Reply From Ofcom on BBC 'hun' usage

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know but i presume so from your line of questioning.

Still it doesnt justify using a word that should be on the black list for the BBC in Scotland. There was no intelligence or grand purpose behind its use IMO

You haven't seen it then........ <cr>

So basically we should have a blacklist of words that should be banned from comedy shows , is this what you are saying....... :lol:

i havent, because i dont find it funny ;)

Thats amusing, and, this word isnt offensive, yet, previously you got very het up about a john wayne quote being completely racist, in your opinion. Slight double standards fella

Still it doesnt justify using a word that should be on the black list for the BBC in Scotland. There was no intelligence or grand purpose behind its use IMO

So basically we should have a blacklist of words that should be banned from comedy shows , is this what you are saying....... :lol:

i havent, because i dont find it funny ;)

Thats amusing, and, this word isnt offensive, yet, previously you got very het up about a john wayne quote being completely racist, in your opinion. Slight double standards fella

Context my dear boy, context....... ;)

Exactly. It's all about context, they're basically acknowledging Ramsay as a Rangers fan (which he is) and using the slang you would hear in any Glasgow pub by non bears (which you do), and therefore if your offended, and I mean genuinely offended, then you shouldn't venture out on the street. Keep this up and we're in real danger of out mopeing the mopes!!!

I used to remember when the average bear had a sense of humour now they're all 'pure dead offended' by everything.

wise up mate, theres a number of words that would not have been used - fenian being one among many others - and all im saying is "h*n" should be on that list.

wise up mate, theres a number of words that would not have been used - fenian being one among many others - and all im saying is "h*n" should be on that list.

Fenian is on a ban list from the BBC from all comedy shows....and you say to me to wise up....... :lol:

what are the many others ?

Received today

Dear Mr ********

Are you embarrassed about your surname?

hehe nope I just dont want you tracking me down and indecently assaulting me.

Dont pretend it wouldnt happen. :ph34r:

It would be a decent assault, dont worry.

Received today

Dear Mr ********

hehe your about as dangerous as a french soldier! :craphead:

Fenian is on a ban list from the BBC from all comedy shows....and you say to me to wise up....... :lol:

what are the many others ?

Fenian is used in BBC comedy shows? I find that hard to believe

Received today

Dear Mr ********

you'r on the low down these days wvb, whats wrong with you?

Busy man Jardy, especially as HighlandBear is unfit for work the now. Loads of things going on in my life, i've no had time to be my usual chirpy self. :pipe:

Received today

Dear Mr ********

hehe your about as dangerous as a french soldier! :craphead:

You look like a French letter.

Well done to the OP (and others) for complaining to Ofcom and the BBC.

If the BBC had broadcast the word 't******' or whatever in the same programme then I'm sure the response of Rangers fans would have been different. But, of course, this is most unlikely ever to happen.

We cannot afford to allow the word 'h**' to slip into mainstream use. The argument that Rab C. Nesbitt is a comedy programme is nonsensical - in my view, this makes the situation far worse.

Did BBC Scotland treat 'the famine is over, why don't you go home?' chant in such a light-hearted manner?

Did it view the Neil Lennon cartoon a few years back as a laugh?

Do you think police at the CIS Cup final are going to have a wee snigger should you start mouthing off about 'Fenians' or 't****'?

When discriminatory treatment by the authorities and the state broadcaster is so clear-cut, those who wish the best for Rangers have no option but to fight back.

The 'dignified silence' approach beloved of our Custodian and short-sighted fans has failed abysmally.

Incidentally, if Ofcom received 67 complaints, it is likely that the BBC received over 200, in which case HQ in London would be informed.

Are you seriosuly saying Celtic fans don't use it as a shorthand for protestant ? Why are the other "protestant" teams (like hearts) also called h*** but the lieks of dundee utd aren't ?

Of course it can be used in a sectarian manner, just in my opinion this time it wasn't...... the show was written by a protestant Rangers fan ffs.....

Since when has h** ever meant a Protestant?

Every other fan in Scotland, including Hearts fans refer to us as h***. Are they all big anti-Protestant bigots?

If the BBC had broadcast the word 't******' or whatever in the same programme then I'm sure the response of Rangers fans would have been different. But, of course, this is most unlikely ever to happen.

We cannot afford to allow the word 'h**' to slip into mainstream use. The argument that Rab C. Nesbitt is a comedy programme is nonsensical - in my view, this makes the situation far worse.

Did BBC Scotland treat 'the famine is over, why don't you go home?' chant in such a light-hearted manner?

Do you think police at the CIS Cup final are going to have a wee snigger should you start mouthing off about 'Fenians' or 't****'?

When discriminatory treatment by the authorities and the state broadcaster is so clear-cut, those who wish the best for Rangers have no option but to fight back.

The 'dignified silence' approach beloved of our Custodian and short-sighted fans has failed abysmally.

Incidentally, if Ofcom received 67 complaints, it is likely that the BBC received over 200, in which case HQ in London would be informed.

Slip into mainstream use? It's been in mainstream use for years.

Once more h** is not sectarian, or bigoted. If they called us DOB's then that would be a different story...

Are you seriosuly saying Celtic fans don't use it as a shorthand for protestant ? Why are the other "protestant" teams (like hearts) also called h*** but the lieks of dundee utd aren't ?

Of course it can be used in a sectarian manner, just in my opinion this time it wasn't...... the show was written by a protestant Rangers fan ffs.....

Since when has h** ever meant a Protestant?

Every other fan in Scotland, including Hearts fans refer to us as h***. Are they all big anti-Protestant bigots?

Slip into mainstream use? It's been in mainstream use for years.

Once more h** is not sectarian, or bigoted. If they called us DOB's then that would be a different story...

Why does the Celtic support refer to Hearts, Motherwell fans, etc., as 'h***'?

Why do some - at least - talk about 'h** schools'?

That fans of other clubs refer to Rangers supporters as 'h***' is evidence only of ignorance and a copycat mentality. Likewise, Rangers fans who stupidly call themselves this word are simply mimicking others and haven't a clue about the words origins and significance (more later).

Less than two decades ago it was commonplace for Rangers fans to refer to Celtic supporters as 'h***', although largely courtesy of Celtic fanzines in the 80s, the meaning of the word was turned around.

It is used as a sextarian insult in Northern Ireland, with graffiti 'Kill All h***' directed against Protestants and members of the security forces.

As for 'mainstream use', BBC Scotland outlawed 'h**' in its radio programmes some time back after complaints about Cowan and Cosgrove. Similarly, there was an apology by a Herald journalist for using the word. It is not now used in the mainstream media - thanks to Rangers fans who have devoted some time to complaining about it.

Now, regardless of the above, since WWI 'h**' has always been a highly derogatory term in the British - and particularly Scottish - vernacular. The Rangers support used to direct the chant 'Go Home Ya h***' at Celtic fans - not, you'll notice, 'Go Home Ya Tims'!

The modern-day equivalent of 'h**' would be 'scum' or 'trash'.

For several reasons, therefore, this word should not be tolerated by Rangers fans and BBC Scotland's stance is to be deplored.

I think it is rather pathetic that any one would be offended by that.

Is it not rather more 'pathetic' to live in a state which will arrest you for using the word 'Fenian' and try to get your club banned from Europe because of it?

The central issue here is the glaring double standard.

I really don't know why I'm fighting this, but it's a lot of crap.

Why does the Celtic support refer to Hearts, Motherwell fans, etc., as 'h***'?

I believe they call Hearts the mini-h***, the same way we call Hibs the mini-tims. I've never heard of Motherwell fans being called h***.

Why do some - at least - talk about 'h** schools'?

I'd be offended...if there was such a thing as a Protestant school.

That fans of other clubs refer to Rangers supporters as 'h***' is evidence only of ignorance and a copycat mentality. Likewise, Rangers fans who stupidly call themselves this word are simply mimicking others and haven't a clue about the words origins and significance (more later).

I'm not buying that. There is no evidence down the line of history of h*** ever meaning Protestant.

Less than two decades ago it was commonplace for Rangers fans to refer to Celtic supporters as 'h***', although largely courtesy of Celtic fanzines in the 80s, the meaning of the word was turned around.

So your admitting it doesn't mean Protestant...either that or you're saying we used to be the anti-Protestant bigots?

It is used as a sextarian insult in Northern Ireland, with graffiti 'Kill All h***' directed against Protestants and members of the security forces.

I believe the Republicans refer to the British army as "h***". Personally I'd put a bullet through everyone of their heads.

As for 'mainstream use', BBC Scotland outlawed 'h**' in its radio programmes some time back after complaints about Cowan and Cosgrove. Similarly, there was an apology by a Herald journalist for using the word. It is not now used in the mainstream media - thanks to Rangers fans who have devoted some time to complaining about it.

Maybe because it is a derogatory remark for Rangers fans, but not a sectarian one.

Now, regardless of the above, since WWI 'h**' has always been a highly derogatory term in the British - and particularly Scottish - vernacular. The Rangers support used to direct the chant 'Go Home Ya h***' at Celtic fans - not, you'll notice, 'Go Home Ya Tims'!

I've not argued it's not derogatory. I've said it doesn't mean Protestant.

The modern-day equivalent of 'h**' would be 'scum' or 'trash'.

For several reasons, therefore, this word should not be tolerated by Rangers fans and BBC Scotland's stance is to be deplored.

I never said we had tolorate it, I said it wasn't a derogatory term for a Protestant, just a Rangers fan.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for them about this, but the fact of the matter is complaining about something daft like this makes us out to be daft wee kids. Let them complain like daft wee kids about nothing stories. It's only in recent times the Rangers fans have jumped on this bandwagon. Let's jump off.