Rangers have the best defence in Britain

WilliamFyfe

The Light Blues rearguard has been reported as being the third-best in Europe and no senior league team in Britain has lost less league goals than Walter Smith's side.

While strikes from Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller have been key to Gers' good season at one end of the park, there's no doubt keeping clean sheets at the other has helped too.

Just 15 goals have been lost in the SPL and that has drawn much-deserved praise from the assistant manager after seven clean sheets in the last nine games.

McCoist won't go as far as to say it's the stubborn nature of champions' back line that will settle the title race.

But he certainly appreciates that with the team being so resolute, it will help in the long run.

McCoist said: "I don't know if I would say our defence is the difference between the sides. You could look at both teams and say there are strengths in each.

"All I would say is that at this moment in time, we are thrilled with the way the boys have been defending as a unit.

"The lads will tell you that comes from the front and guys like Lee McCulloch have been standing up really well for us.

"I am surprised to hear our defensive record stands up quite as well against other countries but it is great to hear. It's a real compliment to the whole team."

Another key factor in how Rangers are doing just now is the unrelenting spirit in their dressing room.

McCoist feels the players' desire to succeed for each other is keeping them on course for what they want to achieve this season.

He added: "The spirit the boys have in the dressing room is fantastic and it's a very, very important factor in how they are doing.

"I have said for a long, long time that a happy dressing room might not guarantee you the league title but it gives you a far better chance of getting it.

"Our squad looks as though it has a great spirit and a great bond. Even when we haven't played well, there's been a great resilience there.

"The lads have shown a bit of steel and defiance and we've picked up some good draws when we haven't been able to win.

"I'd count our result at Motherwell last week as a good draw and the result at Celtic Park was the same.

"They were games in which we weren't playing particularly well and were in danger of losing but we dug in and ground it out."

Interview with Ally McCoist http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100216/case-for-the-defence_2254024_1967912

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/solid-foundation-rangers-have-third-best-defensive-record-in-europe-1.1006765

What a stat that is indeed! credit goes to Big Davie Weir, Boogie, Papac, Young Wilson, Whittaker and Broadfoot (tu)

* Forgot to add Allan McGregor god!

Well done Rangers

Its hilarious when you think that Celtic conceded a third of the goals we have conceded all year in a single match against the sheep. :lol:

hahah great point!

i cant believe we have only conceded 12 goals!

We have conceded 15, in the League.