scored from 30 yards. 122,714 ! :sherlock:

Following on from a Thread last night where one of our members said that in the eighties some of our crowds never reached 5,000.I have never seen a 5000 crowd at ibrox In the eighties, only time was in the league cup in 1982-83 against kilmarnock, which was over 2 legs and we won the first leg 6-1 and the crowd for the second leg was 5,342. It was the tims who started spreading those lies and some people think its true.

They other part of the lie is that they have always had 60,000 ... of course the truth is their ground used to be so quiet that foxes took short cuts through during matches :craphead:

What was it like in the 80s? Was there the same sort of uproar there is now when the team plays badly and just isn't good enough?

Or was it more or less accepted that the team was at that standard and wouldn't win many trophies? I guess it made every good performance and win all the more special if that was the case. :)

What was it like in the 80s? Was there the same sort of uproar there is now when the team plays badly and just isn't good enough?

Or was it more or less accepted that the team was at that standard and wouldn't win many trophies? I guess it made every good performance and win all the more special if that was the case. :)

It was never accepted.

We protested and fought for change...we got John Greig the sack and Jock Wallace to retire(although 2 great legends they had to go)

Although we did win cups during that period but failed in the league due to the standard of player we signed..like Dougie Bell and Dave Mitchell.

We sang through games and stuck 2 fingers up at anyone who complained....we travelled in our thousands away from home in death trap "football specials".that was old British rail trains that had no windaes or light bulbs.

We had a chairman who was a bluenose loyalist and players who knew what it was like to stand on the terraces and sing the Billy Boys and the Sash.

We fought Aberdeen casuals when they tried to take over,we stood wearing our Ulster flags and sang against the IRA

We were Loyalist,Protestant,Unionist and we let everyone know.

And i miss my youth in the 80's and i miss Rangers football club

It was never accepted.

We protested and fought for change...we got John Greig the sack and Jock Wallace to retire(although 2 great legends they had to go)

Although we did win cups during that period but failed in the league due to the standard of player we signed..like Dougie Bell and Dave Mitchell.

We sang through games and stuck 2 fingers up at anyone who complained....we travelled in our thousands away from home in death trap "football specials".that was old British rail trains that had no windaes or light bulbs.

We had a chairman who was a bluenose loyalist and players who knew what it was like to stand on the terraces and sing the Billy Boys and the Sash.

We fought Aberdeen casuals when they tried to take over,we stood wearing our Ulster flags and sang against the IRA

(tu):21::uk:

Amen.

(Andypendek @ Mar 11 2009, 12:03 AM) post_snapback.gifI've been in the Govan a whole 2 times in my life! Once, Glasgow Cup Final v tims, 3-2 McCoist hattrick, and last season v East Stirling. Lessee, that's 1986 then 2008. Good God, nearly 23 years since that Friday night. I can remember it clear as a bell.

Me too.... scrapping with a load of tims in Queen Street station, nearly missed my train. :21:

It was never accepted.

gaffbear those were they days and will never be forgotten. :uk: