Another 'what if' thread.....

papaguy51

What if Neil Alexander comes in on Sunday and plays a blinder?

Many people don't think he should have been dropped at the start of this year, so if he puts in a great performance on Sunday, should he be between the sticks for the forseeable future?

Be it his fault or not, McGregor is a magnet for trouble and going MIA at the business end of the season is becoming all to common with him now.

Do we finally give Mr Dependable his chance? I leave it to you.........

A pattern seems to be emerging. McGregor plays well for most of the season then either gets injured/fucks up Alexander steps in does brilliantly and the debate over who should be number 1 begins all over again.

No matter how Neil Alexander play's, I'd have him in the starting 11 for the rest of the season. You can't judge someone who has hardly played all season, in one game.

Never let's us down - someone you can rely on, never mumping, moaning, or causing a scene... a model professional, who just wan't to get on with his job, and perform.

On the other hand you can say that Allan McGregor has saved us many points this season and for that reason alone should carry on between the sticks.

IMO McGregor will start on Sunday and he will stay No.1 until the end of the season. Walter Smith has said on numerous ocassions that McGregor is his No.1 and his selections have justified this as he has came back into the side nearly every time after injury or any other reason.

A pattern seems to be emerging. McGregor plays well for most of the season then either gets injured/fucks up Alexander steps in does brilliantly and the debate over who should be number 1 begins all over again.

True.

Alexander's probably sitting there at Hogmanay thinking: "Not long until Greegsy shags the wrong burd/gets leathered/abuses a shite Scotland manager again - fucking yaldy!"

On the other hand you can say that Allan McGregor has saved us many points this season and for that reason alone should carry on between the sticks.

IMO McGregor will start on Sunday and he will stay No.1 until the end of the season. Walter Smith has said on numerous ocassions that McGregor is his No.1 and his selections have justified this as he has came back into the side nearly every time after injury or any other reason.

I also agree with you.

McGregor has improved at coming for crosses and he's pulled off the best collection of saves, along side Joe Hart, that any keeper in Britain has this year.

That one from Samaras in the 1-1, and there was another save against Unirea away that was just unbelievable.

True.

Alexander's probably sitting there at Hogmanay thinking: "Not long until Greegsy shags the wrong burd/gets leathered/abuses a shite Scotland manager again - fucking yaldy!"

That's probably the reason why he hasn't requested a move and willing to bide his time.

McGregor is our number one. Alexander will get the number one jersey next season when McGregor goes. We are lucky too have two great keepers, Alexander will get his chance sooner rather than later it seems. But I would be happy for McGregor to finish the season as our number one.

If Alexander ever brings out an autobiography, it should be titled: "Nice guys finish last."

He just appears too nice for his own good. Has he actually EVER done anything wrong on the pitch or off the pitch for us?

I also agree with you.

McGregor has improved at coming for crosses and he's pulled off the best collection of saves, along side Joe Hart, that any keeper in Britain has this year.

That one from Samaras in the 1-1, and there was another save against Unirea away that was just unbelievable.

The save at Tynecastle in the second game of the season was world class.

My mate, who is an avid Man Utd fan and very rarely says anything good about Rangers, described it as the best save he has ever seen!

If Alexander ever brings out an autobiography, it should be titled: "Nice guys finish last."

He just appears too nice for his own good. Has he actually EVER done anything wrong on the pitch or off the pitch for us?

Nope, think he is a proper family man. Well behaved and that.

To be fair Alexander ain't done too badly out of Rangers. A championship medal, two Scottish Cups and appeared in a UEFA Cup Final. Will play in the CIS Cup Final this season as well so it will be a full house in three seasons. Not bad for a supposed number 2.

I also agree with you.

My mate, who is an avid Man Utd fan and very rarely says anything good about Rangers, described it as the best save he has ever seen!

I can remember fragments of that, how did it go again?!

He did fuck up for the goal though, if I remember correctly?

NEVER, been incredible on the park and is a great guy of it, same with McGregor though, he just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time a bit much (td)

I also agree with you.

I can remember fragments of that, how did it go again?!

He did fuck up for the goal though, if I remember correctly?

Yes he was at fault for the first goal.

Early in the second half, Hearts had a corner and someone flicked it on and McGregor was heading away from the ball but somehow managed to get a finger to the ball when it looked impossible to do so and tipped it onto the crossbar.

I'd be happy with either outcome, ultimately.

Walter has said Greegs is his number one. I don't see him dropping him, I can see him being sold in the summer though.

I was in the camp that wanted Alexander to continue as number 1 at the end of last season and I'd be happy if/when he ever does pick up the reigns as a number 1. It certainly wouldn't suprise me if he's sticking around because he's expecting McGregor to leave at the end of the season.

To be fair Alexander ain't done too badly out of Rangers. A championship medal, two Scottish Cups and appeared in a UEFA Cup Final. Will play in the CIS Cup Final this season as well so it will be a full house in three seasons. Not bad for a supposed number 2.

Have to agree with this. Most keepers would jump at the chance of being a number 2 with those honours to his name!

I was hoping that McGregor would play in the game on Sunday, but if he isn't back training till the end of the week we might just see Alexander getting the go ahead. If Alexander plays then the decision as to whether he keeps the No.1 spot till the end of the season is a very difficult one. At the end of the day he's the No.2 keeper and a temporary move to the No.1 position is just that - temporary! Leaving McGregor in the No.2 position for the rest of the season would reduce his value as well, which isn't exactly a smart thing to do if the club wanted to consider selling him in the summer.

In terms of ability Macgregor just shades it, but maybe if we saw more of Alexander that opinion would change. Its good having a quality back up. I remember having the likes of Maxwell, Thomson and Snelders backing up The Goalie and you really did not trust any of them to fill in successfully.

I would be happy for Alexander to come in and finish off the season. Macgregor clearly still has a lot to learn about his off field activites. Wether it was his fault or not, you dont see the likes of Boyd, Miller or Davis in the papers with this sort of crap following them around.

Well we have a precedent of last season when Walter showed he had no qualms dropping McGregor for Alexander, so perhaps history will repeat itself?

I think Alexander himself has pretty much accepted that while McGregor is at the club, he will always be second choice.

Latest incidents might see Smith change his mind right enough but Id doubt it.