Black and Red

rab wilson

Ok ,so i don't pronounce myself a Rangers historian,but can someone tell me the real story regarding the black and red socks.My old man said they were a tribute to the Glasgow shipbuilding industry(the funnels on the ships were mostly black with red tops). Is this true?If so,we should reinstate them as quick as possible,anyway they look dead gallous i think.And don't dare anybody call my dad an idiot either,as i've seen several reasons for the socks,just would like to think this was the real one.

Ok ,so i don't pronounce myself a Rangers historian,but can someone tell me the real story regarding the black and red socks.My old man said they were a tribute to the Glasgow shipbuilding industry(the funnels on the ships were mostly black with red tops). Is this true?If so,we should reinstate them as quick as possible,anyway they look dead gallous i think.And don't dare anybody call my dad an idiot either,as i've seen several reasons for the socks,just would like to think this was the real one.

That is the reason I believed they were used, just don't believe the Timmish version of events.

That is the reason I believed they were used, just don't believe the Timmish version of events.

(tu) That's what I was told as a nipper.....haven't been told of a better reason yet!

This is a good question. One which I would like to hear a definitive answer to also. I have never heard the explanation of the ships funnel before and it certainally sounds quite feasible. The only other explanation which I have heard is the sectarian one. So it would be nice to hear that the ship building explanation is true

There are various theories. I have heard it claimed that they represented Scottish/British battlefields (blood and earth), perhaps of WWI. Certainly the sectarian theory is nonsensical.

There's probably some simple explanation like we just liked them or we borrowed a set of socks off another team at some point.

I would like to see them used too.

I still like the old Rangers strips from the 50's and early 60's with the white collars too.

JMO.

Not being dated here but it's time the blue jersey with the white V neck, white shorts and the black and red socks were made the established strip, put the badge on the chest and shorts, not only would it make them look like Rangers football players it would also intimidate other teams. And whatever the origination of the red and black socks tell the tims it's about that old folk song that has the words 'surrender or you'll die' in it. Keep these paranoid scum noised up.

I would like to see them used too.

I still like the old Rangers strips from the 50's and early 60's with the white collars too.

JMO.

Not being dated here but it's time the blue jersey with the white V neck, white shorts and the black and red socks were made the established strip, put the badge on the chest and shorts, not only would it make them look like Rangers football players it would also intimidate other teams. And whatever the origination of the red and black socks tell the tims it's about that old folk song that has the words 'surrender or you'll die' in it. Keep these paranoid scum noised up.

They don't need any encouragement to spread their anti-Rangers propaganda.

For the life of me how can wearing the old traditional socks be in anyway sectarian? Makes NO sense. Explain please.

As a previous reply said they don't need any encouragement to spread their anti Rangers propaganda, their hate of us knows no bounds. They hate us more than they luv the grey and green hoops. We need a PR team with the balls to to combat them !

Do we know what date they were first used? Perhaps if we knew that it may give a clue to why they were adopted? The only thing of course about the Cunard explanation is that the socks would actually be an inverted funnel, which may not be the best message to be sending out :Animation44:

Having been a 'Gers fan for over 65 years,I have always understood that the reason for Red Tops on our socks was to complete our club colours - Red,White and Blue.There was nothing sectarian about it.

For the life of me how can wearing the old traditional socks be in anyway sectarian? Makes NO sense. Explain please.

The ludicrous suggestion I once heard was that the socks symbolised the songline "up to our knees in...........". Utter pish eh?

The ludicrous suggestion I once heard was that the socks symbolised the songline "up to our knees in...........". Utter pish eh?

Yep! :lol:

Having been a 'Gers fan for over 65 years,I have always understood that the reason for Red Tops on our socks was to complete our club colours - Red,White and Blue.There was nothing sectarian about it.

A SINCERE welcome friend and THATS what I had heard and makes the most sense of all.

I too am an oldie having followed them since '54/55.

You can join our 'Oldie" club!

(tu)

A SINCERE welcome friend and THATS what I had heard and makes the most sense of all.

(tu)

Got to be honest that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why the black if that's the case?

I was always led to believe it was because red and black are the colours of the burgh of Govan.

Guest orangpendek

lets go the whole hog and make the players douse their heads with brylcreem, smoke players on the way to the match (on a bus, naturally) and work down t'pit before commencing a career with the bears, on a salary of sixpence ha'penny.

(tu)

Got to be honest that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why the black if that's the case?

I was always led to believe it was because red and black are the colours of the burgh of Govan.

Sorry for not getting back quicker - I understand that at the time when the red and black socks were introduced there was at least one other club in the 1st Division who wore all red socks