BARRY: I dream of being Rangers manager

ShaneRalfRoss

BARRY: I dream of being Rangers manager

Exclusive by Darrell King

BARRY FERGUSON'S life has hardly followed a steady path, with a series of turbulent episodes in his past, both on and off the field, that he has had to go through and emerge from at the other side.

But he has clarity on two specific issues when it comes to his future.

l He dreams of a return to Ibrox - and would love to manage the club one day.

l If his playing career does lead him back north of the border in its twilight, there is no way he will ever play against Rangers.

At the minute, taking a seat in the Ibrox dugout may appear some way off for the man who has just left for Birmingham City to embark on a new chapter of his playing career.

But he has long-term ambitions of donning the tracksuit one day, and will take his first steps onto the coaching ladder next summer.

The well-respected SFA course that so many of his peers have been on had been his target. Not surprisingly, after recent events, he won't now be heading to Largs, and will look abroad.

"Coaching is something I really want to get started, and I'll do that next summer abroad somewhere," he said as the countdown continues to his first competitive game against Manchester United at Old Trafford this Sunday.

"I've worked under some top managers. Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat, Graeme Souness, Mark Hughes and Alex McLeish.

"You see the things they need to deal with - God, I've given some of them tough things to sort out - and it does appeal to me getting into that side of the game.

"I'd love to go back and work at Rangers. Manager? Well that would be a dream, but it would be great to be involved at the club in some capacity and see where that takes me.

"I've looked at guys like Ian Durrant, John Brown and Ally McCoist - Rangers men like myself - and see the buzz they get from coming in and working for the club after they've stopped playing. I would love that."

For all there were problems in two spells during his second playing stint in Light Blue - the Paul Le Guen fall-out and his Boozegate shame - Ferguson parted on excellent terms with everyone at the club.

He will retain season tickets for Ibrox, will come up and see games when he can and there is no bad blood between him and anyone else. He explained: "I shook hands with everyone, we parted on good terms and there is no problem.

"Since I left for Birmingham a few weeks ago, I've heard from the manager, the chairman Sir David Murray, Coisty, big David Weir and most of the players.

"I have a lot of close friends at Rangers, so there is nothing lingering. We have both moved on, everyone felt the reasons were right for both parties and that's life.

"I have no axe to grind, and I think the club - no matter the fact I have always had critics in my time at Rangers - know that I gave a large spell of my life to them.

"I was always committed to one goal and that was winning things and trying to be part of a successful side. I won 15 trophies at Rangers, that's not bad."

The affinity between himself and the club, Ferguson insists, would prevent him from ever turning out against the team he grew up supporting and went on to captain.

He is 31 now, and has signed a two-year deal in the Midlands with the option of a further season. He plans to see that out, and added: "I have no plans to ever come back and play in Scotland, I want to see this out with Birmingham and see what happens after that."

But what if a route opened up for him to come back to the SPL as a 34 or 35-year-old and still see if he could do a job?

"I couldn't play against Rangers," he responds, "I just could not see myself doing that." And with the way the early signs are at Birmingham, Ferguson may well end his playing days down south.

He went on: "It's honestly gone better than I expected. I've settled in really well and the club have been great.

"It's a club with big ambitions, the boys are keen and hungry to do well in the Premiership after getting back up and I have a real taste again for this kind of new challenge.

"Its always going to be a wrench leaving Rangers. I went in there from school after coming through the ranks, I grew up there and went through a lot of ups and downs. But, who knows, I might be back one day, in football anything can happen."

Publication date 12/08/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2525159.0.0.php

Don't want him anywhere near Ibrox ever again!

I'll bet anyone right now that Barry Ferguson does not have what it takes to become a good, successful manager!

But he can always dream.

I'll bet anyone right now that Barry Ferguson does not have what it takes to become a good, successful manager!

But he can always dream.

I wont mind him as a coach, but, like you said, I dont think he will become a manager, but, he certainly seems to get respect from his peers, so, in that sense he ha a chance.

One thing i have to say is, the way he has conducted himself since leaving this time, is exactly how he should have been conducting himself as captain.

But he can always dream.

I wont mind him as a coach, but, like you said, I dont think he will become a manager, but, he certainly seems to get respect from his peers, so, in that sense he ha a chance.

One thing i have to say is, the way he has conducted himself since leaving this time, is exactly how he should have been conducting himself as captain.

i wouldnt mind him bein a coach either cos he was a gr8 player 4 us back in the days of the mcleish era and he was the 1 who fought le guen durin his disastorous reign! :anguish: and that for me still keeps me loyal 2 him after he freed us from that idiot!! :gerbad:

manager

rty i can see this happen wi him as manager

we go to play in spain in cl and get beat rty

come bk to the hotel ok lads lets get pished and give the v sign next home game

manager o rangers dont fucking think so bring bk plg b4 i have barry as manager

manager

rty i can see this happen wi him as manager

we go to play in spain in cl and get beat rty

come bk to the hotel ok lads lets get pished and give the v sign next home game

manager o rangers dont fucking think so bring bk plg b4 i have barry as manager

You should be more considerate for those who speak English.