Walter: Id Love Crack At Madrid

Stu1993

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I alone in my cynicism in thinking Walter wants the biggest club and a group of death so he's got an unchallengeable excuse for 10 men behind the ball and defeats?

Give him a group where he's got a bit of a chance and the fear of failure kicks in for him.

I hope you're alone in thinking that, because it's verging on complete shite :pipe:

I suppose we get that many european finals it wasn't that big a deal.......

I'll be amazed the day I see you argue without sarcasm ;)

No-one ever remembers the losers.

Apart from you...as you said a few posts ago you have plenty of memories of that run......

I remember the run, but I've not watched the final since that day.

But you were saying you would trade that run in for one game in the last 16, you are tying yourself up in knots here to make a silly point......

OK, let me clarify;

I enjoyed the UEFA Cup run, some amazing memories. Looking back now, we shouldn't even have been in there as we were top of our CL group after three games, but it was still good fun.

Given a number of things - the financial predicament of the club, the number of games with our UEFA run and the prestige of the CL - I would rather have made more cash from less games in the latter stages of the CL.

From a selfish viewpoint, obviously we all loved the UEFA run, no doubt about it.

But I think that looking back now, less games and more money (and no Manchester riot) would have benefitted the club more.

But you were saying you would trade that run in for one game in the last 16, you are tying yourself up in knots here to make a silly point......

OK, let me clarify;

I enjoyed the UEFA Cup run, some amazing memories. Looking back now, we shouldn't even have been in there as we were top of our CL group after three games, but it was still good fun.

Given a number of things - the financial predicament of the club, the number of games with our UEFA run and the prestige of the CL - I would rather have made more cash from less games in the latter stages of the CL.

From a selfish viewpoint, obviously we all loved the UEFA run, no doubt about it.

But I think that looking back now, less games and more money (and no Manchester riot) would have benefitted the club more.

Plus we wouldnt have had the fixture congestion which ultimately cost us the league

I wouldnt want Real Madrid purely for the fact it would mean we would get another top team from pot 1 :anguish:

It's not selfish is called being a fan........

I know what you mean, but I think the less games/more money/winning the league/no riot would have benefitted us much better in the long run.

We would have avoided the Kaunas debacle anyway!

How, without a hint of irony, can people talk about us being a big club, bang on about keep believeing and give it No Surrender and then in the next thread you see the same people going "aw fuck that I don't want Real as they will pump us" give us an easy group so we can get through.

Pot 1 and Pot 2 are full of good sides so we are getting a big name, there's no two ways about it.

If it happens to be Real then fucking bring them on.

I don't think our squad is big enough to cope with two or three games a week in all four competitions, hence why I'd prefer to avoid this year's 'Group of Death'.

I don't think it makes me 'scared' of them though...

How, without a hint of irony, can people talk about us being a big club, bang on about keep believeing and give it No Surrender and then in the next thread you see the same people going "aw fuck that I don't want Real as they will pump us" give us an easy group so we can get through.

Pot 1 and Pot 2 are full of good sides so we are getting a big name, there's no two ways about it.

If it happens to be Real then fucking bring them on.

There are far "Easier" ties we could get though... Would you rather have European champions Barcelona or Bayern munich (a team aberdeen gave a run for their money at pittodrie) and from pot 2, Real madrid, full of superstars, or Sporting Lisbon, a team we have beaten before... and im talking about a footballing sense, not to see their big name players, after all we only go to see the Rangers...

I don't think our squad is big enough to cope with two or three games a week in all four competitions, hence why I'd prefer to avoid this year's 'Group of Death'.

I don't think it makes me 'scared' of them though...

Still play the same amount of games.......

Yeah, but Madrid will give you more of a run-around than Alkmaar or Lisbon would.

How can you say that, their are no steadfast rules.

Because I've seen them both play quite a bit last year and I know that any team with Pepe, Kaka, Benzema, Ramos, Albiol and Ronaldo will be so much better than them!

And AZ have just lost Van Gaal to Bayern, although Koeman isn't too bad.

Lisbon are also not THAT much different from the side that we comfortably put away two years ago either.

So please, in terms of qualification, gimme those two before Real.

Id much rather prefer an easier route to the last 16. The additonal £££'s it would bring are exactly wot the club need. And then perhaps for the last 16 we could play Real Madrid? That would be perfect, cos we all know we're not going far in the tournament, but getting through the group stage and going out to a gigantic team like Madrid would sit superbly with me :)

ok , let's be clear and settle this.

Nothing less than the CL final against Real Madrid is acceptable. That'd suit me just fine.

But seriously.. give us the easiest passage the the last 16.. and then hope for one our brilliant defensive defensive displays to get to the last 8. It's all possible. It is. So.. stay awatyfrom the likes as ManURE/REAL/Barca etc for as long as possible.

So you would have traded getting to manchester for beating Lyon...bizzare....

Yes in a Footballing sense but I could also see myself saying no as I met some lovely people, keep in touch with the head of the family and plan to visit again.

So if we get the likes of Madrid, Man Utd and Wolfsburg and get humiliated, you will be happy anyway because at least we had big clubs playing against us? Fuck that, we ARE a big club, we arent an amatuer side thats going to fawn over superstars playing at Ibrox like a wee lassie at a Westlife concert. We are in the CL for a reason, because we are the Champions of Scotland. I want us to get a good enough draw that will give us the best possible chance of progressing in the tournement.

The best comment in this entire thread.

Far too many fans are excited about the CL for completely the wrong reasons. They seem to see it as a competition in which we get to host the great sides of Europe, coo over Cristiano Ronaldo, and have a shiny away trip to big European grounds. And the thought of progressing is dismissed to the secondary with a 'who knows what we can do on our day'.

I don't want a 'who knows', I don't want a 'on our day we could take points' yadda.

I want a much sodding higher chance of achieving that, of getting to the last 16 - the glamour teams lessen our chance of getting anywhere.

And it utterly disgusts me to hear Walter Smith backing up this defeatist attitude by bigging up Madrid and frankly making us sound like we're privileged to be in this tournament, and stating it will take a miracle to get us to the last 16.

I find that completely unacceptable.

Utterly disgusts, what ridiculous hyperbole..... :lol:

A defeatist attitude that wants to see you pit your team against the very best...... :lol:

Walter has been honest in his appraisal of our champions league chances and is trying to manage expectations (which can be hard when you have fans than nitpick his every word and throw the rattle out the pram if he says something they disagree with)

We have a very inexperienced squad in champions league terms and have lost Barry Ferguson this summer. I want to get out the group stages, just as Walter does but it will be excellent management if he steers us through and if we go in as third seeds we will need to upset the odds do it whoever we play.

I like Champions league football as it's played at a far higher standard and in a totally different style than SPL football. In many games that has elevated our game far above normal levels and it has been a joy to watch. Also the away games can be brilliant, what is wrong with fans lookign forward to that ? do you travel to away European games Danny ?