Murray Park prospects

Ted E Bayer

Interesting to read how it works. If it is essentially to ring fence the youth set up and ensure we get more cash back into bringing up youth, then I'm all in favour.

On the downside, WS made clear last week that we are still a very long way from having a real youth set up in place, rather than an expensive training facility. I'd love to think the new management team can get our youth system to perform and hopefully we can see some real talent emerge.

I had a conversation with an ex player who was a youth coach at Rangers some years ago when the spl were bringing in the ill fated under 21 league.

He maintained it would be a waste of time and would not last as " if a player has not shown he could play in the first team by the time he was 18 or 19 he wil not play much of a part at Ibrox and will be moved on" The one he tipped at the time to make it was Boyack!

Look at the young players who have left the club in the last year and you will see this is still the case: central defenders McKenzie and McLean, Midfielders McCormack, N'Guession, Gilmour, forwards Carcary, Davidson, going back a couple of years there were Duffy and McLean who scored loads in the reserves.

There is little chance for youngsters to progress, whether it is due to the set up, scouting, selection of talent or just the fact that we want immediate success and are not prepared to gamble on youth.

Very very good point, particularly the last 2 paragraphs! (tu)

I had a conversation with an ex player who was a youth coach at Rangers some years ago when the spl were bringing in the ill fated under 21 league.

He maintained it would be a waste of time and would not last as " if a player has not shown he could play in the first team by the time he was 18 or 19 he wil not play much of a part at Ibrox and will be moved on" The one he tipped at the time to make it was Boyack!

Look at the young players who have left the club in the last year and you will see this is still the case: central defenders McKenzie and McLean, Midfielders McCormack, N'Guession, Gilmour, forwards Carcary, Davidson, going back a couple of years there were Duffy and McLean who scored loads in the reserves.

There is little chance for youngsters to progress, whether it is due to the set up, scouting, selection of talent or just the fact that we want immediate success and are not prepared to gamble on youth.

Agreed that all those players have left the club after not really getting much of a chance in the 1st team, but exactly where are they now? most went to the English lower leagues and are hardly "lighting the heather" are they?

Dont hold your breath that Murray Park will produce young talent coming through. Rangers FC have a poor history of producing there own.

Its all down to the coaching staff to nurture the kids through. Walter came out recently and said that he brought through young guys kids like Spencer, McSwegan, morrow, Hagan and murray, but at that time we had the U/18 captains of England, Scotland and various other international represented youths...none of them ever made it. I was there at that stage and although I admit I was not good enough to play in front of Coisty, Hately Johnstone and co, the coaching set up for the kids was nothing short of shocking. The system took a hit the minute Jimmy Nichol left. John Mcgregor and Davie Dodds were left in charge of the young guys coming through and all they ever did was abuse kids and play 5 a sides. Diets and overall football education, professional expectations etc was never on the agenda...ever. I remember a certain coach say to a player in the dressing room at half time of a BP youth team game against Celtic, that if the said player would ever become a player , the coach stated that he would join the nunnery ! And we were winning...eventually lost 2-1...not surprised with that kind of inspiration from the coach. They surely cannot expect young guys to nurture themselves. Time to get the right coaching staff in for the young guys to bring them through with encouragement and enthusiasm ala Fergie at United.

A very good post there in my opinion, but we do, do have a new coaching structure since then. Jimmy Sinclair, names don't all come to me at the moment but I would normally know their names! HOW doh

The Murray Park set up is a financial loophole.

It's set up as a private company to protect Rangers and it's balance sheet - as murray park owns the players, they dont grow in worth until such times as they are 'promoted' to Rangers players.

This way, a youth player can ony boost the balance sheet significantly

If rangers agree to buy them, then they do so for a nominal sum - say 50,000 (which is then re-invested in MP) then they put them on the balance sheet of RFC as worth 200,000 until such time they prive themselves when eventually they move up the scales etc.

All of a sudden RFC has a massive asset and MP is left to stand on it's own two feet and survive based on the lives of the 50K it just got from Rangers.

Smart thinking as far as I am concerned, if for no other reason than when you are a youth at MP you arrive with the notion that this is a setup that doesn't pay big-money. you havent YET signed for Rangers - you have to get Rangers to sign you from here.

It's just financial juggling. Rangers Youth Development is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rangers. One purpose of it, I believe, was to ring-fence the investment that went into RYD from the black hole of debt that the club itself had at that time.

Thats basically correct and to see that the future of the business is further secured by fees taken in for players it produces and signed by RFC.

The way I see it if a player is good enough then Rangers pay for his development to that stage, probably plus some more, but this is better than paying for 12 kids development and only one making it.

If effect we pay more for that individual who makes it, but less overall as the players before that would be freed and taken on by other clubs are now being paid a nominal fee for that covers their development costs plus a bit more as profit.

On the surface everyone looks a winner.

Shuggy mentions abusing kids, I hope he means in terms of their development and not in a Celtic boys club way.

It is important that murray park and youth development are separated. Murray park provides the setting, but ultimately its down to the coaching/scouting staff to identify and nurture talent so if no kids break through then this is where to point the finger not at the facility. But as we can see talent is breaking through, smith, hutton, burke, mcgregor amongst others have come through the setup and we can only hope there is more/better to follow