Best player in the EPL?

stevie G isnt all that great , he has poor technique for an alleged "great" player, although he somehow seems to pull them out the shite

Gerrard has poor technique...?

Poor old OC is getting pelters for this one, but the absence of Gerrard from my squad, never mind team, suggests I don't really hold him in especially high esteem either.

He is an inspirational player who leads well, but there are better footballers in England than him.

Perhaps, but to suggest he has poor technique is nothing short of crazy! I've lost count how many 30 yard screamers he's scored!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im gonna put my neck on the line and say its one of these

fernando torres

robin van persie

stephen ireland

michael essien

andriy arshavin

wayne rooney

dimitar berbatov

steven gerrard

wilson palacios

didier drogba

franck lampard

robbie keane

carlos cuellar

alan hutton

cesc fabregras

michael arteta

tim cahill

robinho

rio ferdinand

nemanja vidic

john terry

daniel cousin

rory delap

Thats a crazy team. Arbeloa is a right back, Robino is a "number 10" or left winger and Glen Jonson is a right back. Hutton on the bench as well?

Arbeloa has played CB many times.

Swap around Robinho and Johnson then :D

And Hutton's superb, just not fancied by 'Arry.

I wouldn't say he would make it into a Premiership 11 though. So many other choices.

(tu)

But he's not proved it though in the Premiership. Great in Europe and SPL but since he's not been given a run of games, his consistency or form can't be measured.

One could say his quality in the CL proved he's capable of it in the EPL which isn't as high a level.

But I did put him on the bench, not my 11. I think Bosingwa is the world's best RB with Alvez and Maicon just behind him. Hutton has a lot to do to get on that pedestal. But the Brazilians aren't in the EPL ;)

It's not the same though. Carlos Cuellar was equally as good, if not better but he hasn't exactly been a standout at Villa.

Hutton must get a regular game first then become a standout before he can be talked about as one of the best right backs in England let alone the world. He has a lot of potential and I hope he can convince Redknapp to play him regurlalrly.

Well... I'd say that one of the most technically gifted players when on form would be Roninho.

As for sheer determination I'd say it's a toss up between Rooney and Gerrard for me.

I don't actually believe there's a set best player in the league, but the player that has impressed me most in the league (when not injured) is Van Persie.

It's not the same though. Carlos Cuellar was equally as good, if not better but he hasn't exactly been a standout at Villa.

Hutton must get a regular game first then become a standout before he can be talked about as one of the best right backs in England let alone the world. He has a lot of potential and I hope he can convince Redknapp to play him regurlalrly.

You make a good point about Cuellar, but it overlooks one thing - Cuellar's been played as a RB at Villa, which isn't his best position by a long shot.

IMO, Steven Gerrard has always been the best player in the Premiership, and still is, with or without Ronaldo!

Couldn't agree more, thought this for a good number years. (tu)

Essien, Arshavin, Torres, Rooney all come very close though.

Am jumping on the Essien bandwagon!! Without a doubt (IMO) the most complete midfielder in the world.

Torres a close second, not only because hes the best striker in the EPL but also he has great hair

Am jumping on the Essien bandwagon!! Without a doubt (IMO) the most complete midfielder in the world.

More so than either Xavi or Iniesta?

Ha ha now your putting me on the spot!! I just think that Essien can play defensive, central or attacking midfielder. Not so sure the barca boys could do all 3, thats not to take anything away from them tho, they are both amazing and would walk in to any team in the world. But hey ho thats just my humble opinion. You know what I mean??

Whats your thinking Danny??

Ha ha now your putting me on the spot!! I just think that Essien can play defensive, central or attacking midfielder. Not so sure the barca boys could do all 3, thats not to take anything away from them tho, they are both amazing and would walk in to any team in the world. But hey ho thats just my humble opinion. You know what I mean??

Well we had a chance to compare directly when Barca and Chelsea met - apart from his goal, Essien did little to suggest he's more capable than Xavi or Iniesta. Both were qucker than him, better on the ball, and passed the ball a lot more accurately.

I remember at the Camp Nou watching him try to saunter forward and he was slow and cumbersome on the ball, before Iniesta mugged him with ease.

He is very specifically, imo, a defensive midfielder.

haha different types of midfielders you might say

... and Essien is undoubtedly class but "compplete" is not the first word I would think off to desribe him.

This pretty mcuh sums Essien up:

Well we had a chance to compare directly when Barca and Chelsea met - apart from his goal, Essien did little to suggest he's more capable than Xavi or Iniesta. Both were qucker than him, better on the ball, and passed the ball a lot more accurately.

I remember at the Camp Nou watching him try to saunter forward and he was slow and cumbersome on the ball, before Iniesta mugged him with ease.

Apart from stopping them from playing - 1 shot on target.

Wasn't that the entire remit of Hiddink's tactic? 11 men behind the ball?

I don't think you can exclusively credit Essien with stopping Barcelona from scoring.

I'd have to say that La Liga has better players (most of them at two teams though) and more depth in the quality of teams but that is not what the "best league in the world" is judged on, it is how well the teams do in the European competitions. The top 4 English sides consistently dominate the Champions League so the EPL is ranked above any other league.

You have a very weird view on the game Danny. You don't rate Gerrard or Zidane and you think Pato is better than Messi :D Each to their own though.

Gerrard for me is the best player in the EPL at the moment, his all round game is just different class. He can run all day, can tackle, can play a 5 yard or 40 yard pass, scores his fair share and is a leader...what more do you want in a footballer? He would walk into any team in the world and that's what makes him a world class footballer.

You have a very weird view on the game Danny. You don't rate Gerrard or Zidane and you think Pato is better than Messi :D Each to their own though.

Gerrard for me is the best player in the EPL at the moment, his all round game is just different class. He can run all day, can tackle, can play a 5 yard or 40 yard pass, scores his fair share and is a leader...what more do you want in a footballer? He would walk into any team in the world and that's what makes him a world class footballer.

Danny is what is as known as 'one of the game's great thinkers'.

Certainly gives me a different perspective on things to talk about (football wise) down the pub with the lads! :lol:

Wasn't that the entire remit of Hiddink's tactic? 11 men behind the ball?

I don't think you can exclusively credit Essien with stopping Barcelona from scoring.

I do believe essien to be a more all round midfielder but that doesnt mean I think hes better. I think hes comfortable being asked to play in any midfield position. where as xavi or iniesta wouldnt be comfortable sat deep in front of the back 4. I do believe that xavi and iniesta are the best at what they do and to have them in the same team, well just look at the season Barca had!!!

Danny is what is as known as 'one of the game's great thinkers'.

Certainly gives me a different perspective on things to talk about (football wise) down the pub with the lads! :lol:

Same. I think I disagree with almost everything he says. But he does make some interesting points TBF