Michael Owen sends out brochure to advertise himself to clubs

Boab

By ROB BEASLEY, 13/06/2009

MICHAEL OWEN has sent a glossy 34- page brochure about HIMSELF to eight Premier League clubs in a desperate attempt to find a new team for next season.

It is believed to be the first time in Premier League history that a player has produced his own prospectus to prompt a transfer.

The one-time golden boy of English football and former European Footballer of the Year has been reduced to hawking himself around after suffering the ignominy of relegation with Newcastle.

The brochure - circulated by Owen's management company Wasserman Media Group - has been sent to eight top-flight clubs, including Aston Villa, Everton, Portsmouth and West Ham.

In it, WMG boast about the benefits of signing the ex-England striker, his clean-cut image, commercial value and goalscoring prowess and include a medical report.

The brochure rivals any produced by top-end estate agents to advertise multi-million mansions.

Just imagine, folks - For Sale: A magnificent, luxury two-legged footballer, set on a picturesque plot in the North East of England.

Backs on to racecourse (at every opportunity). High maintenance, but must be seen to be appreciated. £80,000 per week, or nearest offer, subject to contract.

But WMG have dropped a brick in trying to allay fears about the 29-year-old's injury-prone record.

The sales details state Owen, who signed for Newcastle in a £16m move from Real Madrid four years ago, has appeared in 77 per cent of the Toon's games in the last two years.

But that's a bit of a sales clanger considering Mike Ashley's Magpies have suffered the shame of dropping out of the Premier League despite Owen's involvement.

Sam Rush, WMG's chief operating officer, explained the brochure, saying: "Although there's been interest from abroad, Michael told us he'd prefer to stay in the Prem.

"So after the season ended, we prepared a document showing all the information an interested club would require and this was circulated to a select group.

"We have provided a complete analysis of every Newcastle first-team game in the previous two years, knowing that Michael had appeared in 77 per cent of them.

"We also included a medical report and answers to frequently-asked questions, as well as a review of his commercial benefits and international name awareness.

"Our aim is to ensure Michael secures the most appropriate career move before the end of the transfer window."

Owen's current four-year £105,000-a-week Toon deal ends at the end of this month, so he would be available to any prospective buyer on a free. Everton, Villa, Tottenham and Manchester City are the leading contenders ready to offer Owen a fresh start.

But he has been dogged by hamstring and groin problems since he left Liverpool five years ago and has started just 58 league matches for Newcastle.

He was ruled out for five months after breaking his metatarsal in December 2005; then in June 2006 he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the World Cup and his knee was rebuilt by world-famous surgeon Dr Richard Steadman.

Horse-lover Owen makes no secret of the fact he wants to become a trainer and owner at his Cheshire stables when he hangs up his boots.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3595...ut-HIMSELF.html

By ROB BEASLEY, 13/06/2009

MICHAEL OWEN has sent a glossy 34- page brochure about HIMSELF to eight Premier League clubs in a desperate attempt to find a new team for next season.

It is believed to be the first time in Premier League history that a player has produced his own prospectus to prompt a transfer.

The one-time golden boy of English football and former European Footballer of the Year has been reduced to hawking himself around after suffering the ignominy of relegation with Newcastle.

The brochure - circulated by Owen's management company Wasserman Media Group - has been sent to eight top-flight clubs, including Aston Villa, Everton, Portsmouth and West Ham.

In it, WMG boast about the benefits of signing the ex-England striker, his clean-cut image, commercial value and goalscoring prowess and include a medical report.

The brochure rivals any produced by top-end estate agents to advertise multi-million mansions.

Just imagine, folks - For Sale: A magnificent, luxury two-legged footballer, set on a picturesque plot in the North East of England.

Backs on to racecourse (at every opportunity). High maintenance, but must be seen to be appreciated. £80,000 per week, or nearest offer, subject to contract.

But WMG have dropped a brick in trying to allay fears about the 29-year-old's injury-prone record.

The sales details state Owen, who signed for Newcastle in a £16m move from Real Madrid four years ago, has appeared in 77 per cent of the Toon's games in the last two years.

But that's a bit of a sales clanger considering Mike Ashley's Magpies have suffered the shame of dropping out of the Premier League despite Owen's involvement.

Sam Rush, WMG's chief operating officer, explained the brochure, saying: "Although there's been interest from abroad, Michael told us he'd prefer to stay in the Prem.

"So after the season ended, we prepared a document showing all the information an interested club would require and this was circulated to a select group.

"We have provided a complete analysis of every Newcastle first-team game in the previous two years, knowing that Michael had appeared in 77 per cent of them.

"We also included a medical report and answers to frequently-asked questions, as well as a review of his commercial benefits and international name awareness.

"Our aim is to ensure Michael secures the most appropriate career move before the end of the transfer window."

Owen's current four-year £105,000-a-week Toon deal ends at the end of this month, so he would be available to any prospective buyer on a free. Everton, Villa, Tottenham and Manchester City are the leading contenders ready to offer Owen a fresh start.

But he has been dogged by hamstring and groin problems since he left Liverpool five years ago and has started just 58 league matches for Newcastle.

He was ruled out for five months after breaking his metatarsal in December 2005; then in June 2006 he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the World Cup and his knee was rebuilt by world-famous surgeon Dr Richard Steadman.

Horse-lover Owen makes no secret of the fact he wants to become a trainer and owner at his Cheshire stables when he hangs up his boots.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3595...ut-HIMSELF.html

:lol: goodluck on your new team owen

I wish I was as much of a loser as Michael Owen. 110,000 a week, a multi millionaire, played footy all over the world. He really must envy me on 400 a week.

Exactly, how is it sad? quality player in his time, well paid, fairly successful, 29 is not the prime age for a striker, he won't be complaining, as a footballer you are a bit of a commodity, one player can be £80 mil another can be Bosman free, getting to play football for 15-20 years as a pro is a bonus, the rest of us have to work for a living, meanwhile your schools have no ink or text books, your streets are full of holes, while we pay out free methodone and working people can't even find a dentist.

It is not sad one bit.

I wish I was as much of a loser as Michael Owen. 110,000 a week, a multi millionaire, played footy all over the world. He really must envy me on 400 a week.

Exactly, how is it sad? quality player in his time, well paid, fairly successful, 29 is not the prime age for a striker, he won't be complaining, as a footballer you are a bit of a commodity, one player can be £80 mil another can be Bosman free, getting to play football for 15-20 years as a pro is a bonus, the rest of us have to work for a living, meanwhile your schools have no ink or text books, your streets are full of holes, while we pay out free methodone and working people can't even find a dentist.

It is not sad one bit.

theres schools in the UK that have no ink or text books? :O

It is not sad one bit.

theres schools in the UK that have no ink or text books? :O

No ink in the printers for half the year and the state of the text books is shocking, enough quality for the top sets and the credit classes maybe but if the school is pretty big then maybe only a few 'sets' of decent quality.

how embarassing. There was a time when he would have been the hottest bosman going, now most teams wouldnt even take him on a free. Hes lost the pace that was one of his biggest assets and who knows how long he will be able to play before hes injured again. Pay as you play deal would be the only thing i would want to offer him if i was a manager.

Some club will jump at Owen. A player does not lose his positional sense, and the strikers instinct, which, despite a slower pace, is still there. He is injury prone, but when fit, knows where the back of the net is.

It shows just how different the rules are when it's football.

In the 'real world' we all send our CV's around different companies hoping for an vacancy and opportunity.

When a footballer does it, 'normal' people call him a loser.

That's amazing.

In the 'real world' we all send our CV's around different companies hoping for an vacancy and opportunity.

That's amazing.

If your job was televised and every minute of it available for viewing by your future employer there wouldn't be much need for a CV really. Especially in a proffesion that is almost entirely based on performance that can be analysed visually.

The only thing I can think that may require a CV is reccomendations from previous managers about training, behaviour and profesionalism.

That's amazing.

If your job was televised and every minute of it available for viewing by your future employer there wouldn't be much need for a CV really. Especially in a proffesion that is almost entirely based on performance that can be analysed visually.

The only thing I can think that may require a CV is reccomendations from previous managers about training, behaviour and profesionalism.

95% of a footballer's life isn't in front of the camera at all m8.

That's amazing.

True, but a players CV isn't gonna include stuff like "I like a bevvy on a saturday night" or "I have a history of sleeping with others players wives" or anything that managers would actually want to know about a player away from football.

What does this CV include? I would Imagine stuff like scoring records, personal accolades, praise from other managers etc. and not stuff like injury history, wage demands etc.

Putting it to you this way, if you were a manager mate, what would you want to know about a player that you couldnt see from old game footage, chats with previous managers, and statistics? That the player is actually likely to include in his CV?

That's amazing.

True, but a players CV isn't gonna include stuff like "I like a bevvy on a saturday night" or "I have a history of sleeping with others players wives" or anything that managers would actually want to know about a player away from football.

What does this CV include? I would Imagine stuff like scoring records, personal accolades, praise from other managers etc. and not stuff like injury history, wage demands etc.

Putting it to you this way, if you were a manager mate, what would you want to know about a player that you couldnt see from old game footage, chats with previous managers, and statistics? That the player is actually likely to include in his CV?

I'd actually think you've excluded the most important parts - how good a team mate he is, his punctuality at training, his relationship with his manager, his presence in the dressing room. All the important behind the scenes stuff.

All these elements are things which the fans and new managers aren't privvy to.

That's amazing.

I'd actually think you've excluded the most important parts - how good a team mate he is, his punctuality at training, his relationship with his manager, his presence in the dressing room. All the important behind the scenes stuff.

All these elements are things which the fans and new managers aren't privvy to.

Of course, by my point is that he isn't going to include that stuff in a CV if it's negative. Like if he was continually late for training, that's not going to be something he's going tom mention, and if a manager really wanted to know he'd just phone up his previous bosses and ask (as he would probably do even if a quote was attributed to a previous boss, just to make sure.)

I get your point about a CV in football part of it like it is in any job, but proffesional sport isn't really like any other jobs in the world. I'll agree to disagree as I feel I'm dragging this thread on further than it shoulda gone, I accpet your points!

I get your point about a CV in football part of it like it is in any job, but proffesional sport isn't really like any other jobs in the world.

That, my chum, is exactly the point I made in the first place ;)

I'll agree to disagree as I feel I'm dragging this thread on further than it shoulda gone, I accpet your points!

Ah it was fun :)