Walter is looking to turn on the style this season

Rangers boss Walter Smith looking to turn on the style this season

LIONEL MESSI famously put the boot into Rangers two years ago when he accused them of playing anti-football in a Champions League tie against Barcelona.

But as the next phase of Walter Smith's Ibrox rebuilding job kicks off in Germany tonight, the Light Blues boss hopes to see his side turn on the style.

Smith has successfully set about completing each task since he answered Sir David Murray's call to return to Rangers in January 2007.

The first was to restore the club's battered pride after the ill-fated Paul Le Guen era and just get them challenging again. He did that, reaching a European final in the process.

After that it was all about getting the SPL title back to Ibrox. That mission was accomplished last season in his second full campaign back in the Ibrox hotseat.

Now, as the wily 61-year-old prepares for another domestic and Champions League assault, his vision for his Rangers side is starting to come together.

Criticism over style - even Messi aside - has never been far away since Smith came back to the club.

Moulding But while there has been much talk of free-flowing football at Parkhead under new Celtic boss Tony Mowbray, the Ibrox gaffer now hopes to come up with his own brand of exciting play.

The first step in the process of moulding a more attack-minded side comes in Germany tonight when Rangers take on minnows Sportfreunde Lotte.

Smith rhymed off midfielders Pedro Mendes, Steve Davis and comeback man Kevin Thomson as key players to the way he hopes his side can play.

Asked about his vision for the team, he said: "It's starting to get there, domestically at least.

"The Champions League is a hard environment to play in and we need to make sure we're right defensively.

"But domestically I feel we're operating with a good level of player. In midfield, Thomson, Davis and Mendes are all good footballers.

"I would hope that will show in the level of football we're starting to play. I felt at times last season we were getting there and playing some decent football and I would hope we would see more of that this time."

But while Rangers look to turn on the style, their most gifted midfielder - Portuguese ace Mendes - is looking to adopt a more Scottish mentality and put a bit of aggression into his play.

Smith said: "He has spoken to me about it. He doesn't mean he's going to become a tackler but if he wants to try to impose himself on the game he needs to change a wee bit.

"It's a different type of game in Scotland. It's not easy for somebody to come in and play. We play the majority of our games with four midfielders and we're up against five or six.

"That's not easy for someone like Mendes to get used to.

"It's an aspect he found a wee bit difficult last season. It took him a bit of time to settle in but I think Pedro will be a lot steadier this season and will be a big influence on the team."

Smith is delighted to seeThomson on the comeback trail after his horrendous knee injury in November. Steven Naismith is another who is fully fit again and on top of that Smith believes the likes of Steven Whittaker and Kyle Lafferty started to prove their worth in the title run-in.

The Gers boss said: "Thommo is back but it will be September before he is fully match fit. He won't play a full 90 minutes until then.

He's with us in Germany and he'll train and play here and there but he's not ready for a full match. That said, he's looking good, as is Naismith.

"He had a similar injury and missed a lot of football but is looking terrific at the moment.

"His fitness is first class and he's a player I'm looking forward to getting back. People forget about Stevie. He's ready now. He has that realisation of what is required to come in and play.

"The one thing I'm really looking forward to this season is the progression. Not just in the team but in the individual players. There is Naismith and Thomson but also Lafferty and Whittaker as well.

"Thomson was just getting to know the demands of playing for Rangers when he got injured and Whittaker was arguably our best player in the second half of last season.

"John Fleck is another one. There is a change in his approach and he's showing much more aggression."

Balance Fleck could be a possible solution to Smith's left-midfield problem which he admits continues to have him scratching his head. He said: "We're no closer to solving that.

"We've still got the same problem, players who can offer us a lot in one sense and not a lot in another.

"It's an area where we are short of someone who gives us abalance.

"But we're just going to have to keep going as we have been. A number of boys will be used there depending on the

situation."

hopefully we will see some good football this season

A few points I want to make after reading this....

"The Champions League is a hard environment to play in and we need to make sure we're right defensively.

All that means is we will be playing the same, negative, back's to the wall 4-5-1 in every European game this season, not sure what Walters plan is, maybe he thinks six draws will see us progress? doh

Balance Fleck could be a possible solution to Smith's left-midfield problem which he admits continues to have him scratching his head. He said: "We're no closer to solving that.

So that's either McCulloch or Lafferty going to be played out left again, superb Walter!!

All that means is we will be playing the same, negative, back's to the wall 4-5-1 in every European game this season, not sure what Walters plan is, maybe he thinks six draws will see us progress? doh

So that's either McCulloch or Lafferty going to be played out left again, superb Walter!!

The solution is Aaron.

The solution is Aaron.

I know it's its Aaron, you know it's Aaron and the whole Rangers support know's it's Aaron but Walter will ignore him as per, it's what he does.

Yeah we were really dull to watch with our 4-5-1 against stuttgart, Lyon last time we played in the CL...... <cr>

How many games did lee mcculloch play on the left last season ?

Do you actually watch Rangers ?

Yeah we were really dull to watch with our 4-5-1 against stuttgart, Lyon last time we played in the CL...... <cr>

How many games did lee mcculloch play on the left last season ?

Do you actually watch Rangers ?

WOW you managed to quote two whole games from how many exactly in that European campaign?

You really are retarded.

WOW you managed to quote two whole games from how many exactly in that European campaign?

You really are retarded.

We perofrmed well in all but one of the CL games, lyon at home, and were good watch in the process. Against barca we did a job that need to be done at home

A fine answer you gave though, really put me in my place,

I love how misleading the title of the article is :lol:

In regards to what Stuart and Danny were saying, thats why I don't tend to use the media headlines when I post news threads, as they're often misleading and/or full of hyperbole.

If the same negative 4-5-1 gets us to the latter stages of European competition again then so be it. Still don't understand the negativity towards Smith for playing that way to get us to Manchester. The only game he should have went for it was in the Champions League against Stuttgart when we had nothing to lose.

wouldn't bother me if we played 4-5-1 in the CL, will probably be quite sensible to do if we want to progress, I'm sure when Barca were playing Chelsea last season in the same competition Chelsea did the same and played defensively but didn't see them get shot down for it.

wouldn't bother me if we played 4-5-1 in the CL, will probably be quite sensible to do if we want to progress, I'm sure when Barca were playing Chelsea last season in the same competition Chelsea did the same and played defensively but didn't see them get shot down for it.

there fans arnt as fickle as ours

the prospect of having aaron, thomson, davis and mendes in the same midfield next season is very exciting.

hopefully wattie makes this happen. :)

as for a 451 in europe, if it brings us nights like lyon away and manchester then why not?

in the spl we should try and play like at tannadice in may, the players showed that they are capable of doing so.

Really good article. Especially good to see the likes of Thommo and Naismith getting back to full fitness hopefully soon.

I accept a lot of what Walter has said. There were times last season where we played pretty good football. However it was inconsistant and the left side of midfield is going to cause problems until it is sorted.

But I am looking forward to seeing Thommo, Naismith and Lafferty next season as I believe we will notice a significant improvement in their performances.

As far as the Champions League goes, I expect to qualify for the last 16. And I believe Walter can achieve that, whether he plays 4-5-1 or not. I can't believe people even question this formation when it so blatantly worked for us in Europe the season before last.

Feel free to question playing 4-5-1 against Aberdeen, but whether you like it or not, at this stage, we are not going to play the likes of Lyon or Stuttgart off the park with silky passing movements and individual flair.

Why do people persist on writing out there own opinion of a situation as if its fact. doh

451 in the CL works out fine for me. Especially if it gets us to the last 16. The only time I've been let down by Smiths tactics in Europe was Manchester. He should have just went for it, it was one game.

"But domestically I feel we're operating with a good level of player. In midfield, Thomson, Davis and Mendes are all good footballers.

"I would hope that will show in the level of football we're starting to play. I felt at times last season we were getting there and playing some decent football and I would hope we would see more of that this time."