Barry Ferguson in talks with Birmingham

ALEX McLEISH will decide this week whether to launch an official bid for Barry Ferguson - or take one of the biggest risks of his career by signing bad boy Joey Barton instead.

The Birmingham City boss will begin his preparations for his first crack at the Premiership tomorrow when his squad returns for the first day of pre-season training.

And McLeish also plans to pick through his list of summer transfer targets with his St Andrews bosses before sanctioning a move for either deposed Rangers skipper Ferguson or Newcastle's notorious troublemaker Barton.

Both players are hoping to be thrown a career lifeline by the former Scotland boss but, although McLeish has already sounded out Ferguson and spoken to Ibrox boss Walter Smith about his proposed £1.5million swoop, Rangers are still waiting for a cast-iron offer to be tabled.

McLeish's interest in rescuing Barton from the fringes of Newcastle's Championship squad does appear to have, temporarily at least, thrown a spanner in the works of Ferguson's plan to escape from an equally uncertain future under Smith.

A source close to the deal said: "Rangers have been waiting for Alex to make an offer but it's all gone very quiet over the last week or so.

"Obviously, he has some big decisions to make but he will sit down with some key people at Birmingham later this week before finally making his mind up.

"Alex wants to make sure he's doing the right thing but he has a lot to consider first."

If the Birmingham deal for Ferguson does fall through, West Brom are set to table a bid.

Tony Mowbray. was keen on taking Ferguson to the Championship side but his pursuit of a £ 1m deal was put on hold when Celtic lured him to Parkhead.

However, sources at The Hawthorns claim Ferguson is back on the radar as new boss Roberto di Matteo bids to strengthen his squad for a speedy return to the Premiership .

Charlie Adam is another Ibrox star who will almost certainly be plying his trade down south next season.

Blackpool have tabled a £500,000 offer for the midfielder which has been accepted by Rangers but Preston are still in the frame and may yet hijack the Seasiders' move.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Barry Ferguson's potential move to Birmingham City is in doubt - after Alex McLeish was linked with Newcastle star Joey Barton.

Big Eck is weighing up whether to try and land the notorious bad boy to boost his side's Barclays Premier League survival bid or make a move for Ferguson.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...harlie_adam.php

Think your in the wrong thread mate..... <cr>

Meanwhile, Barry Ferguson's potential move to Birmingham City is in doubt - after Alex McLeish was linked with Newcastle star Joey Barton.

Big Eck is weighing up whether to try and land the notorious bad boy to boost his side's Barclays Premier League survival bid or make a move for Ferguson.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...harlie_adam.php

Think your in the wrong thread mate..... <cr>

The story on Ferguson and Adam is in that link (tu)

I see McLeish has just signed Lee Bowyer. Can't see Ferguson going there now, especially since they are also linked with a few other CM's.

I too think he will head to west brom.... fergie was good in the premiership but he will be the first to admit that was 5 years ago and the legs,knee and ankle are not the same...championship will be a good level for him and west brom will want to fire right back up to the premiership and lets face it surely he can live down there after the blackburn fiasco

Surely he'll play it safe and go for Fergie?

Is that really the safer option?

he knows what hes getting

What, a 31 year old, over the hill, injury prone, unfit, footballer, who can't stand out in one of the worst leagues in the world, and has not kicked a ball consistantly in over 2 years.

Ferguson will get absolutely shown up in the Premiership, he's finished.

Skysports.com understands Inter Milan midfielder Patrick Vieira met with Birmingham City officials on Wednesday.

Premier League club Birmingham have made no secret of their interest in the France international and chairman David Gold recently stated a deal "is not dead".

The Blues also face competition for the former Arsenal player's signature from a number of Ligue 1 sides, with Paris St Germain among those mooted as suitors.

It is believed a two-year contract at St Andrews could be on the table for Vieira, who is keen to secure first-team football ahead of the 2010 World Cup.

He told skysports.com: "I have a year left on my contract with Inter.

"I want to play week-in week-out to prepare well for the World Cup in South Africa.

"I will definitely know about my future very soon."

Inter milan midfielder Patrick Vieira has denied reports that he could join Birmingham City.

The 33-year-old former Arsenal man was said to be in discussions with the Premier League newcomers this week, but he says he wants to hold talks with Inter before making any decisions.

"They say I've had contact with Birmingham City but, with all due respect for that club, this is not the case," he told L'Equipe.

"What is certain is that I will get back with Inter and that I will take a look at my future with the bosses."

Meanwhile, Lyon advisor Bernard Lacombe has suggested the club could make a move for the France star.

"We could be attracted by Viera," he said in France Football.

"However, with the departures of Juninho, Karim Benzema and Keita, we have other priorities at this point."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5423809,00.html

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish is determined to sign a 'real quality midfielder' before the start of the new season.

Rangers' Barry Ferguson, Inter Milan's Patrick Vieira and Newcastle's Joey Barton are among the players to be linked with Birmingham, but McLeish did not wish to be drawn on his targets.

He added: "I never speak about any players as it's not fair to talk about other teams' players and it's not fair to Birmingham fans to start talking about speculation.

"The only time I will say anything official is when we've got a player across the line."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_5421580,00.html

Barry Ferguson has agreed to take a wage cut at Rangers.

He is not interested in a move to Birmingham and will likely see out the last year of his contract at Rangers.

After the year is up, he may retire as he does not "Need" to go to another club.

Futhermore, Alex McLeish, Andy Watson and Barry Ferguson are not great friends.

Barry Ferguson has agreed to take a wage cut at Rangers.

He is not interested in a move to Birmingham and will likely see out the last year of his contract at Rangers.

After the year is up, he may retire as he does not "Need" to go to another club.

Futhermore, Alex McLeish, Andy Watson and Barry Ferguson are not great friends.

And you heard this where/from who?

i thinkBarry Ferguson has agreed to take a wage cut at Rangers.

i thinkHe is not interested in a move to Birmingham and will likely see out the last year of his contract at Rangers.

After the year is up, i thinkhe may retire as he does not "Need" to go to another club.

Futhermore, i thinkAlex McLeish, Andy Watson and Barry Ferguson are not great friends.

fyp