Gers eye Polish striker Rasiak

likeacare

RANGERS are believed to be keeping tabs on Poland striker Grzegorz Rasiak, of Southampton.

The 6ft 3in, 28-year-old has bagged 19 goals this season in Saints' push to get back into the Premiership.

Gers No.3 Kenny McDowall went to look at Rasiak in Saturday's 1-0 win over Ipswich, but the former Derby County and Spurs man was an unused sub.

Rasiak was signed from White Hart Lane last May in a £2m deal after failing to make an impact in London.

advertisementBut the 35-times capped Poland frontman, who was a team-mate of Celtic duo Maciej Zurawski and Artur Boruc at the World Cup last year, has shone since his transfer to Southampton.

Gers boss Walter Smith is keeping his options open on the striking front with Dado Prso's future still unclear.

But he knows he needs to add firepower to a front line that has relied solely on the Kris Boyd's goals this season.

Source: Evening Times.

I watched Rasiak play a few times for Sounthampton on TV this season and he looks like he is a good striker. I think he is getting on a little bit but if he could help wrestle the title back from Celtic then i would more than welcome him.

Can we afford his wages though. I know it sounds pathetic but even the Championship sides offer players better money than we do. :angry2:

Grzegorz Rasiak

Date of Birth: 1979-01-12

Place of Birth: Stettino, Poland

Height: 6'3 ft

Weight: 13st 3lbs

Career Details

Club: Southampton (No 9)

Starts: 32

Position: Forward

Sub On: 3

Sub Off: 10

Goals: 19

Yellow Cards: 2

Red Cards: 0

Minutes On Pitch: 2750 (30.5 games)

He has a really good scoring record for Southampton and is apparently really good in the air.

There are some good players playing in the Championship who would be great signings, unfortunately I dont think Rasiak would be one of them. He is no better than Macjec Zurawski!!

how can we expect to compete with celtic if they have guyus like hesselink and we are getting guys like this?? We need to get better players than that IMO.

Would be a good signing IMO. We shouldn't knock him just because he plays in the Championship. Look how well Naylor has done for Celtic this season and he was never exactly a standout in the Championship either.

In overall quality The Championship is a far higher standard than the SPL and he has excelled at that level. I think he would score goals for fun up here. Again he's a player who might not be a direct starter but would certainly command atleast a place on the bench. He's been a regular goalscorer everwhere he has been except Tottenham. Here's his record:

Odra Wodzisław played 28 scored 9

Dyskobolia Grodzisk Wielkopolski played 66 scored 34

Derby County played 41 scored 18

Tottenham Hotspur played 8 scored 0

Southampton played 42 scored 21

Quite impressive IMO. Certainly no worse than Novo.

decent point mate, I just don't see how we can overtake celtic again as no doubt the guys they sign will be of a much higher calibre after their CL run this year and the extrra cash they have over us.

Yeah I know what you mean mate and I share your concern but the important thing for us is to build a squad which in time can compete with Celtic. I think Rasiak would add an option to our squad and if you look at our bench at the moment we don't have many of them.

The rebuilding process will be slow and frustrating but when it all falls together it will seem even sweeter.

Another point that might be worth noting is that it appears Walter is taking the time to actually watch his targets and if he really is scouting now, it's happening over a prolonged period of time. This can only be a good thing as it will ensure that we are signing the right players and not making panic signings in the hope that it will please the fans!

I don't think there is an issue on being able to afford him or his wages.

IMO if SDM or WS thought for a second that they couldn't afford him there wouldn't be any interest at all. The fact we are showing an interest proves we can afford him.

I haven't seen much of him this season so I can't speak on his behlaf of his abilities but hopefully WS and Coisty will do their homework before buying anyone

Scott McDonald would be a better signing. Younger and a hell of a lot cheaper and probably an all round better player. Like I said earlier, there are some cracking players in the Championship, unfortunately Rasiak isn't one of them!

Scott McDonald would be a better signing. Younger and a hell of a lot cheaper and probably an all round better player. Like I said earlier, there are some cracking players in the Championship, unfortunately Rasiak isn't one of them!

Good call on McDonald, I think we'll still go for him in the summer if he continues to play well.

hope we dont sign him as i dont think hes good enough, hes having a good season but one season doesnt make a good player. One spurs fan on a website put him in his worst ever spurs 11

"STR - Gregor Rasiak - Only played a handful of games but is out of his depth. Touch of a rapist, slower than a snail and poor physically, he is the worst player I have ever seen in a Spurs shirt."

No thank you, we do need an experienced international striker but hes not the one.