Rothen: My aim is to make a mark

Boab

Rangers FC midfielder Jérôme Rothen may be struggling with the Scottish weather but he is determined to "make his mark" during a season-long loan spell at Ibrox.

Monaco experience

The former French international left Paris Saint-Germain FC last month to move to Glasgow, and has quickly won a place in Walter Smith's side. In addition to four domestic appearances, Rothen has featured in both of Rangers' UEFA Champions League group games, a campaign which has captured his imagination. That should come as no surprise, however, given he was a UEFA Champions League finalist with AS Monaco FC in 2004. "You get teams below the star names – Barcelona, Man United, Milan, Inter, Real Madrid – who can pull off surprises because of their teamwork. That's what we managed to do at Monaco.

Last chance

"You've got to be solid in this competition, not make silly mistakes, and work for one another. I think I'm at a club like that, and that's what I like, because you need the team to function as a unit – from that point, individual players can emerge, not the opposite way round." Despite espousing the team ethic, however, the 31-year-old is keen to make an impact on a personal level. "I appreciate being here, I really do, because there's a chance for me to develop here," he added. "My aim is to make a mark because players come and go, hundreds pass from club to club, but few leave their mark. That's my aim. The years are going by, I'm 31. Whatever I can get out of it now, I will. I am making the most of these moments."

'Amazing emotions'

The one-time SM Caen and ES Troyes Aube Champagne prospect is eager to reiterate that it was the opportunity of sitting at Europe's top table again that excited him most about Rangers' offer. "The competition gets more and more prestigious," he said. "It's something special for me, because we had that incredible adventure at Monaco in my first year in the Champions League. It's the highest level, the best clubs, the best players – everything brought together to create a real spectacle. I'm lucky to be at Rangers, and my third year in the Champions League could still be a good season. It is time to relive some amazing emotions."

Culture change

While Rothen has settled well on the field, he is still acclimatising to life off it. "I didn't speak any English before coming here – and even less Scottish," he continued. "I'm learning quite quickly, I'm trying, but it's not straightforward. I also think the sun isn't allowed to come out here, there's a barrier to it. It's not the language barrier, it's the cloud barrier. Patrice Evra says that about Manchester – the sun isn't outdoors, but you find it on the pitch. It's about looking for happiness elsewhere, because everything's set up for excitement, to let you think only about football."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/...tions/ucl/index

Really nice interview.

If there was one thing that disappointed me (too strong a word, but there you go) about Sunday it was not seeing Rothen get on the pitch. I think he'll come good.

I also thought the decision to leave out Rothen was a bit strange, but it worked out in the end so I'm not too fussed

If there was one thing that disappointed me (too strong a word, but there you go) about Sunday it was not seeing Rothen get on the pitch. I think he'll come good.

I also thought the decision to leave out Rothen was a bit strange, but it worked out in the end so I'm not too fussed

I think it may have been down to us not having scored when he has been on the pitch and the fear that he may not have had the bottle for the usual old firm battle.

RANGERS loan star Jerome Rothen last night admitted he's still struggling to get to grips with the miserable Scottish weather.

The French international moved to Ibrox from Paris St-Germain on a short-term deal in August - and he is determined to make the most of his time in Glasgow.

But, even after two months here, the former Monaco ace revealed he is still struggling to adapt.

Rothen said: "I didn't speak any English before coming here - and even less Scottish! I'm learning quite quickly, I'm trying, but it's not straightforward.

"I also think the sun isn't allowed to come out here, there's a barrier to it. It's not the language barrier, it's the cloud barrier!

Patrice Evra says the same thing about Manchester - the sun isn't outdoors but you find it on the pitch.

"It's about looking for happiness elsewhere, because everything's set up for excitement, to let you think only about football.

Target "But I appreciate being here, I really do, because there's a chance for me to develop. My aim is to make a mark because players come and go, hundreds pass from club to club, but few leave their mark.

"That's my target. The years are going by and I'm now 31.Whatever I can get out of it, I will. I am making the most of this opportunity."

And Rothen reckons despite financial restraints, Rangers can make their mark on Europe this term, too.

He added: "You get teams below the star names - Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Inter, Real Madrid - who can pull off surprises because of their teamwork.

"You've got to be solid in the Champions League, not make silly mistakes and work for one another.

"I'm at a club like that, that's what I like, you need the team to function as a unit - from that point, individual players can emerge, not the opposite way round."

"I'm lucky to be at Rangers and my third year in the Champions League could still be a good season."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21733902/

I think Walter knew fine well that Sporting Integrity FC would have kicked phuk out of him and put him out for weeks.

after he signed for gers, a guy from paris had been on this site to say to us not to get too excited about rothen. said he was slow, but could retain the ball well, had a good delivery with his left foot, but often disappointed from corners and set pieces, normally not clearing the first defender, thus leaving the fans disappointed as they knew was capable of better. my first thought when i read this was, god he sounds just like charlie adam ! from what i have seen he is obviously a lot better than charlie, but i see where the psg fan was coming from with his delivery from corners, dont know if anyone else has been frustrated with them, but i'd love the guy to be a success at rangers and the above article sounds as if he is keen to do so.