Was Mick McCarthy wrong last night?

Boab

He made ten changes last night for the trip to Old Trafford as he said he'd be judged on Burnley a few days later, I think that although I can see where he was coming from I think he was very wrong, and particularly for the fans that had travelled - what a kick in the teeth. I also think he's an utter shite Manager anyway.

By Simon Stone, Press Association Sport Chief Football Writer

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy defended his controversial team selection but admitted he could understand the angry reaction of his club's supporters following the 3-0 defeat at Manchester United.

McCarthy made 10 changes to the side that defeated Tottenham at White Hart Lane and, although his line-up competed well for half an hour, once Wayne Rooney opened United's account from the penalty spot, there was never any doubt about the result.

Nemanja Vidic headed home number two just before the break and Antonio Valencia profited from an excellent piece of skill from Dimitar Berbatov to crash home the third.

It was too much for the travelling Wolves faithful, who chanted "we want our money back", "where is our first team" and "£40 to watch the reserves" before making their way back down the M6.

"I can understand that reaction," said McCarthy.

"But at the end of the season I will be judged on whether Wolves have stayed in the Premier League or not.

"It was my strongest team - because it was a team with fresh legs."

McCarthy was clearly aware of the criticism his decision would unleash because he came to the post-match press conference armed with a piece of evidence that shows players' performances reduce by up to 40 per cent when they are forced to compete twice in three or four days.

And, having asked his players to mark their efforts at Spurs and been presented with a succession of 9.5s, he opted against asking the same players to push themselves again so soon afterwards.

"It was not a plan but when I saw those figures I knew there was no chance of the same type of performance on a Tuesday after a Saturday game," he said.

"I have a squad of 21 to pick from and I regard them all as first-team players."

McCarthy then picked through a succession of matches against high-profile opposition and questioned why his team selections on those occasions had not prompted so much debate.

"If I go into an opposition manager's office, or they come into mine, I don't get any sympathy if my team has just been slapped," he said.

"The pressure was off me on Saturday and I was starting to relax. I thought I would put it back on me again."

He didn't even drop so many folk for the Carling Cup!

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?...ual_230526.html

It's his decision to make Boab.

He shouldn't be pressured to play a stronger team just because they have a travelling support, he accepted that they were unlikely to get a result there so opted to rest his players for the Burnley game.

It's his head that'll roll if they don't get results, so IMO it's his call.

It's his decision to make Boab.

He shouldn't be pressured to play a stronger team just because they have a travelling support, he accepted that they were unlikely to get a result there so opted to rest his players for the Burnley game.

It's his head that'll roll if they don't get results, so IMO it's his call.

what was the final score?

Why is it that a Man Utd or Chelsea can be punished for fielding a weaker team but it's ok for Wolves?

Isn't there a rule within the EPL that says you have to play your top team every week?

if ah was a wolves fan ah would be raging at that prick.

£40 quid to watch your reserves.

You cannot take him serious with that voice, sounds like a miner from Yorkshire.

or an English man that thinks hes irish! :lol:

Why is it that a Man Utd or Chelsea can be punished for fielding a weaker team but it's ok for Wolves?

Isn't there a rule within the EPL that says you have to play your top team every week?

English Premier League Rule E20 states that clubs are required to field full-strength sides in every match but is very hard to enforce because managers often rotate their squads.

McCarthy was entitled to put out whatever side he likes, but he's put huge pressure on the team ahead of the Burnley game - if they don't get 3 points it will have backfired spectacularly.

Wolves surrendered before kick off last night, which was foolish. Manchester United haven't been great this season, have a patched up defence and have dropped points at home to Villa and Sunderland already this season. If Wolves' strongest XI had attacked the game last night it's not inconceivable they could have earned at least a point.

McCarthy's selection isn't comparable to big teams playing scratch sides in the Carling Cup - they still invariably win despite playing fringe players; Wolves had no chance with the team they fielded. Plus, fans know what they're going to get when they attend a League Cup fixture. The Wolves fans last night turned up expecting to see a strong team give it a go.

'£42 to watch the reserves' :lol:

It's his decision, if he felt like resting his 1st team players in a game that he didn't have much chance of winning, and focussing on more important ones, then it's up to him - not the attitude I'd expect from my manager, surrendering before the game has even started.

Of course he's within his rights, but I think it's a poor decision. Terrible for team morale, upsets the away supporters, gives the club a bad reputation in the league.

Fair enough making 3-4 changes, but 10!!! It was literally their reserves.

IMO, he is a prick and a shit manager. He is always so defeatist with his comments before playing big teams, and pretty much surrenders any chance of victory.

I hope they go down this season, and I think they probably will.

My mate was at the game last night, and he spent £86 including travel and he said the supporters were abosultely livid! Nice one Mick.....

The E20 rules is there to make sure that each team fields 11 players is it not?

There is no way the FA/Premier League can decide who Wolves first 11 should be.

"Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches"

Obviously this is not a strict rule as teams have rested players countless times in the past, but I think the uproar is because 10 ufnorced changes were made.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/8416359.stm