Double Standards in the Media

fanta1873

:angry: Am I the only person on this forum, who noticed the remarkable similarity in Steven Davis goal v Hamilton, (due to bad defending according to BBC) and Messi v Lyon ( a wonder goal according to Sky and the UK tabloids).

I think both were down to the forceful attacking play of the respective players and although Davis is no Messi, the quality of his goal(IMO) was a match for that of the Argentinian.

This highlights the double standards of reporting by pundits and the media at large. However the lack of mention in these forums is perhaps indicative that our members are scared of praising our better players too much, in fear of them being lured by bigger (cash richer) clubs.

I, for one, am worried that come the summer, Steven Davis will be heading back to England.

If indeed this transpires, I have no doubt that those who are good enough will also depart for pastures new.

I didn't see the Barca goal so can't really comment,but if he doesen't play in his bastard position then i'm sure he'll be off and i wouldn't blame him,while you are talking about it i noticed the BBC are such fannies they can't even spell his fucking name right,last night on sportscene when i watched the first 90 mins 'highlights' they had him spelt 'Davies' wankers.

how can u compare messi's goal with davis's?!! messi goal was against one of the best teams in europe and davis was against hamilton!! as papa said, stop being ridiculous!!

Messi's wondergoal was against a Lyon defence of Francois Clerc, Boumsong, Cris, Fabio Grosso and Hugo Lloris. And they actually tried to tackle him.

Davis' wondergoal was against Chris Swailes, Lyle and McLaughlin.

Go figure.

Well, you and Papa obviously don't watch what happens on the field.

If you analysed both goals you would see that the Lyon defenders did exactly the same as Hamilton's.

I am not comparing Davis with Messi - merely on the similarity of their goals. The point is that the pundits raved about Messi's because he's Messi. They talked down Davis's because he's Rangers.

If you analysed both goals you would see that the Lyon defenders did exactly the same as Hamilton's.

I am not comparing Davis with Messi - merely on the similarity of their goals. The point is that the pundits raved about Messi's because he's Messi. They talked down Davis's because he's Rangers.

No, having just watched both goals again I can categorically confirm that Lyon's players did NOT part like the Red Sea for Messi's goal.

Please don't preach to me about European football :anguish:

No, having just watched both goals again I can categorically confirm that Lyon's players did NOT part like the Red Sea for Messi's goal.

Please don't preach to me about European football :anguish:

what he said!! (tu)

:praise: Don't preach to you about European Football!!! - how condescending is that! :praise: Don't be so ridiculous!

You are obviously too anal to consider another opinion. But that's your problem - not mine!!

:praise: Don't preach to you about European Football!!! - how condescending is that! :praise: Don't be so ridiculous!

You are obviously too anal to consider another opinion. But that's your problem - not mine!!

I love the fact that you're telling ME not to be ridiculous when you're comparing a Steven Davis goal against 10 man Hamilton in the Scottish Cup to a Lionel Messi goal against Lyon in the last 16 of the Champions League.

:lol:

If you care to check my topic, you will find it relates to double standards in the Media. The rated Messi's goal as wonderful because he's Messi and Barcelona. The rated Davis's as pish because he's Rangers.

My opinion is that the defence in both cases was posted missing. And bad defending is bad defending at any level of competition. I thought even you guys might acknowledge that.

If you care to check my topic, you will find it relates to double standards in the Media. The rated Messi's goal as wonderful because he's Messi and Barcelona. The rated Davis's as pish because he's Rangers.

My opinion is that the defence in both cases was posted missing. And bad defending is bad defending at any level of competition. I thought even you guys might acknowledge that.

Messi's goal was wonderful, but he's that good that I've seen him do it 12 times this year. He done it again on Saturday and produced a similar goal the week before the Lyon game.

Three Hamilton players stood off Davis and let him waltz past them.

You should jump into the General Sports for a good Messi chat though :pipe:

The quality of a goal is made up of many factors:

Indiividual / Collective Skill

Flair

Quality of Opposition

Background circumstances e.g Pressure

Whilst SD's goal WAS cracking it didn't tick the top boxes so far as opposition and nackground is concerned.

Interesting point though !