Golf

kplfishtank

Another poor medal on Saturday and now upto 7.4 so teetering on the brink of playing off 8 for the first time in 4yrs. :(

Anyway, got my midweek medal on Tuesday to sort that out, then playing The Roxburghe on Friday before my matchplay singles final on Saturday.

Have played really well in the ties so far, so just hope it continues for 1 more round on finals day.

2 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Another poor medal on Saturday and now upto 7.4 so teetering on the brink of playing off 8 for the first time in 4yrs. :(

Anyway, got my midweek medal on Tuesday to sort that out, then playing The Roxburghe on Friday before my matchplay singles final on Saturday.

Have played really well in the ties so far, so just hope it continues for 1 more round on finals day.

Good luck - will keep fingers crossed for you :) 

4 hours ago, TheCutch said:

How did it go Cushy?

I made 2 finals. I got beat in both. 2&1 in the singles and beat on the last in the 4 ball. Not sure i could have played much better in the singles  - the other guy didn't put a foot wrong though. Ran out of steam a little in the  4 ball match.

Totally and utterly gutted to be honest though.

2 hours ago, cushynumber said:

I made 2 finals. I got beat in both. 2&1 in the singles and beat on the last in the 4 ball. Not sure i could have played much better in the singles  - the other guy didn't put a foot wrong though. Ran out of steam a little in the  4 ball match.

Totally and utterly gutted to be honest though.

Unlucky mate. Tough going playing 2 ties in the one day. Especially finals. 

After over two years away from golf due to major spinal surgery, I hit balls last night for the first time at the range.

50 balls ranging from wedges to 8 iron and although there is still a bit of instability it was fucking great. 

Actually hit few good strikes.

Motivation is through the roof. 

5 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

After over two years away from golf due to major spinal surgery, I hit balls last night for the first time at the range.

50 balls ranging from wedges to 8 iron and although there is still a bit of instability it was fucking great. 

Actually hit few good strikes.

Motivation is through the roof. 

Golfers never loose it :D

What was your handicap before you got surgery ? 

11 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Golfers never loose it :D

What was your handicap before you got surgery ? 

Was playing off 2 before it n it's been hell no playing at all. 

I'm going to be nothing like that standard anytime soon, but I'd happy take week after week of blasting high 80s just to be playing again. 

5 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Was playing off 2 before it n it's been hell no playing at all. 

I'm going to be nothing like that standard anytime soon, but I'd happy take week after week of blasting high 80s just to be playing again. 

Are you still a member anywhere ? 

Yeah will be tough to get your sharpness 100 yards and in I think that's the key to having a low handicap. 

Just had a look at my howdidido there down 10 shots in the last 3 years. Started at 18.1 now down to 7.8. Don't feel I strike the ball well and struggle with my long irons driving is a lot more consistent and 8/10 times a would fancy myself to get up and down inside 30 yards my putting saves me a ton of shots. 

3 minutes ago, pcbear said:

What irons do you all use?

Ive been thinking of upgrading, i'm off 15 ish handicap and use Taylormade burners atm.

Funny you ask that pcbear, I've been looking at new irons all day. 

I play with a set of mizuno forged irons currently, custom fitted etc. Had them for around 10 years and with modern technology it's time to change.

Liked a few things sets today, definitely be a forged iron, liked a set of mizuno again, cobra and a set of srixon caught my eye. 

5 minutes ago, pcbear said:

What irons do you all use?

Ive been thinking of upgrading, i'm off 15 ish handicap and use Taylormade burners atm.

A little what's in the bag for me.

Ping G driver 

Ping i20 3 wood 

Titleist hybrid 19 degrees

Titleist AP1 3-Pw ( 2 degrees upright) 

SM6 vokey 50 degree and SM4 54 degree 

Odyssey putter with a fatso grip got it 2nd hand for £45 a few years ago best buy I have ever made. 

Callaway chrome soft balls

Whats in your bags :D

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Funny you ask that pcbear, I've been looking at new irons all day. 

I play with a set of mizuno forged irons currently, custom fitted etc. Had them for around 10 years and with modern technology it's time to change.

Liked a few things sets today, definitely be a forged iron, liked a set of mizuno again, cobra and a set of srixon caught my eye. 

Ive only started playing again after two years out, nothing like your drama's though, just work at the start then I couldn't be arsed for a while, had a go on the range last week to see if could still hit it, then a couple of 9 holes and a twilight last night, my irons would have to be forgiving so prob cavity, any advice gratefully accepted.

4 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Are you still a member anywhere ? 

Yeah will be tough to get your sharpness 100 yards and in I think that's the key to having a low handicap. 

Just had a look at my howdidido there down 10 shots in the last 3 years. Started at 18.1 now down to 7.8. Don't feel I strike the ball well and struggle with my long irons driving is a lot more consistent and 8/10 times a would fancy myself to get up and down inside 30 yards my putting saves me a ton of shots. 

Yeah member at Lanark mate.

Short game has always been good so quite confident there, just need to be as I def won't be knocking it as far ha.

That's a great drop in handicap in 3 years, I found hardest bit is from 6 down but most benefit comes from plenty practice on the range n putting green, if you can chip and putt you can get really low. 

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

Ive only started playing again after two years out, nothing like your drama's though, just work at the start then I couldn't be arsed for a while, had a go on the range last week to see if could still hit it, then a couple of 9 holes and a twilight last night, my irons would have to be forgiving so prob cavity, any advice gratefully accepted.

I'd advice going for a combo set, between a cavity and muscle back, you will notice a real benefit when you start to get a rhythm going on your swing. 

Best bet is pop into a pro shop, American golf etc n pick out a few n test them, you soon get a feeling for what you like. 

I have a weird thing where it's about how it sits behind the ball and can't be too chunky. 

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah member at Lanark mate.

Short game has always been good so quite confident there, just need to be as I def won't be knocking it as far ha.

That's a great drop in handicap in 3 years, I found hardest bit is from 6 down but most benefit comes from plenty practice on the range n putting green, if you can chip and putt you can get really low. 

Yeah think I will struggle now had a 71 today so was steady but was looking at the 60's then took a stupid 6 on the 16th. Just trying to focus on greens in regulation. 

Were you in the team at Lanark ? 

3 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I'd advice going for a combo set, between a cavity and muscle back, you will notice a real benefit when you start to get a rhythm going on your swing. 

Best bet is pop into a pro shop, American golf etc n pick out a few n test them, you soon get a feeling for what you like. 

I have a weird thing where it's about how it sits behind the ball and can't be too chunky. 

Fancied new irons myself a couple of months ago but hitting mines ok the now.

Have a look at the Callaway Apex Forged irons they look cracking and feel good. 

9 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

A little what's in the bag for me.

Ping G driver 

Ping i20 3 wood 

Titleist hybrid 19 degrees

Titleist AP1 3-Pw ( 2 degrees upright) 

SM6 vokey 50 degree and SM4 54 degree 

Odyssey putter with a fatso grip got it 2nd hand for £45 a few years ago best buy I have ever made. 

Callaway chrome soft balls

Whats in your bags :D

Taylormade R11 8.5 degree stiff shaft

Taylormade v steel 3 wood, 15 degree stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner Hybrid 19 degree stiff shaft

Mizuno combo set mp30 3-7 irons, mp33 8-pw irons

52, 58 degree mizuno black raw ox wedges.

Odyssey number 9 blade putter

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Taylormade R11 8.5 degree stiff shaft

Taylormade v steel 3 wood, 15 degree stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner Hybrid 19 degree stiff shaft

Mizuno combo set mp30 3-7 irons, mp33 8-pw irons

52, 58 degree mizuno black raw ox wedges.

Odyssey number 9 blade putter

Sand wedge?

6 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Yeah think I will struggle now had a 71 today so was steady but was looking at the 60's then took a stupid 6 on the 16th. Just trying to focus on greens in regulation. 

6 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

It's a long term thing though mate, just got to plug away. I played my best golf when I was young as you have more time to practice.

No played with the team for a while but used to years ago.