80,s crowd lies

minstral

Following on from a Thread last night where one of our members said that in the eighties some of our crowds never reached 5,000.I have never seen a 5000 crowd at ibrox In the eighties, only time was in the league cup in 1982-83 against kilmarnock, which was over 2 legs and we won the first leg 6-1 and the crowd for the second leg was 5,342. It was the tims who started spreading those lies and some people think its true.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember we played Meadowbank in 84 in the league cup i think and we had 6,000 or so but we were still pulling in 40,000 against Aberdeen and 35,000 against Hearts and Dundee Utd.

Games against smaller clubs like Dundee,Killie,Motherwell were usually between 16,000 and 25,000 and considering we were 4th and 5th in the league i think we were doing ok.

Better days than now when we sang our hearts out and were Rangers loyalists

I remember we played Meadowbank in 84 in the league cup i think and we had 6,000 or so but we were still pulling in 40,000 against Aberdeen and 35,000 against Hearts and Dundee Utd.

Games against smaller clubs like Dundee,Killie,Motherwell were usually between 16,000 and 25,000 and considering we were 4th and 5th in the league i think we were doing ok.

so true Gaffbear and as you say the atmosphere was stiil top class. (tu)

Following on from a Thread last night where one of our members said that in the eighties some of our crowds never reached 5,000.I have never seen a 5000 crowd at ibrox In the eighties, only time was in the league cup in 1982-83 against kilmarnock, which was over 2 legs and we won the first leg 6-1 and the crowd for the second leg was 5,342. It was the tims who started spreading those lies and some people think its true.

I do remember some sparse nights though Minst , Against the Accies way back in those dark days was one which sticks in my mind , and some thing its bad now the performances they should have been at some of those afore mentioned games eh bud

I do remember some sparse nights though Minst , Against the Accies way back in those dark days was one which sticks in my mind , and some thing its bad now the performances they should have been at some of those afore mentioned games eh bud

so true Gaffbear and as you say the atmosphere was stiil top class. (tu)

A hell of a lot better than it is today mate

so fuckin true!!! (tu)

We came 5th in the 1985/86 season, with Celtic winning the league. We had bigger average crowds than they did that season.

Link? would love to see some comprehensive stats on attendances over the years etc...

Not sure it's on-line. I just remember doing the calculation many years ago, probably using the programmes for information.

hi Reddrock our crowds against the accies were fine in the eighties. we only played them 4 times in the league at home. That was 1986-87 we had crowds of 43,000 and 33,000.

and 1988-89 and the crowd was 33,000 and 35,000. (tu)

Was at a league game v Dundee around 84 -85 (not the Ally gtf game ,that was Scottish Cup)

Lost 3-2 (i think) and stadium was near deserted at the end. Papers next day were saying by the start of the 2nd half

there was only 4000 left ! But the attendance at the start of the game would have been round about 10000 .

Also remember a game v the sheep in 85 and was amazed at the massive crowd of 28 000 when it was announced!! We

were 2 0 up but they pegged it back to 2-2 . It was still considered a good result for us ,given the hot n cold form we had

then. Those were the days when the Copland and East enclosure sang their(my) hearts out for the team ,through

thick and thin!

Wondering how long before someone spoils this thread with a comment about dinosaurs/bigotted singing etc?

I loved being a season ticket holder back in those days, made the NIAR years even more satisfying after putting up with some of it haha

The papers probably said we had 15,000 this day.

I was in the enclosure and it was amazing......i had turned 16 about 4 or 5 weeks earlier...We finished 5th that season but would swap going to Ibrox and away back then with today anytime.

We came 5th in the 1985/86 season, with Celtic winning the league. We had bigger average crowds than they did that season.

Link? would love to see some comprehensive stats on attendances over the years etc...

1985/86

Rangers home average = 24816

Timmy home average = 25386

Rangers away average = 18848

Timmy away average = 18233

Rangers total average = 21832

Timmy total average = 21809

:lol:

Unbelievably close but we came out on top....

1985/86

Thanks, mate.

I think that if you take account of their bigger stadium capacity for the OF games, we even have a bigger crowd for the home games as well.

i said we were lucky if we had 5,000 in the eighties as i remember.

it was an off the cuff remark and i can assure you i am not a liar pal

i have no idea what the exact crowds were all i can remember was ibrox had a hell of a lot of empty seats in it

Other than the Killie game you mention the lowest crowds i can find at Ibrox were in season 81/82(source McElroy's Complete Record book aka the rangers historian)

League game v St.Mirren May 82 6000

League Cup game v Brechin Oct 81 5000

I think on the odd occasion we had a poor crowd it was generally just below the 10,000 mark but no way was this a regular occurance.

1985/86

Thanks, mate.

I think that if you take account of their bigger stadium capacity for the OF games, we even have a bigger crowd for the home games as well.

Swings and roundabouts with that one though as they would claim that we get an advantage on away games with bigger crowds at theirs (tu)

Wondering how long before someone spoils this thread with a comment about dinosaurs/bigotted singing etc?

I loved being a season ticket holder back in those days, made the NIAR years even more satisfying after putting up with some of it haha

What a bunch of Dinosaurs !!! LOL - I also was there but you lot do remember with bluetinted glasses - there were shit games and atmospheres - just hard to remember them as we try to blank the poor and remember the good! Still a bit of increased passion at Ibrox would not go amiss!

i said we were lucky if we had 5,000 in the eighties as i remember.

it was an off the cuff remark and i can assure you i am not a liar pal

i have no idea what the exact crowds were all i can remember was ibrox had a hell of a lot of empty seats in it

I don't think Minstral was calling you a liar mate, he's calling the tims liars!

I went to virtually every home game between 1986 & 1990 and can hardly remember any game being anything less than virtually full. I remember when we beat Accies (or was it Morton) 7-0 in 87/88, and had trouble getting in...had to speak in a higher voice to get into the boys gate :lol:

Having said that, my first game at Ibrox was against Hibs in 83/84 & the crowd was 12,000 at best...we lost that one 3-1 I think. Bad times.