***the Official N F L 11/12 Season Thread***

chris_glasgow

Thats like asking how people can support the Steelers, Cowboys, Jets or Patriots really. :pipe:

Oh and the Raiders, if you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough!

Nah not really, no team has consistently cheated and pulled cheap shit like the Patriots over the last decade. 2001 Super Bowl, 2004 AFC Championship game, videotaping practices...

Nah not really, no team has consistently cheated and pulled cheap shit like the Patriots over the last decade. 2001 Super Bowl, 2004 AFC Championship game, videotaping practices...

I would still point you to the Raiders for the past few decades though TG, the Pats have only started doing it recently in comparison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6027832

How can anyone actually support this team with all the cheap shit they pull? :lol:

Preaching to the choir here, my m8. I liked Wilfork teeing off on Sanchez near the end of the game as well. Class. Really funny part was reading all the NE fans' comments after the match, furious at the Jets fans for lacking class and not "winning with dignity". As if. I'm no fan of the Jets by any stretch, but that game was a classic example of karma in action.

Nice to see the Patriots come down to earth with a bang, don't like how the Jets over-celebrated. But if any team deserve it, it's the Patriots.

Can't see past the Packers for the Superbowl now.

Would love it to be the Bears winning it all, but they're the last of the four I'd bet on. Watch it be a Jets/Packers match up. Those colours... :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Would love it to be the Bears winning it all, but they're the last of the four I'd bet on. Watch it be a Jets/Packers match up. Those colours... :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Yeah those colours are :anguish:

But to save this years Superbowl, we need a passing team like the Packers to make the Superbowl more interesting.

Shame the Hawks never turned up until the 4th quarter on sunday but it was curtains by that point. Just 1 step to far for a limited team. Some bad falls for TE Carlson and CB Trufant. 2 of my favourite players and it was worrying seeing Carlson go off like that as he looked in a bad way. Both seem to be fine according to reports today.

I bet the Packers at the start ofthe season so I will be putting my support behind them despite their awful coloured uniforms hehe

Jerry Jones, the outspoken owner of the Dallas Cowboys says before kick off of Super Bowl XLV, the stadiums jumbOtron, the largest in the world, will show highlights of Super Bowls the Cowboys won.

"People need to remember that this is Cowboys Stadium" said Jones.

:lol:

Better than showing pizza commercials or movie previews (tu)

Hmmm.. true. I doubt Jerry Jones would show some clips of Clint Murchison, the first owner of the Cowboys because I know he will be posthumously enshrined in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Hmmm.. true. I doubt Jerry Jones would show some clips of Clint Murchison, the first owner of the Cowboys because I know he will be posthumously enshrined in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Why?

I don't particularly like Jerry, but he does appreciate and honor Cowboys history

Why?

I don't particularly like Jerry, but he does appreciate and honor Cowboys history

Honestly, I dunno. Since ClintonGrey had that quote in which Jerry would show the clips of the Cowboy Super Bowl triumphs, I was sure he would not go far back in the Cowboy lore to show Clint Murchison. That was what I was thinking. I also found out that Clint oversaw the construction of the Texas Stadium in 1971, 40 years ago.

Thanks mate (tu)

Don't really follow it until the final tbh. Who would be a good bet to put on just now to win with the chance of a good return?

As much as I utterly hate to say it, the Steelers have to be the favourites.

If you want a good return though, along with a decent chance of winning, the Packers are who you want.

Shame the Hawks never turned up until the 4th quarter on sunday but it was curtains by that point. Just 1 step to far for a limited team. Some bad falls for TE Carlson and CB Trufant. 2 of my favourite players and it was worrying seeing Carlson go off like that as he looked in a bad way. Both seem to be fine according to reports today.

I bet the Packers at the start ofthe season so I will be putting my support behind them despite their awful coloured uniforms hehe

Had a feeling the Hawks would be shown up away from home, but I still wanted them to make a game of it. Shame it was too little, too late. Felt the same in my Rams last game v. your team; it's really aggravating when you know they're capable of playing much better than what they showed. Must say I wasn't too upset seeing Lawyer Milloy getting torched for a TD, though. ;) Oh well - kudos at least to Seattle for beating N.O., which no sane person could possibly have imagined. :D Hope Chicago gets in, but GB is fun to watch as well in spite of their horrible clobber. AS long as the NFC wins, I'll be happy.

Too right Del, NFC for the win!!

We look likely to have to go through another majot rebuilding phase in the off season. We had 287 personnel transactions last year and I jsut read a report that said 9 of our starters from Sunday are not even contracted for next season yet.

We need to strengthen in quite a few areas.

I would sing up Matt Hass for 1 more year, try to get a QB in the draft or a decent trade (Vince young or Kevin Kolb please Jon schneider)!!Our O-Line needs a right tackle badly, we have Okung at LT but we never had any consistency in selection all year and we had no run game at all for 90% of the season. Replace Milloy at safety and Trufants best days are behind him at CB so secondary is a major concern for me, Earl Thomas will be great for us in years to come but he is young and needs some help along the way.

We could use a reciever who can actually hold onto the ball when the big plays are on the line, Obomanu and Butler are young and have potential and Mike Williams looks like he will be solid. Give Stokley another year as he was a big 3rd down guy for us at times.

I like our defense overall but we need a better pass rush from our front 4. Our Linebackers are probably our strongest part of the team just now so they can stay the same.

Overall still quite a bit of work to do in Seattle but I think Carroll is the man for the job!

Go Hawks!

Too right Del, NFC for the win!!

We look likely to have to go through another majot rebuilding phase in the off season. We had 287 personnel transactions last year and I jsut read a report that said 9 of our starters from Sunday are not even contracted for next season yet.

We need to strengthen in quite a few areas.

I would sing up Matt Hass for 1 more year, try to get a QB in the draft or a decent trade (Vince young or Kevin Kolb please Jon schneider)!!Our O-Line needs a right tackle badly, we have Okung at LT but we never had any consistency in selection all year and we had no run game at all for 90% of the season. Replace Milloy at safety and Trufants best days are behind him at CB so secondary is a major concern for me, Earl Thomas will be great for us in years to come but he is young and needs some help along the way.

We could use a reciever who can actually hold onto the ball when the big plays are on the line, Obomanu and Butler are young and have potential and Mike Williams looks like he will be solid. Give Stokley another year as he was a big 3rd down guy for us at times.

I like our defense overall but we need a better pass rush from our front 4. Our Linebackers are probably our strongest part of the team just now so they can stay the same.

Overall still quite a bit of work to do in Seattle but I think Carroll is the man for the job!

Go Hawks!

I know the jets won in,Pittsburgh a month ago but this time I Dnt see lightning striking twice. I think this will be 1 step too far for them this season but they have to be pleased with the progress under big Rex this year.

NFL players' union files collusion claim against the league's owners.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfllabor-collusion

WASHINGTON (AP)—The NFL players’ union filed a collusion claim against the league’s owners, another move in the back-and-forth between the sides as they near the expiration of their labor contract.

The union originally had until December—90 days after the start of the season—to accuse teams of conspiring to restrict players’ salaries last offseason, but the league agreed to extend that deadline.

“They have filed that claim. They filed it probably a week ago. There has been no activity at this point. But it’s something that was not unexpected,” the league’s lead labor negotiator, Jeff Pash, said Tuesday, when owners met in Atlanta. “It’s just another piece of litigation that we have to work our way through. So we will do that.”

AdChoices

The case is before Stephen Burbank, the same special master who is considering a complaint about the league’s TV contracts, which the union says were set up to guarantee the NFL money even if there were a lockout this year.

Union spokesman George Atallah said Tuesday he could not comment on the collusion case. Pash said no date has been scheduled for a hearing.

“It is something they were committed to doing. Their attorneys told us that they didn’t see any reason to delay it any further,” Pash said. “Our reaction was, ‘That’s fine. If you feel you have a claim and want to file, go ahead and file.”’

Collusion has been an issue in Major League Baseball, and as recently as September, for example, players and owners in that sport settled allegations of possible collusion against free agents after the 2008 and 2009 seasons. As part of the agreement—with no admission of guilt by the teams—some of baseball’s free-agency rules were changed.

In the 1980s, arbitrators found baseball teams acted in concert against free agents following the 1985, 1986 and 1987 seasons, and the sides agreed to a $280 million settlement—which took until 2005 to be completely distributed to the players following claims hearings.

NFL owners and players are trying to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement to replace the one that expires in March. Among the key issues are how league revenues will be split by the sides moving forward; the possible move to an 18-game regular season; a rookie wage scale; and pensions for former players.

In Atlanta, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked about the collusion claim.

“It’s more litigation. I’ve said before: This is not going to get resolved through litigation,” Goodell said, according to the NFL Network. “It will get resolved through negotiation. It’s time to get to the table and negotiate.”

The union’s TV complaint that Burbank is considering says the NFL structured contracts with its broadcast partners to make sure rights fees would be paid even with no games in 2011—while not maximizing revenue from other seasons when the league would need to share that income with players. The union says that violates an agreement between the sides that says the NFL must make good-faith efforts to maximize revenue for players.

The union says the league will receive $4 billion in TV revenue this year, whether a season is played or not; the NFL says its TV contracts normally protect the league against the possibility that games might be lost.

Fans charged £125 to stand outside Super Bowl

The Super Bowl is probably the largest annual sporting event in the world so getting a ticket is next to impossible.

However, you might think that you can still experience a lot of the atmosphere by turning up at the stadium and milling around outside to watch American football's biggest game.

No problem – that will be $200 (£125) please.

This year's event is being held at the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium and the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is said to be determined to break the Super Bowl attendance record of 103,985 which happened in 1980.

The only problem is that the capacity of the stadium will be limited to around 93,000 for the match, so the Cowboys have come up with the novel idea selling extra tickets for 'a party plaza' where fans will be able to sit on the grass on the east side of the stadium and watch the game on the huge outside HD TV screens.

"We've never done this before," Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of corporate communications, said after announcing the deal.

What's more, the tickets for the plaza are only initially available in blocks of four, meaning you have to splash out a total of $800 (£500) to take the NFL and the Cowboys up on their offer.

Those who purchase the block of tickets do receive a free parking pass, four Super Bowl programs and four scarves, but unsurprisingly the move has been met with an angry response by fans.

"$200 to watch the Super Bowl from outside the stadium? Jerry Jones is an eye-patch away from being a Bond villain," wrote Alex Waldhour on Twitter.

Yahoo Sport! US blogger Chris Chase added: "How people standing outside a stadium counts as attendance is beyond me. If you're standing next to an unplugged TV, does that mean you'll be tallied in the Nielsen TV ratings?"

While Yahoo! Sports user The PatsFan joked: "Hey, I'm only charging $100 to stand outside my house in New Hampshire and watch the game on my big screen through the bay window. What a deal!"

Ticket prices to actually get inside the stadium start at $600 (£375) and range all the way up to $1,900 (£1,188) for the lower levels of the stadium, with touts charging way above that amount.

The match itself takes place on February 6th, with the Championship games to decide who plays in the Super Bowl taking place on the weekend of January 22-23.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/28614/

...And to think we moan about ticket prices :lol: