Amoruso take a chance on me

Take a chance on me

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 16 Jun 2009

rigTeaserImage

HE watched Ally McCoist fume with frustration in the Hampden technical area.

He also saw St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson overwhelmed with disappointment at Scottish Cup semi-final heartache.

Those were the emotion-filled moments which convinced Rangers legend Lorenzo Amoruso he MUST move into coaching.

Amo was a Sky pundit as Gers beat MacPherson's Buddies to reach the Scottish Cup Final.

He knows he could land a cushy TV job in Italy or Scotland when he hangs up his boots this summer.

But he's in talks with Serie C minnows AC Arezzo as he looks to get a foothold on the managerial ladder.

Amoruso told SunSport: "I have been looking to go into management for quite a while now.

"The hardest part is actually getting that first job, but hopefully it will happen for me.

"I have a great passion for football. Some players don't want to stay in the game. But others, like me, want to go into management and I hope to get a chance this summer.

"I have worked with some great managers and, of course, had nine great years at Rangers.

"I spoke to Walter Smith when I came back to cover the Scottish Cup semi-final recently.

"I also watched Ally do all the TV interviews and coach the boys from the touchline.

"It was good to get their views and their experiences. I also asked them about different ideas.

"Now I want to get the chance to try some of my own ideas. I hope it can happen for me."

Amoruso, 37, has emerged as the front-runner to take charge at Tuscan outfit Arezzo.

He believes the club, which lost out in promotion play-offs to reach Serie B, match his own ambitions.

And he resisted the lure of applying for any SPL vacancies to chase a job closer to home.

He added: "I know the mentality of the players in Scotland and I know the way they play.

"When you are ready to manage, I suppose you can manage anywhere.

"Maybe one day I can come back and manage Rangers. It would be a fantastic achievement to manage a team I've played for.

"But for now, I will finish studying for my coaching badges and try to get a job.

"All the details have still to be sorted out, but I am hopeful it can happen.

"It's not always easy to get a team when you are looking to go into management.

Advertisement

"But I have great plans. I know how I'll prepare the players and I know how to do the right things on the pitch.

"Hopefully, I'll have a bit of luck and somebody will give me the chance to put these plans into practice.

"Arezzo are in Serie C and they lost the play-off to go up just a few days ago.

"But they have a good chance to go up to Serie B next season and I'd like to be involved.

"The chairman is an ambitious man and I am sure it can go right for him next season."

Arezzo have ditched coach Marco Cari after a 4-0 play-off mauling to Crotone.

And Amo could even be appointed this week as he looks to begin the latest chapter in a colourful career.

Nine years?

Exactly what i thought 97 to 03 is 6 years. Hope the big man does well. Didn't realise how good he was until he left us

Think a bit of the old revisionism creeps in with big Amo. Undoubtedly a great Ranger, but he could be a fucking bombscare at the best of times.

Good luck to Big Amo in his Coaching.Management days.

Say what you like about him but he gave us all memories - fond and fud.

Remember when he cleared the stadium against a wee team (Ayr?) in the Scottish Cup with a freekick?

He was an awesome leader and loved the club. He saved us on many occassions and gave 'Only an Excuse' some great material.

Best of luck big yin :)