Pedro Mendes

roboscot

I was disappointed when he left and I, grudgingly, accept that we needed the dough and he has a World Cup place to play for.

By the few match reports I've read he has scored in Europe and played 8 league matches.

If he had stayed and got his match-fitness back, how do you think the team would be performing with him in it? Who would Walter have dropped, Big Lee? Would it be PM and KT in the middle and still have Davis on the right or drop Thomson and have Davis and Mendes with any of Novo/Beasley/Edu/Naismith/Fleck/Lafferty out wide and Boyd and Miller up front?

I think he could have played the Barry role perfectly and given Davis room to control the team going forward. He played his best football when Ferguson was out injured at the start of last season.

I miss the wonderful goals he scored but I think our midfield is still well covered. We just need to experiment how to best utilize our players there. I think Davis in midfield with Edu and Thompson could work out well with perhaps Fleck playing just behind the strikers.

I disagree. Mendes turned up when he wanted, always went for the most difficult passes when there was simpler more effective options available and only put on a performance when he could be bothered.

If he lost a ball in midfield he never tried to win it back. Scoring a wonder-goal against them may have shone a brighter light on him for a while, but he never produced regularly.

He stifled Ferguson when played alongside him - not the other way around - and anyone playing alongside him had to carry the can for his mistakes, ill judged passes and being pushed off the ball.

Im sorry, Mendes HAD the talent, he HAD the skill, but like many who come here to ply their trade in the SPL (Lovenkrands etc), he never bothered using it. He was, in my opinion, one of the reasons our strikers didn't get as much support as they needed.

Good riddance I say, maybe he suits life in Portugal better, maybe he has bothered to try and play football there, but he certainly didn't in the SPL.

I disagree. Mendes turned up when he wanted, always went for the most difficult passes when there was simpler more effective options available and only put on a performance when he could be bothered.

If he lost a ball in midfield he never tried to win it back. Scoring a wonder-goal against them may have shone a brighter light on him for a while, but he never produced regularly.

He stifled Ferguson when played alongside him - not the other way around - and anyone playing alongside him had to carry the can for his mistakes, ill judged passes and being pushed off the ball.

Im sorry, Mendes HAD the talent, he HAD the skill, but like many who come here to ply their trade in the SPL (Lovenkrands etc), he never bothered using it. He was, in my opinion, one of the reasons our strikers didn't get as much support as they needed.

Good riddance I say, maybe he suits life in Portugal better, maybe he has bothered to try and play football there, but he certainly didn't in the SPL.

have to disagree with this bit. mendes flourished until he was in midfield with ferguson. his amazing start to his ibrox career hindered him afterwards. expectation levels were too high. he put in a decent shift 9/10 games and yes he did give the ball away a bit mroe than others but he had the creative spark we are so desperately lacking right now.

I think it's a typical case of 'What If' with us. He was without a doubt one of the most talented players in the squad, but his injury kept him out for long enough, and when he was fit we didn't really 'miss' him, and because of his last World Cup coming up, he needed to be in Portugal so we didn't grudge him.

I reckon we miss a player like him in the middle now though unless Edu or McCulloch/Thomson was to step up and show some responsibility.

Hindsight is a fickle thing eh? Mendez had all the ability in the world but only showed it in fleeting glimpses. He scored a couple of crackers but gave the ball away far too often and gave away too many free kicks. Edu offers more to the team by keeping it simple and is far better in the tackle.

We have missed his occasional moments of brilliance but imo he was not justifying the massive salery he was on, especially towards the end of his tme with us.

It’s the usual story though, fans think players were ten times as good as they actually were when there gone.

Yes.

Thought it was a bad move for us at the time. Left us with only davis as a "playmaker" in midfield. Fed up with us playing 2 ball winners in the center of midfield. First to admit Mendes was pretty inconsistant but even when having a poor game could pull a goal making pass or goal out of the bag.

We are 10 points clear despite selling Mendes when we shouldn't have. Missed his type of player badly when Davis was out.

Shouldn't have sold him when we did IMO.

Hindsight is a fickle thing eh? Mendez had all the ability in the world but only showed it in fleeting glimpses. He scored a couple of crackers but gave the ball away far too often and gave away too many free kicks. Edu offers more to the team by keeping it simple and is far better in the tackle.

We have missed his occasional moments of brilliance but imo he was not justifying the massive salery he was on, especially towards the end of his tme with us.

It’s the usual story though, fans think players were ten times as good as they actually were when there gone.

Ahhhgggg MENDES!!!!

When he was on he was brilliant. When he wasn't on he was drifting through games aimlessly. Unfortunatetly for me he seemed to be off more than on.

I would say no overall we haven't missed him.

Honestly, I've forgotten all about him.

Shame to say I kind of forgot about him as well :anguish:

Very good player when he was at Ibrox though, and an important part of the squad last season. We were lucky to have plenty of cover in midfield though.

At times Pedro Mendes was sensational for us but the majority of games he drifted in and out of them.

His first month at the club gave us all false expectations about him. Still a quality player on his day although there was not enough of them days.

I'd like to have seen him in the middle of the park alongside Davis or in a midfield trio with Davis, and Thomson/Edu.

It wasn't to be, the manager preferred other players, and he was moved on. Have we missed him, yes, and no. Your alway's going to miss a quality player - he could put his foot on the ball, play a defence splitting pass, add a bit of urgency, quality... he had the ability to change a game with a moment of brilliance.

i dont think we miss mendes apart from the odd brilliant game he was not consistent enough when we needed him most against say a hamilton or st mirren who sit with everyman behind the ball he was a passenger but there is no disputing his class when he plays as we all know he can i think davis is a better player anyway

Ahhhgggg MENDES!!!!

:blush: oops