Dropping Boyd and Miller

I'm seriously baffled with the number of posters who seem to be for the idea of dropping Boyd, Miller, or in some cases both of them, in favour of guys like Novo, Velicka, Fleck and Lafferty.

Don't get me wrong, the afore mentioned have their value to the squad, but dropping the most prominent and natural looking partnership we have to simply "give the others a chance" is such a needless risk to take.

Don't get me wrong, I know Boyd and Miller have their weaknesses (I'm normally one of the first to point them out :pipe: ) but a 44 goals haul, with a league and cup double at the end of it surely highlights that they are the best players we have for the job at this moment in time.

They should start the season but if one or neither is playing well then the others should get a chance.

Walter Smith has a habit of constantly picking players regardless of poor form.

I agree with that (tu)

I just struggle to see why anybody would drop them for say Velicka and Novo before a ball has even been kicked.

I'm seriously baffled with the number of posters who seem to be for the idea of dropping Boyd, Miller, or in some cases both of them, in favour of guys like Novo, Velicka, Fleck and Lafferty.

Don't get me wrong, the afore mentioned have their value to the squad, but dropping the most prominent and natural looking partnership we have to simply "give the others a chance" is such a needless risk to take.

Don't get me wrong, I know Boyd and Miller have their weaknesses (I'm normally one of the first to point them out :pipe: ) but a 44 goals haul, with a league and cup double at the end of it surely highlights that they are the best players we have for the job at this moment in time.

Compltely agreee

They should start the season but if one or neither is playing well then the others should get a chance.

Walter Smith has a habit of constantly picking players regardless of poor form.

I agree with that (tu)

I just struggle to see why anybody would drop them for say Velicka and Novo before a ball has even been kicked.

Well, I would not play Velicka unless I had to, I would play Novo over miller, and, would play lafferty with Boyd before any of them

If i'm honest i'd play Boyd against everyone bar Celtic and in Europe this season as he hasn't got it to mix it with the big boys.

Against the rest he'll score a barrow load and 3 points is 3 points no matter who you play.

I agree, it would be mad to drop them and theres no way Watty will, until CL games where he will start Miller or Lafferty up their by themselves.

Next in line should deffo be Lafferty though.

This is my first post - looks like a great site.

I have been thinking about our forward line if everyone was fit an I would like to see a 433 with Boyd and Lafferty upfront with miller out wide left.

welcome to the forum mate, but what a fucking stupid idea :pipe: , nah even me a firm beleiver of attacking minded football is resigned to the fact we will approach every game with caution, and yes il admit on most occassions walter proved me wrong *cough*

DBBTB, i understand what you are saying mate, i do. And on paper, especially in the SPL, both these players did rack up a lot of goals.

IMO though, having more versatile strikers, with a bit better quality on the ball, would be far more beneficial to the team, although they may score less, but players like that will mean the midfield will chip in with a few more goals than they did last term.

Last season we were so 1 dimensional at times. All we were doing is just lumping the ball forward and hoping Boyd picks up scraps here and there. Against weaker opposition Boyd will score no problem, as we bombard teams, and he is always hovering around the area. Miller started the season well, and finished it well, but there was a large chunk in the middle that he was fucking dire, and couldnt hit a barn door.

People moan about us playing shite football, but insist that the likes of Boyd play every game. Boyd isnt able to play at a fast pace, and track back and link up (well, not consistantly anyway, he did do that in the odd game, such as the last game of the season), and Miller's touch at times is pitiful.

Lafferty is a lot more comfortable on the ball, as is Naismith..and i'd rather have Nacho than Miller but thats a different debate all together.

We will struggle up front in the CL, because Boyd will be playing probably every week in the SPL with Miller...but Walter KNOWS he wont ever try Boyd in the CL as he would get eaten alive. So when it comes to the European games, we will probably see Lafferty up front who hasnt played as many games as Boyd.

I have been thinking about our forward line if everyone was fit an I would like to see a 433 with Boyd and Lafferty upfront with miller out wide left.

welcome to the forum mate, but what a fucking stupid idea :pipe: , nah even me a firm beleiver of attacking minded football is resigned to the fact we will approach every game with caution, and yes il admit on most occassions walter proved me wrong *cough*

Thanks for the welcome !! but with those forwards it would be exciting and there is always Davie Weir to stop anything at the back - so why not play a 3 upfront - especially in SPL - It may give some in Europe a shock as welll - but Walter Smith does seem a little bit cautious at times - but if we are winning who cares.

Thanks for the welcome !! but with those forwards it would be exciting and there is always Davie Weir to stop anything at the back - so why not play a 3 upfront - especially in SPL - It may give some in Europe a shock as welll - but Walter Smith does seem a little bit cautious at times - but if we are winning who cares.

cautious!! the mans a shitebag *places tin hat upon head*, hopefully weir will just be a bit part player next season and we can bring in a new CB before the end of the window.

DBBTB, i understand what you are saying mate, i do. And on paper, especially in the SPL, both these players did rack up a lot of goals.

IMO though, having more versatile strikers, with a bit better quality on the ball, would be far more beneficial to the team, although they may score less, but players like that will mean the midfield will chip in with a few more goals than they did last term.

Last season we were so 1 dimensional at times. All we were doing is just lumping the ball forward and hoping Boyd picks up scraps here and there. Against weaker opposition Boyd will score no problem, as we bombard teams, and he is always hovering around the area. Miller started the season well, and finished it well, but there was a large chunk in the middle that he was fucking dire, and couldnt hit a barn door.

People moan about us playing shite football, but insist that the likes of Boyd play every game. Boyd isnt able to play at a fast pace, and track back and link up (well, not consistantly anyway, he did do that in the odd game, such as the last game of the season), and Miller's touch at times is pitiful.

Lafferty is a lot more comfortable on the ball, as is Naismith..and i'd rather have Nacho than Miller but thats a different debate all together.

We will struggle up front in the CL, because Boyd will be playing probably every week in the SPL with Miller...but Walter KNOWS he wont ever try Boyd in the CL as he would get eaten alive. So when it comes to the European games, we will probably see Lafferty up front who hasnt played as many games as Boyd.

Walter Smith will give Boyd a fair crack of the whip at playing in the Champions League just like anybody else, his opinion of Boyd has clearly gone up immensely over the last year.