McCoist tips Boyd to sink Celtic

from the BBC, some good bits in it really. McCoist and Gough making sense

Ally McCoist is backing Kris Boyd to end his Celtic jinx with a goal in this weekend's Old Firm derby.

Boyd, who has netted 30 times this season, has scored just once in 18 career appearances against Celtic.

But Ibrox assistant manager McCoist told the club website: "Kris is a man with a lot of confidence at the moment.

"When you look at the strikers and some of the things that are written in the stars for them, I really hope this is one of them."

Boyd has often been overlooked for Old Firm derbies but it would be a major surprise if the prolific forward was left out this time.

"His total against Celtic is just a statistic," added McCoist, who holds the all-time scoring record at Ibrox. "We all know Boydy can score against anybody.

"He has scored at international level and in European competitions as well as in domestic games so there is no doubting what he can do.

"Kris has had a terrific season and it was a wonderful achievement for him to reach 100 goals for the club recently.

"So early in his Rangers career, I hope it's the first hundred of many. You never know what could happen. I certainly wish him luck with that.

"People earn their luck and if Boydy were to get the winner this weekend against Celtic, nobody would be more pleased than me. And I include Kris in that."

Rangers trail Celtic by one point with just four games of the campaign remaining and McCoist knows how much is at stake at Ibrox on Saturday lunchtime.

"This is a massive game and it goes without saying that that's the case," he added. "It always is when the Old Firm meet.

"It's vitally important with regards to the destination of the title that we pick up points in this one.

"The derbies are always huge and it's difficult to rank them in any sort of order but this one is going to be about as vital as they come."

Meanwhile, Richard Gough, a former Ibrox team-mate of McCoist's, believes his old side must deny Celtic a fourth consecutive league title to stave off the prospect of a long-term spell in the doldrums.

Gough was part of a dominant Rangers team during their nine-in-a-row title campaigns in the 1980s and 1990s.

"We were a lot stronger than Celtic financially during those years and I remember they had a barren two or three years when they did not have the quality of players that Celtic should have had," he said.

"You hope that doesn't happen (in Celtic's favour) but it could well happen.

"If Celtic got stronger financially and Rangers couldn't afford to get the players that they need, it could be a problem.

"So it's probably a lot more important for Rangers to win the championship than Celtic.

"If they can get through to the Champions League outright then that takes a lot of pressure off them.

"It will also enable Walter Smith to get better players in for next season."

Gough thinks Rangers are good enough to win their remaining SPL games to take the title and also the Scottish Cup final against Falkirk at the end of May.

"I think Rangers will be very much up for the game," he added.

"I know Walter Smith so well and I know what he will be saying, 'Win five games and you have won the double'. It's as simple as that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/8037132.stm

Before anyone says, twas an article, hence its own thread, and, it does seem to be the main talking point about this game (tu)

Said in a different thread the other night, I think the generic thread has run its course :lol:

I've got a feeling Boyd will do us proud on Saturday.

about time we started appreciating boyd and using him in every game.

goals the same size no matter who you play.

always, always said boyd is the new ally waiting for a chance to prove it.

People had a good feeling about Boyd on the 27th December, and, that was after some good performances, and, he was scoring goals; everyone thought he had turned the corner, and, look at the shite performance he gave that day.

In the games Boyd has featured in against celtc, we have only scored in 1 of them!

People had a good feeling about Boyd on the 27th December, and, that was after some good performances, and, he was scoring goals; everyone thought he had turned the corner, and, look at the shite performance he gave that day.

In the games Boyd has featured in against celtc, we have only scored in 1 of them!

And the rest of the team? Thats where I take issue with the whole argument, pretty sure most if not all the players in that game, going by their performance, shouldnt be given the chance to play again.

And, since then, we havent scored... swings and roundabouts fella (tu)

IMO, Boyd is not suited to playing in these big games, he's just not good enough but if he starts on Saturday, hopefully he proves me wrong.

People are saying things along the same line about Ferguson, whilst im not saying he is the weakest link of it all, it would be interesting if Barry being out of the team would lead to a better (or scoring) performance from boyd :unsure:

People are saying things along the same line about Ferguson, whilst im not saying he is the weakest link of it all, it would be interesting if Barry being out of the team would lead to a better (or scoring) performance from boyd :unsure:

It seems to have so far

Hopefully he does the business but you have to wonder how many chances Boyd will get to prove himself at this level

See, thats another one that confuses me, since, is playing against Celtic a higher level than international or European, since he has done that, as indicated in the article

Hopefully he does the business but you have to wonder how many chances Boyd will get to prove himself at this level

See, thats another one that confuses me, since, is playing against Celtic a higher level than international or European, since he has done that, as indicated in the article

You could only ask him that, may not be a higher level in terms of skill/ability but maybe as a game it feels of more importance and pressure for him. We all know how much he'd love to score against them on Saturday and the reaction he would give to doing so. It may just take a couple of goals to ease that pressure he and others puts on himself.

You could only ask him that, may not be a higher level in terms of skill/ability but maybe as a game it feels of more importance and pressure for him. We all know how much he'd love to score against them on Saturday and the reaction he would give to doing so. It may just take a couple of goals to ease that pressure he and others puts on himself.

Thats interesting, not sure anyone has addressed that option before, its generally just "he isnt good enough", but, this makes a lot of sense. Not sure why anyone, myself included, never questioned that before

:clap:

I'm not suggesting he will score or he should start because I have a "good feeling". I'm saying I am confident that if he does start he will prove he can do it against them.

He's not just been scoring goals. For me, he has been playing well.

IMO, Boyd is not suited to playing in these big games, he's just not good enough but if he starts on Saturday, hopefully he proves me wrong.

You sound like a man who only judges a player on his performances against Celtic. Perhaps that is how it is for some.

He scored the goals that won us at least 3 cups, scored at International level (before he quit) and has made a huge contribution to our season so far, but for some they are blinkered in their view by what happens against Celtic.

Simple fact - Boyd does not deserve to get dropped, Without his goals (toe-pokes, deflections off his backside, Whatever !!), The league would be long gone & Timmy would already be gloating because we have nobody else (individually or collectively) who would have got us the goals Boyd has !! He has vastly improved his work rate & is TRYING to be more of a team player. Come on KRIS !!! :21: