Kevin Thomson again tonight

Muiry12

reading some replies on here....

McCulloch can be important when he plays to his strengths...closing down, flying into tackles etc..every decent team has this kind of player

is he a brilliant footballer? no...but he can, and has been effective

Barry Ferguson...he was trying to do too much at Rangers....other players were smothered by him..he was trying to dictate too much(ma' ba')

he is much more effective at Birmingham where he isnt the central figure and just gets on with his game(defensive midfielder)

it is my opinion that we are ultimately a better team without him...not because of his footballing ability, but because he thought he was Rangers and thought that every move and descision had to go through him and god help anyone that didnt think this way

Good post. I'd agree with that. (tu)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thought him and mcculloch were poor tonight as was fleck who must be the unfittest 18/19 year old ive ever seen

I'm afraid I have to disagree chum. I thought that was Flecks best performance in a Rangers first team.

He does need to use his right foot a bit more but all in all I was more impressed with him than I have to date.

thought him and mcculloch were poor tonight as was fleck who must be the unfittest 18/19 year old ive ever seen

I'm afraid I have to disagree chum. I thought that was Flecks best performance in a Rangers first team.

He does need to use his right foot a bit more but all in all I was more impressed with him than I have to date.

agreed

he sat in and played many fine passes

when he matures as a player he may be able to play up front

he did ok last night

At first it was "time to settle", now its his injury, FFS he has played a lot of games this season and has been pish in just about them all.

Was never a fan tbh, too slow and vastly overrated. The only player more overated than him in scottish football is Broonaldo.

Even at his "peak", what was so special? Mendes made him look better with his movement. If it wasnt for the Broon situation he wouldnt gte anything like the patience he is shown.

I haven't been impressed with our midfield this season but I haven't watched the 7-1 thrashing of Dundee United yet. I agree with JimBeam that Walter shouldn't be playing two defensive holding midfielders in the same starting 11.

Haven't seen all the matches but have yet to be impressed by Mendes, Edu or Thomson this season. Davis works hard but still doesn't seem to know what to do in the 18.

Glad they won today but they're making it awfully hard on us most games this season.

For our midfield to look decent me must have Steve Davis in the middle and either novo or Beasley on the right for me.... Novo was an attacker last night but how often was he on the right flank. Preferably Beasley on the left when he is fit showing the form he did before he got injured (again)

Thomson looks slow and tries to stroll through the game without breaking a sweat. Thought he looked nervous on the ball at times last night.

(tu)

Really? I recorded it because I like watching the good games back when I get home from them. I will give it a watch tomorrow still thought he was the best of a bad bunch.

No he wasn't, what the other doesn't realise that is the job of a holding midfielder break up play and pass it 9 times out of ten sideways, then let the wingers or other creative midflelder ( unfortunatly ours was thomson) develop play.

sorry? i know what a holding midfielder should do, mccullochs a striker playing in midfield, their job(DM) is NOT to pass the ball 9 times out of 10 sideways!!!!! :lol: novo and fleck can create, davis can create, why didnt he pass to them, coz they were ahead of him? doh:lol:

I ment 9 times out of ten it tends to be a sidepass!! The makalele role which he made is own, if you noticed him he was having a bad game. Look im not mcculloch's biggest fan all im stating is that people are quick to attack him when thomson has been a shadow on the park of his former self!!!!

If this is Thomson's new 'level' following a number of really bad injuries, then Rangers will need to decide whether or not to cut losses with the guy.

Thought he started okay, but he's so lethargic and missed so many interceptions and tackles that the old Thommo would have gobbled up no problem.

Edu is better than McCulloch!

Edu will be part of our future, the guy is a talented footballer and is 23 years old. Showed before his injury, that he can play at a level required of a Rangers footballer.

There is absolutely no need to be playing two holding midfielders in the same side, it doesn't work. We have seen it all too often.

Thomson still trying to find his A game IMO agree Edu will take some time to find his game again , the thing with knee injuries is imo its more a mental thing than physical , been over a year and a few months since i did mine in and im still reluctant to put my foot into a 50/50 and i used to love the 50/50 challenges im just a little over protective of my knee now

How long do we give Kevin Thomson? Since coming back, he's picked up niggling injuries, which are always a problem after a serious injury, and IMO, will always hamper him for the rest of his career.

He took part in pre-season, and played in a few of our games. So far, he has played 20 competative games for the 1st team this season, and is still nowhere near being fit. His lack of pace was a worry before, well he's now even slower, he's contiually getting caught out of position, and is very wasteful. The opposition are running rings around him, and his timing in the challenge is woeful. I don't think he will ever come back the same player.

He's had about 1 or 2 good games this season, and the rest have been pretty poor and at this stage of the season, there is no room for passengers.

I'd rather Kevin Thomson had been sent out on loan, and Jordan McMillan had remained at the club, because he would have been a better option in the middle of the park.

Thomson's lack of fitness, sharpness, pace, mobility, timing, creativity, especially when playing in the middle with another defensive/holding midfielder is a major worry.

We have problems in midfield due to Thomson and Edu not being match fit - add Pedro too, and Fleck is never living up to his hype. Youngsters like Ness dont get a chance and Davis is not always played in the middle.

Our midfield also needs wingers to work and both are injured nearly all the time.

Conclusion we will struggle greatly for weeks in midfield.