80,s crowd lies

minstral

We came 5th in the 1985/86 season, with Celtic winning the league. We had bigger average crowds than they did that season.

Link? would love to see some comprehensive stats on attendances over the years etc...

1985/86

Rangers home average = 24816

Timmy home average = 25386

Rangers away average = 18848

Timmy away average = 18233

Rangers total average = 21832

Timmy total average = 21809

:lol:

Unbelievably close but we came out on top....

Thanks, mate.

I think that if you take account of their bigger stadium capacity for the OF games, we even have a bigger crowd for the home games as well.

Swings and roundabouts with that one though as they would claim that we get an advantage on away games with bigger crowds at theirs (tu)

Not if we got the same allocation at Parkhead as they got at Ibrox. :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lowest Rangers crowd at Ibrox for a league match was on May 23, 1979, against Partick Thistle. The crowd was between 2,500 and 6,000, with different publications confirming different figures. Celtics was 4,956 against Dundee on April 24, 1984.

Rangers worst average attendance was 16,400, in the 1981-82 season. Celtics was 18, 390 in 1983-84.

http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive101.htm

The lowest Rangers crowd at Ibrox for a league match was on May 23, 1979, against Partick Thistle. The crowd was between 2,500 and 6,000, with different publications confirming different figures. Celtics was 4,956 against Dundee on April 24, 1984.

Rangers worst average attendance was 16,400, in the 1981-82 season. Celtics was 18, 390 in 1983-84.

The game against Thistle was the last of the season wasn't it?, just after the beggars beat us 4-2 to win the league..

the crowd was 6,087 for the partick game on may 23 1979. i was at the game and thought there was a bit more than the official crowd that was given.

The game against Thistle was the last of the season wasn't it?, just after the beggars beat us 4-2 to win the league..

no mate hibs was the last game away when we lost 2-1 and urquhart scored our goal. (tu)

Back in those days though - they counted ONLY supporters through the actual gate - nowadays we count all season ticket holders and ticket sales whether or not they attend! I think thats why the disparity in crowd figures getting reported - one counted actual attendence - the other 'virtual' attendance.

no mate hibs was the last game away when we lost 2-1 and urquhart scored our goal. (tu)

Christ minst, what a period that was. Losing at porkheid when we only needed a draw, 3 cup finals and a league game agin the HIVs, the thistle game in an eeriely empty Ibrox (iirc the Broomloan end was fenced off for redevelopment). On top of all them I also took in Scotland at Wembley and Wales away.

Cost me a job!

Christ minst, what a period that was. Losing at porkheid when we only needed a draw, 3 cup finals and a league game agin the HIVs, the thistle game in an eeriely empty Ibrox (iirc the Broomloan end was fenced off for redevelopment). On top of all them I also took in Scotland at Wembley and Wales away.

Cost me a job!

did you lose your job by going to the football manti. :D

I did, it was just bar work, no big deal....

manti you will mind when we played in the Tennent Caledonian Cup.

The Pre Season Tournament? Aye about 4/5 times in the late 70s? We usually managed to lose the feckin' thing :(

Even to fkn killie :anguish:

Is that the tourney we spotted Billy Urquart in Mint???..

I remember now when we played Hibs and then we had them in the cup final with 2 replays if i'm not mistaken..

(tu):D Don't tell yer Granny how to suck eggs ! :sherlock:

Is that the tourney we spotted Billy Urquart in Mint???..

Naw, Big Billy was spotted when he scored a few against Rangers in a 6-3 win against Caledonian FC at Telford Street in 1978. He was Greigs first signing. I think Andy Penman might have been playing that day too,but maybe not.

What was it like in the 80s? Was there the same sort of uproar there is now when the team plays badly and just isn't good enough?

Or was it more or less accepted that the team was at that standard and wouldn't win many trophies? I guess it made every good performance and win all the more special if that was the case. :)

It was never accepted.

We protested and fought for change...we got John Greig the sack and Jock Wallace to retire(although 2 great legends they had to go)

Although we did win cups during that period but failed in the league due to the standard of player we signed..like Dougie Bell and Dave Mitchell.

We sang through games and stuck 2 fingers up at anyone who complained....we travelled in our thousands away from home in death trap "football specials".that was old British rail trains that had no windaes or light bulbs.

We had a chairman who was a bluenose loyalist and players who knew what it was like to stand on the terraces and sing the Billy Boys and the Sash.

We fought Aberdeen casuals when they tried to take over,we stood wearing our Ulster flags and sang against the IRA

We were Loyalist,Protestant,Unionist and we let everyone know.

And i miss my youth in the 80's and i miss Rangers football club

Been away all day ,but heres my shameless bump for a damn fine post Gaff !! (tu):21:

Guest Andypendek

I remember the football specials...if they had no windows or light bulbs it was cause we had trashed them!

I could never tell my old Mum about the goings-on, but I did always look forward to my macaroni and chips at about 7 or 8 when I got in, and 'Game For A Laugh' on the telly. Or else 'Summertime Special' if it was, well, summer. I liked it better before I discovered bevvy, tbh.

And anyway, if there was protests they were usually silent ones, or in the form of an apathetic boycott - in other words, something had to change as the place was empty.

The Chairman when I started going was resident in Lake Tahoe, USA. You must be talking about someone else, Jack Gillespie maybe? I don't know if he ever rose above director.

You couldn't beat arriving back in Queen St. from Edinburgh away games ,and spilling onto the platform

to the roar of the Billy Boys. That mixed with the chaos of the station heaving with scum and sheep fans and the

alsations straining at the leash always got the old adrenalin going!!!

You couldn't beat arriving back in Queen St. from Edinburgh away games ,and spilling onto the platform

to the roar of the Billy Boys. That mixed with the chaos of the station heaving with scum and sheep fans and the

alsations straining at the leash always got the old adrenalin going!!!

It was the look on peoples faces as we fell off the train and that massive echo of the singing....polis everywhere,dogs barking and the coppers pushing the beggars or whoever was playing in the west that day back as we casually strolled through the station.

Superb memories.........i feel sorry for young supporters now who haven't experienced terracing,football specials and football being played by men..

Following on from a Thread last night where one of our members said that in the eighties some of our crowds never reached 5,000.I have never seen a 5000 crowd at ibrox In the eighties, only time was in the league cup in 1982-83 against kilmarnock, which was over 2 legs and we won the first leg 6-1 and the crowd for the second leg was 5,342. It was the tims who started spreading those lies and some people think its true.

The same tims would have us believe that their pathetic showings during our NIAR period were due to a "boycott". They can't help but tell lies, it's like breathing to them.

What was it like in the 80s? Was there the same sort of uproar there is now when the team plays badly and just isn't good enough?

Or was it more or less accepted that the team was at that standard and wouldn't win many trophies? I guess it made every good performance and win all the more special if that was the case. :)

It was never accepted.

We protested and fought for change...we got John Greig the sack and Jock Wallace to retire(although 2 great legends they had to go)

Although we did win cups during that period but failed in the league due to the standard of player we signed..like Dougie Bell and Dave Mitchell.

We sang through games and stuck 2 fingers up at anyone who complained....we travelled in our thousands away from home in death trap "football specials".that was old British rail trains that had no windaes or light bulbs.

We had a chairman who was a bluenose loyalist and players who knew what it was like to stand on the terraces and sing the Billy Boys and the Sash.

We fought Aberdeen casuals when they tried to take over,we stood wearing our Ulster flags and sang against the IRA

We were Loyalist,Protestant,Unionist and we let everyone know.

And i miss my youth in the 80's and i miss Rangers football club

Could not have put it better myself. :clap:

I remember the guy selling rolls on the train.......a god send when going to Pittodrie or dens.

remember his shout 30p each or 3 for a pound

took me ages to realise that by buying 3 i was getting done

same guy used to sell them in east enclosure as well