Older Bears, please respond.

polar bear

I've trying here and there, to try and get some response to my theory that,Walter is trying play the same old system that we were treated to

back in the sixties.He'll probably never admit to it but,you guys were there back then,same as me,and you have got to admit,it's pretty much the same eh?

and long may it continue. (tu)

I've trying here and there, to try and get some response to my theory that,Walter is trying play the same old system that we were treated to

back in the sixties.He'll probably never admit to it but,you guys were there back then,same as me,and you have got to admit,it's pretty much the same eh?

If you remember the 60's, you weren't really there. ! ;):sherlock:

True, it is indeed similar, but If you read the Scotland on Sunday article it was forced upon him. I really dont care as long as he keeps on doing it. Millar and Brand = Miller and Boyd?????

True, it is indeed similar, but If you read the Scotland on Sunday article it was forced upon him. I really dont care as long as he keeps on doing it. Millar and Brand = Miller and Boyd?????

Miller and Boyd couldn't lace these guys boots. Non comparison.

Now that we are out of Europe, Walter is just playing attacking football tactics now.

Top of the league for new year.

Always was the pinnacle for Ger's teams, usually do well at this time of year.

Ignoring a quality comparison between then and now, the other major difference is that then we had guys who played for the shirt. Shearer, Greig, Davis etc,. weren,t always world beaters but they ALWAYS gave 110%.

The name Baxter on the team sheet and the other teams were beaten before they took the field.

You could smell the fear from the tims in those days.

Walter may be trying to play the same system today, but you can,t make a silk purse out of a sows ear

The system may be there but the class isn,t.

Ignoring a quality comparison between then and now, the other major difference is that then we had guys who played for the shirt. Shearer, Greig, Davis etc,. weren,t always world beaters but they ALWAYS gave 110%.

The name Baxter on the team sheet and the other teams were beaten before they took the field.

Walter may be trying to play the same system today, but you can,t make a silk purse out of a sows ear

agreed :clap:

Trying to compare decades is an imprecise art form - I don't think it can be done.

The ball today, for example, is far lighter and more easily flighted than the old leather bladder of the 50's and early 60's - picture Jim Baxter with the ball of today and not only would he drop one of his trademark passes onto the toe of the flying winger (Henderson, Wilson, etc) but he'd pick out which number lace hole it would land on.

Training methods of today are completely different - back then they were lucky to see the ball, it was mostly general fitness work and running.......the endless running round the track.....endless, endless...........ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

That said, I'd still put most Rangers teams of the 1960's and early 70's up against today's lot and the "old guys" would win every time.

Class doesn't disappear with the passing of time.

:sherlock:

Certainly makes a change from smelling BO and shite off them!

I see it more like a 4-2-4 system rather than the 2-3-5 but essentially a throwback to the sixties "continental system" which blew away the old 50's-60's traditional set up. Call it what you like but as long as we keep asking other teams defensive questions and play at a high tempo, rather than sit back and hope for the best, I am happy.

I see it more like a 4-2-4 system rather than the 2-3-5 but essentially a throwback to the sixties "continental system" which blew away the old 50's-60's traditional set up. Call it what you like but as long as we keep asking other teams defensive questions and play at a high tempo, rather than sit back and hope for the best, I am happy.

3 2 5 m8

right back centre half left back

right half left half

outside right inside right centre forward inside left outside left

3 2 5 m8

right back centre half left back

right half left half

outside right inside right centre forward inside left outside left

Correct Davie, that was how I described it in a previous thread but all the posts were calling it 2-3-5 so I just pandered to the youngsters.

Niven, Shearer,Caldow, McColl,Young and Davis,Scott,Simpson,Murray, Baird and Hubbard was the first team I saw at Ibrox, (Don Kitchenbrand sometimes in for Baird.)

More it tune with the set-up when I started watching Rangers in the 70s under Jock Wallace, a 4-4-2. when we where attacking it became more a 4-2-4 because you had the wide players pushing up the wings. When you where defending they dropped back to give us a more defensive set-up of 4-4-2.

Now that we are out of Europe, Walter is just playing attacking football tactics now.

Agreed the old M&B were better.

Agreed the old M&B were better.

Henderson,McMillan,Miller,Brand,Wilson-----------Beasley,Davis,Boyd, Miller,Novo. Probably not quite as good,but very similar,me thinks. (tu)

I remember watching the Jim Baxter DVD, which frankly didn't really show him in such a good light, poor selection of clips. What it did on fact show was that Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand were a fucking outstanding partnership for Rangers.

My one memory of the 60s was the moonlanding when I was 4 ... hope it wasn't a hoax or my earliest childhood memory was a lie :lol:

Don't remember anything about football at the time but from old film it always looks like a slower game with more time on the ball

it was slower for certain.think back to the ball kit boots and ground conditions that games were played in and its obvious its was going to be a slower game.and how many of todays players could head that old leather ball dry let alone when wet.seen many so called hard men ducking out of that job

I remember watching the Jim Baxter DVD, which frankly didn't really show him in such a good light, poor selection of clips. What it did on fact show was that Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand were a fucking outstanding partnership for Rangers.

Agree with this. Even worse is the 1967 game versus England. I got this free with the NotW a few years ago and far from being a vintage Scottish performance it was a dire game with next to no quality on display. Charlton got injured early on and it killed the game as a contest due to there being no subs.