Rothen will prove his worth against Stuttgart

Gaz52

Home Football SPL Rangers

Jerome Rothen will prove his worth to Rangers against Stuttgart, says Pedro Mendes

Sep 15 2009

PEDRO MENDES has tipped Rangers newboy Jerome Rothen to play a key role in the club's Champions League campaign.

Mendes, 30, is preparing for his first match in the competition since he lifted the trophy with Porto in 2004.

On that occasion Rothen was in the opposing side as he lined up with Monaco.

Now the two are team mates though and Mendes reckons the newboy's experience will be crucial as the Gers square up to Stuttgart tomorrow night.

Rothen had a quiet start in his Rangers debut against Motherwell on Saturday.

But Mendes said: "Jerome is a very good player; it was only his first game in Scotland last weekend so it will take him time to get used to it.

"However, he has great experience in Europe so the Stuttgart game will not be a problem for him.

"Of course we faced each other in the 2004 Champions League final when I was with Porto and he was with Monaco and then we saw each other again in the summer when we played Paris St Germain in the Emirates Tournament.

"I reckon he is a good signing for us because he offers good delivery from the left side and he can be very effective from set pieces.

"These qualities could be very important against Stuttgart."

Meanwhile Mendes has turned to his best friend for inside knowledge as he plots the downfall of Stuttgart in Rangers' Champions League opener tomorrow.

The midfielder has been on the phone to fellow Portugal international Fernando Meira, who spent six seasons with Stuttgart, playing against Rangers two seasons ago in the group phase.

The two men came through the ranks together at Vitoria Guimaraes and have remained close.

Mendes told his club's official website: "Fernando is my best friend so I have been in touch with him to find out what they are all about.

"We know that they are a strong side and he has told me the players to look out for.

"They have lost Mario Gomez, who was an important striker for them but they are still a strong outfit so we know it will be a tough match for us."

And hes not even playing?

As I said in the other thread about this Walter frequently lies to the press before big games so take anything that is written with a massive pinch of salt.

Although I feel rothen is more likely to play at home, he will want 11 workers away from home, who knows though…..

Who knows? My first impression of Rothen was that he was slow and lazy but had a good left foot. Too early to judge him as we need to see more of him, but he did not seem to track back and left Papac exposed as M'well's French U21 RB went on to have a very good game.

I'd start him, simply for the set-pieces. We will have to take advantage of any corner or free kick we get, and without him, we have absolutely fucking NO BODY that can deliver a good ball, or get a shot on target from a free kick.

Not too sure about starting him tbh. Still lacking in match fitness.

yea.But maybe he will start if he does well in training.Saw him play for PSG and he was good last season.

Saw him plenty times last season, and, he wasn't that good. Has had a very up and down last two seasons.

Not fully fit, therefore, should not start in Germany.

yea.But maybe he will start if he does well in training.Saw him play for PSG and he was good last season.

Saw him plenty times last season, and, he wasn't that good. Has had a very up and down last two seasons.

<cr> Changed you tune mate...

Exactly the quality and type of player we require; a left footed, left winger. One who has the pace to glide past players, the ability to bring a ball down and run with it. He has quick feet and a great touch, he's not scared to take players on and is pretty skillful. Great passer of the ball, and his delivery is brilliant on a consistant level. He's also a danger at free-kicks, and, you'll get a lot of workrate from him.

Plenty of experience at top club and international level. The Jerome Rothen of 2001-2003 was one of the best left wingers in Europe IMO.

He started off on fire at PSG but then inconsistancy and poor performances hindered his game.

A move away to a club like Rangers is exactly what he needs.

Hopefully this goes through, because this will be a big coup for us!

Exactly the quality and type of player we require; a left footed, left winger. One who has the pace to glide past players, the ability to bring a ball down and run with it. He has quick feet and a great touch, he's not scared to take players on and is pretty skillful. Great passer of the ball, and his delivery is brilliant on a consistant level. He's also a danger at free-kicks, and, you'll get a lot of workrate from him.

Plenty of experience at top club and international level. The Jerome Rothen of 2001-2003 was one of the best left wingers in Europe IMO.

He started off on fire at PSG but then inconsistancy and poor performances hindered his game.

Not changed my tune at all. Go and read ther other threads on Rothen. Where I said he has struggled over the last few seasons for a number of reasons.

Doesn't make him a bad player. A 60 minute debut is all he's had.

If he finds his form of two years ago, then he can have a massive impact in the Champions League.

Over the last few seasons he has been a little bit off form, inconsistant, and, not really enjoying his football as much, for a few reasons. He was a bit of a hit or miss last season, but when he performed, he played well, and showed that he still has it. He played in a more central attacking role for PSG last season at times, and did pretty well.

Hopefully a new beginning at the biggest club in the World will rejuvinate him, and bring the best in him. He'll certainly bring some much needed width and balance to the team, whether it be on the left of a midfield four or front three, and his excellent delivery and passing ability is big bonus.

Thankfully he can mix it with the big boys, and can take a challenge, so there shouldn't be many lightweight posts surrounding him.

The Jerome Rothen of 2000-2005 was one of the most under-rated left sided players in Europe. He was regularly linked with big money moves which never materialised - he was absolutely explosive in the 2004/05 season, and if he can recapture some of that form, he'll be an excellent signing.

The type of signings I demand from Rangers. I didn't think it was going to happen this summer, but the club did well in bringing a player like Rothen to the club.

;)

Does anyone else think that Davis would be the best player to man mark Hleb if they were really wanting to do it?

Sure, it negates his best qualities but the wee man is an absolute grafter and it is very rare you see him losing his man.

If he finds his form of two years ago, then he can have a massive impact in the Champions League.

Over the last few seasons he has been a little bit off form, inconsistant, and, not really enjoying his football as much, for a few reasons. He was a bit of a hit or miss last season, but when he performed, he played well, and showed that he still has it. He played in a more central attacking role for PSG last season at times, and did pretty well.

Hopefully a new beginning at the biggest club in the World will rejuvinate him, and bring the best in him. He'll certainly bring some much needed width and balance to the team, whether it be on the left of a midfield four or front three, and his excellent delivery and passing ability is big bonus.

Thankfully he can mix it with the big boys, and can take a challenge, so there shouldn't be many lightweight posts surrounding him.

The Jerome Rothen of 2000-2005 was one of the most under-rated left sided players in Europe. He was regularly linked with big money moves which never materialised - he was absolutely explosive in the 2004/05 season, and if he can recapture some of that form, he'll be an excellent signing.

The type of signings I demand from Rangers. I didn't think it was going to happen this summer, but the club did well in bringing a player like Rothen to the club.

;)

All right all right :lol: