Footballers who didn't fulfill their talent/wasted it

Butragueno

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to give this a wee thought and try not to mention any of the obvious one's.

Javier Portillo, when I was a wee boy, was getting rave reviews on Revista de La Liga every single week. Madrid's 'Next Big Thing' and a future Spanish star along with a certain Fernando Torres down the road, but he never made the step-up from the 'B' team to the first team and he's now playing his trade for Osasuna after a quiet spell with Gimnástic.

He's either a talent wasted or a talent exaggerated, but the fact that he's playing in Spain's top division suggests that it's probably the first.

I only caught the end of his career as I was a little too young, but I've heard that Stan Collymore could have been a cracking player had he got his head down and what not.

Jamie Redknapp, too. Although, that was down to injury and I'm sure that he had to retire earlier than he wanted through it.

Guest SandyWaTp
I think Ricardo Quaresma is one who hasn't fulfilled his potential, hes had all the moves to big teams, but looks like Porto may be his only club.

Good shout. He looked world-class at times for Porto, but hasn't produced it for Inter or Chelsea unfortunately.

Anyone remember Lentini?? Mooved to Milan for a world record fee (£13 mil I think) then had a car crash and I dont think he was ever the same after that.

Also, Paulo Sousa I seem to remember was hailed as a one time possible best player in the world. Think it was a knee injury wrecked his career

Sousa did nae bad surely? Back to back champions league wins with two different clubs?

Some would argue Gazza was the greatest wasted talent, although i wouldn't change him coming to us, he should have played

in a better league in his prime. Obviously injury ruined his time in Italy, but for the ability he had we should be ranking

him in the greatest European players of our time. Such a shame to see him now.

I wonder how things would have worked out for him if Sir Alex had signed him for Man Utd.

Guest SandyWaTp
Freddy Adu, though I can't believe he's still only 20.

I remember watching SSN ages ago (must've been 6 years) and seeing him score when he was 14. Seemed such a talent, look at him now :anguish: :pierre:

Freddy Adu, though I can't believe he's still only 20.

I remember watching SSN ages ago (must've been 6 years) and seeing him score when he was 14. Seemed such a talent, look at him now :anguish: :pierre:

I still think he'll fulfill at least some of the potential. A season at Belenenses will do him well; he needs to feel like a big fish in a small pond again. :pierre:

Simao - Wasted his talent alongside Quaresma at Barcelona

Pablo Aimar - Back in the Argentina squad but looked like a great player with Valencia

Mateja Kezman - Was a beast in Holland, scored something like 35 in 32 game but couldn't settle in England.

Milan Baros - Went to Liverpool but couldn't really settle.

Anthony le Tallec - Again a poor buy from Houllier.

Bruno Cheyrou - Labelled the 'new Zidane' by Houllier.

Junichi Inamoto - Went to Arsenal, Fulham, West Brom and Cardiff but didn't make an impression.

Guest SandyWaTp
Simao - Wasted his talent alongside Quaresma at Barcelona

Pablo Aimar - Back in the Argentina squad but looked like a great player with Valencia

Mateja Kezman - Was a beast in Holland, scored something like 35 in 32 game but couldn't settle in England.

Milan Baros - Went to Liverpool but couldn't really settle.

Anthony le Tallec - Again a poor buy from Houllier.

Bruno Cheyrou - Labelled the 'new Zidane' by Houllier.

Junichi Inamoto - Went to Arsenal, Fulham, West Brom and Cardiff but didn't make an impression.

Simao has done very well for himself